3rd Grade Geography

Discussion in 'History & Geography' started by Hal Pollner, May 5, 2018.

1. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

When I was a kid in grade school in Wheeling, W. Va., we had to know all 48 States and their Capitols.

We also had spelling bees.

I don't think grade school students are as well taught today...do you?

Hal

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Overall, I don't think so. It depends on the school and the teacher, I suppose. I've met some kids who have learned a lot more than I had at their ages, but the credit there could well go to the kid, and to the parents. Overall, I think most of the school budget is spent on things that have little or nothing to do with teaching, and far too much of the time is spent on social and political indoctrination.

Chris Ladewig likes this.
  3. Carol Knott

Carol Knott Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

As a retired teacher, I can promise you there was very little geography in our elementary (3rd grade) curriculum, sad to say. Our social studies book was so cheesy I could hardly stand it. All about "communities." And mostly communities in Texas. However, my husband traveled a lot for his job, so I tried to work in something about whatever state or country he was in at the time. I had a world map in the room with postcards from all over the world around it. But with all the emphasis on testing, and getting the little darlings to pass the test, geography, and pretty much everything else that wasn't reading or math, was given short shrift. I taught 3rd grade when I retired, but I also taught 5th, 4th, and early on (shudder) high school.

Von Jones likes this.
  4. Ken Anderson

I don't remember if it was third grade but, somewhere around there, we had to learn the states and capitals, and to know where each of the states was on a map of the United States. I had also used a jigsaw puzzle thing that had each of the states, and I can remember that helped. I am not sure if that was something I used at school or if my parents had it, though.

Von Jones likes this.
  5. Harry Havens

Harry Havens Veteran Member
    Registered

In retrospect, knowing the capitols made for excellent trivia fodder, such as Jeopardy... but not much else.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  6. Ken Anderson

If life was all about being useful, we'd be guard dogs or pack mules. Come to think of it, we'd all be out of work.

7. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

I had a jigsaw puzzle of the USA too.

Hal

8. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Such as asking someone: How do you pronounce the capital of Kentucky; Loo-i-vul, or Loo-is-vil ?

Most choose the fashionable former and few the later but of course, the retort would be, Nope, it’s Frankfort !

Harry Havens likes this.
  9. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I always felt general knowledge was important and a part of a disciplined lifestyle.
    At one job, one to the secretaries was studying for some class she was taking and started naming the countries in Africa. I fired back with the capital. I got every one correct and she was flabbergasted. I was very good at Trivial Pursuit as well. General knowledge makes you seem smart even if you aren't. I told my children that is you speak and write properly, everyone assumes you are smart, but if you speak and write in an undisciplined manner, all consider you and what you have to say as dumb, even if you are more intelligent than the company with whom you are speaking.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  10. Ken Anderson

That's because most people won't take the time to listen if the presentation is lacking. Most of us probably know people who are a lot smarter than they seem to be, but we probably wouldn't bother to notice if we were meeting for the first time.

Don Alaska likes this.
  11. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

My sons had it hard growing up because this is how I taught them. Many fights because of the way they spoke - 'proper'. I would say to them 'So what?'

Bobby Cole and Don Alaska like this.