A Better Place

Discussion in 'Reading & Writing' started by Richard Paradon, Feb 11, 2015.

1. Richard Paradon

Richard Paradon Supreme Member
    Registered

(I enjoy writing flash fiction. Although some of my friends call me the "Buddhist Hitchcock", this is one of my more mild stories. I hope you enjoy it.)

Cory Simpson, an elderly blind man, had depended on his seeing eye dog for years. But today he was very distressed. His loyal companion was about to undergo a “kidney transplant”.

These transplants are common place in humans, but for a dog it is rare as many people are against this procedure, so finding a donor dog was difficult. Even when a donor is found, there is a large probability that the animal will reject the new kidney as the majority of dogs, due to their immune system find new organs incompatible. The final obstacle was the cost factor. The cost of the procedure and medications would be well over $10,000.

But due to friends, a second mortgage on his home and a great veterinarian, all was taken care of and now the very ill dog was ready to receive his new kidney. The following three hours while his dog was in surgery seemed to be endless for the blind man. Prayers and promises were silently offered.

Finally, the chief vet came out of the surgery room tired and looking sad. “Mr. Simpson, I am very sorry,” he started, but stopped and took a closer look at the blind man. The old man had died during the long wait. Then the doctor had to smile. “I guess they both got transplants...to a better place."

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  2. Ruth Belena

Ruth Belena Veteran Member
    Registered

Awww. That is a sad and moving story, but with a feelgood ending.

I've never been sure what flash fiction writing was and this is the first example I've read. I hope you will share some more.

Richard Paradon likes this.
  3. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

I also enjoyed your story and hope you will share more of your stories with us.

4. Richard Paradon

Richard Paradon Supreme Member
    Registered

Thank you Ruth! I am happy that you enjoyed it. Flash fiction is just a story that has about 500 words. The topic can be about anything you feel like writing and I find it a lot of fun as I can do a story in an hour or two whereas I have been working on a book for several years and I don't think I will ever complete it!