11 More Days!

Discussion in 'Family & Relationships' started by Ronni Gates, Sep 29, 2020.

1. Ronni Gates

Ronni Gates Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

We went and got our marriage license today!

Sometimes I have trouble believing I’m actually getting married again! I mean, I’m pushing 70! I swore I’d never marry again after my last disaster of 30+ years.

I sure wasn’t looking, was very happy with my very full and active single life, yet here I am, even happier now!

Did any of you get married later in life?

2. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Well not this late...but hey your happy and will have a companion which is good.
    Just relax and hope your wedding day will be simple and less stress.:)

Maggie Rose and Ronni Gates like this.
  3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I can't imagine making that kind of change in my life at this stage.

But we're all wired differently.

4. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I wish you every happiness, Ronni. Good luck and enjoy this new phase of your life.

5. Maggie Rose

Maggie Rose Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Congratulations and I wish you all the best! I often wondered if people find another mate after a certain age. You've answered that question. Good luck you two!

Thomas Stearn and Ronni Gates like this.
  6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Congratulations.

Ronni Gates likes this.
  7. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Actually, I was 50 and my wife was 51, when we met thru a personal ad I had placed in a local magazine. That was back in 2000. Before then, I had been married twice, to the same lady, for about two years total. First time, annulled, second, divorce. Wife had been married/divorced twice. Both of us absolutely hated single life and that was one thing that brought us together. I had been single/divorced for 22 years and looked and looked and looked..........nothing!

We are both the "clingy" type, meaning that we absolutely love doing most everything together. I didn't have to worry about "girls night out" and she didn't have to think about me being out with the boys. Neither happened!

Neither of us were afraid at all of marriage. We were both "marriage minded".

8. Ronni Gates

Registered

I’ve never been the clingy type, personally if anyone gets that way with me I feel suffocated. I like my space as well as togetherness time.

I’m very tactile though and express my affection physically through hugs etc.

Thomas Stearn and Beth Gallagher like this.
  9. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Actually, Ronni, I've had a few ladies, and men, tell me how surprised they were that wife and I do very little-to-nothing apart. I will tell them: our powerboat doesn't go on the water without both of us on it, we both fish, we both go to the gun range and on and on. Neither of us want "space".

And, being "clingy" sure didn't get with the ladies I met before my wife. My wife actually gave up a very close girlfriend to do the things I loved, like rodeo action. The girlfriend had absolutely no interest in rodeo at all.

10. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Ditto.

11. Ronni Gates

Registered

Well the weather for our wedding day looked absolutely perfect.....till Tropical Storm Delta showed up!!

High 70's and sunny turned into rain and sustained winds. Not cold, just stormy. :eek:

Thankfully it's just family, and I've planned the day to be relaxed and flexible, so no matter what happens, it will all work out. I'm not actually setting a time for the wedding till sometime late tomorrow. By then I'll have a better handle on how things will go...Delta hasn't made landfall in the US yet, and that will have an effect on how soon and in what manner the rain hits us. I have a plan A, B and C!

Plan A is the original one...ceremony out in the garden, old iron arch decorated with tulle and greenery across the wooden garden path leading to the tiny house. Even if it's damp, that will still happen. Food and cake and dancing on the back porch. I don't even mind a slight drizzle, and I've ordered a 10 pack of cute umbrellas just in case.

I mean, lookit.....even if it's drizzly, imagine what great pics we could get with that arch over the wooden path... even if it was drizzly like this!!

IMG_3827.JPG

Plan B if it's raining is setting up for the ceremony on the back porch, and decorating the porch poles to serve as an arch, and using the available plants and other greenery there as part of the decorating. We'll still have the food, cake and dancing there.

Plan C, if the rain is really hard and blowing sideways and it's windy, is to open the french doors from the den to the back porch, and sort of span both areas, maybe use the french door opening area as the "arch" for the ceremony backdrop. Reception either in the den or in the centre of the porch (thankfully it's big) so that the rain and wind can't reach the tables.

No matter what it will be fun!!

Thomas Stearn and Yvonne Smith like this.
  12. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

It sounds like you have planned for just about everything, @Ronni Gates ! Wishing you a wonderful day for your wedding , at least enough that it isn’t storming, and also lots of joy and happiness for you and new husband.