A Blast In The Past - For Me

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Hedi Mitchell, Mar 28, 2017.

1. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

I gotta see a "jive" skirt now Patsy;) I remember my older sister had a poodle-skirt, wonder if that is similar;)

My little bro had a Davy Crocket hat too;) Seth Parker is the first "Davy" I can remember;)

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

This is a nice thread, @Gloria Mitchell. I am well acquainted with outhouses, as I can remember when we first got plumbing in the house. Prior to that, we had a pump outside, and of course we had an outhouse. It was mighty cold walking out to the outhouse on a January night in the UP of Michigan. Even after we had a regular bathroom in the house, the outhouse remained, and was put back into use every now and then when the pipes would freeze in the winter, and we'd use it sometimes instead of going back in the house if we were outdoors. We also had a camp with an outhouse.

I also remember the wood cooking stove, which my mom decided to keep even after they bought an electric one. There were some things that mom preferred to cook on the wood stove, I think, and it also supplemented as a heating stove on colder nights, since our heating stove had only one central heat source, which wasn't piped through the rest of the house.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
  3. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

The stamps spoken of were required to be purchased by the business giving them out free. In my gas station, 1972, S&H Green Stamps were the rage. All the customers demanded them. So, I reluctantly began buying them. $44. per book. A book lasted about 2 or 3 days. We kept them in the cash drawer, a metal drawered box fastened to the wall, waist-high, just inside the station. The drawer was accessible only by a key. The 2 high-school guys working for me had keys, as well as Dan, my nephew, and I.

We closed at 10:pM. One night, 2 new books of stamps disappeared from within the cash drawer. The young man working alone, Steve D'Angelo, claimed next day they had been stolen by a customer. Didn't "wash", as either Steve left the drawer not fully closed (real possibility), which he denied, or HE stole the stamps. Not fully closed meant a customer MIGHT have sauntered in during the ever-ensuing commotion on the gas-island, and taken the stamps. Except that NO CASH was missing! (??). Steve was liable, either way. I had had him booked in my mind as honest. But I knew circumstances often altered levels of honesty. I fired him. He had worked in the station throughout high school, mainly for the previous ARCO dealer. He took it very gracefully, stating that unemployment benefits would take care of him.

Long story shortened, month later he showed up, furious! Ready to kill me. He got weekly benefit checks, all right, but meanwhile I received from Dep't. of Economic Security, forms asking why he was terminated. THEFT, I wrote. They were demanding the dough back he had received! I sat him down in my office, gave him a fatherly pep-talk about honesty, learning why cheating bites back. His demeanor changed, as I thought it would; he apologized. I gave him a hundred bucks, sent him on his way, glad he had not killed me!
    Frank

4. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Glad you all like the Blast..... Got to thinking this morning, how on occasion my dad would take us out to eat. There was a place called Southern Kitchen close by and many times we went there. A full plate meal was a whole dollar! Then as a treat sometimes he would take us to the A&W root beer drive-in. The young waitresses, would skate out to your car and take your order. One night, my brother who was all of 3 gets out of the car and stands upon the middle of a walk way and starts dancing in his little kakkki pants and shirt.. They played music all the time....You aint nothing but a hound dog-Elvis Presley. He was so cute, and he got many applause and kisses from the waitresses.
    Have a good day :p

5. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Great memories Gloria, I can see your little brother - does he still like to dance ?

Denise Evans likes this.
  6. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

No, he is more into playing his guitar and other musical things . He would try at least to do the Twist...long before Chubby Checker came out with it.

Patsy Faye and Denise Evans like this.
  7. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

That is precisely correct @Denise Happyfeet. One hole for each type of "chore".
    When I was in the Nam, we had "10 holers" which the U.S. Army spent hundreds of thousand of dollars traing us in Latrine Logistics. It was a simple one week course on SOP as to how to properly and in military fashion switch seats with another soldier during morning Latrine operations.
    The hardest part was standing at attention and saluting each other with our fatigue pants down prior to "the switch".

Hedi Mitchell and Denise Evans like this.
  8. Denise Evans

Registered

LMBO, this is a screamer, the things our Veterans have to go through in "training"!!o_O

Just one question, if @Yvonne Smith accidentally walks in on you in the latrine, do you still salute??:p

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
  9. Denise Evans

Registered

Wow, and I'll bet the food served was way better then Gloria;) My first job besides baby-sitting was a an A&W;) They had dropped the skating thing, although how I would have loved that as we rarely got to go into town to the rink. Can see a little guy boogey'in down to Elvis, how darling I'll bet he was;)
    Great reading this a.m. ty much;)

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  10. Denise Evans

Registered

My little brother is still into his music making today, I was the dancer;) I remember when it came out, and we usually did square-dancing at the grange. But there was a kids dance put on, and mom made me a full-skirt, twirly dress and I "twisted" with the other kids. We must have looked so funny, LOL!!

Hedi Mitchell and Patsy Faye like this.
  11. Denise Evans

Registered

Love your new avatar ken;) and I totally agree on this thread;) One of my book-series talks about life in the UP Ken, especially some of the cold winds off the Great Lakes, burrr!!

Ken Anderson likes this.
  12. Denise Evans

Registered

How funny, a friend just sent me this one:) keep watchin if interested as they have more senior dancers!

13. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Thank you - thank you Denise, I couldn't believe my eyes !
    Just fabulous and I'll be watching them two again and again
    Wish I had a Mum and Daddy like them :)

@Denise Happyfeet

Bobby Cole and Denise Evans like this.
  14. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

HEAVENS NO! One does not Salute a civilian! Although, protocol does call for a gentleman to stand and offer his seat when a lady enters the room.

15. Denise Evans

Registered

Lol Bobby I can never get one up on you I'm laughing out loud here just doing a voice to text but that was very excellent and I should know that you don't salute a civilian I had two brothers in the service and my grandpa too but anyway
    thanks
    for the laugh