60 Years Later and I Would Punch Her in The Nose!

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Richard Paradon, Mar 9, 2015.

1. Richard Paradon

Richard Paradon Supreme Member
    Registered

Not a great statement for a Buddhist but I probably would.

After reading @mal-campbell 's previous post on nasty teachers, I thought of one of the worse! She was not a teacher, but a lunchroom server. In the lunchroom, most kids had a green card that they would present at the beginning of the line. Kids who were poor like me were issued a red card. It was embarrassing to say the least.

One day, as I was going through the line, I asked the server not to give me any peas as I hated them. Her screaming response, as loud as if she was yelling into a microphone, was something like this. "You should be happy to eat everything I decide to give you. Your parents do not work and are on welfare. Look around at the other children. Don't you know that their parents are paying not only for your food her but even the clothes you are wearing? You should thank everyone of these children!"

Damn, I still hate her!

2. Ruth Belena

Ruth Belena Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't believe in violence but I do agree that the woman deserved some comeback for what she did. Even if she was having a bad day, there is no justificiation for verbally abusing a child for not wanting any peas or for publically berating him up for having parents who were unable to earn a living wage.

I think she probably had anger management issues, and I wonder how long it was before she found herself without a job.

Richard Paradon likes this.
  3. Michelle Stevens

Michelle Stevens Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't blame you for the way you feel. I still hold a grudge against a few people from my childhood, but I don't think I was ever humiliated in that way.

4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

That's awful. In our school, lunch was provided free for everyone, regardless of income, so no one had to deal with that sort of thing. Obviously, it wasn't free, since it was paid for through taxes, but students did not have to buy lunch tickets or have to deal with free lunch programs or the like, and I think that's probably the better way to do it. Either way, those who are paying taxes are paying and those who are not are getting it for free, but the children should not be the ones having to deal with it.

5. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

That's quite a load you have carried around for sixty years, Richard! It reminded me of the chow line scenes in M*A*S*H! It's not really about the food,its' that neither one really wanted to be there! It's better to make peas...not war!;)
    images.jpg

6. Richard Paradon

Richard Paradon Supreme Member
    Registered

@Ruth Belena, @Michelle Stevens, I really doubt if I'd hit her...lol...I am 69 so she must be around 150 by now but a verbal altercation would definitely be in order. @Ken Anderson I agree, Ken, and hopefully that style lunch program is long gone. @Joe Riley Joe, you have not been here very long, but I am happy you are here. Your have a bizarre sense of humor....making me a peace sign with peas!