A Brief History Of The Kitchen

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Terry Page, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

I love travertine!

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes, it looks nice, but the grout is a problem. My daughter has cleaners every Thursday clean her house but if she wants to get her grout looking clean, she has to take the time and get on her hands a knees using one of those magic mr clean eraser sponges.

Ruby Begonia and Terry Page like this.
  3. Bonnie Thomas

Bonnie Thomas Veteran Member
    Registered

Me too!

Ruby Begonia likes this.
  4. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I just want a storage shed to put all my stuff in, then roam all over the place.

The more I think about it the more I like it. I would use my room at my daughter's as a home base and an address then go visit my son for a couple months, then my mom and sister all those relatives, then back to my daughter. Then a trip to Hungary maybe.

Ruby Begonia and Bonnie Thomas like this.
  5. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

There's a large 17th century Jacobean Mansion near where I live which in recent years like so many very expensive houses, castles and palaces.. is under the stewardship of English Heritage since the owners were unable to afford the upkeep...so although it still remains in the family, it and it's extensive grounds have to be open to the public for the majority of the year to pay it's way..

It started off as a Palace and over the years 2/3rds of it has been demolished...but the rest is still large and beautifully maintained... with huge landscaped gardens, a beautiful walled garden, ...and best of all they have a service wing at the side of the main house,...all furnished as though it were still the 19th century, and still much of it original....Kitchens, Stable yard..housekeepers room, butlers pantry, wash-house, Dairy, etc....

It's a stunning place...have a read about it here, and see some pictures... then I'll post many of the pictures I've taken of it myself...

http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visit/places/audley-end-house-and-gardens/

Ruby Begonia and Chrissy Cross like this.
  6. Ruby Begonia

Registered

That sounds good. I bet once you start going through things to put in storage you'll probably realize you won't need a lot of it and what you really want, might fit into your daughter's attic or basement. This might be the way out of Fresno!:)

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  7. Ruby Begonia

Registered

Is that Pickles in the photo?

8. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Not many homes have basements in CA. At least not newer ones. Don't know if it's because of earthquakes or what. I don't have one either. Most people use the third garage as storage. She has a big house but really not that much storage space. One more year and the oldest boy is off to College too, my daughter loves the idea of me moving there ....too much. :)

She's already said I'd be able to save all my widows benefits, eat good food that she eats. :)
    All these benefits followed by...maybe you could cook dinner sometimes, we all love your cooking....the boys would be so happy. :)

Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
    Ruby Begonia and Von Jones like this.
  9. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Yes.

Ruby Begonia likes this.
  10. Chrissy Cross

Registered

This is her house and the front room on the second floor with the balcony is my room, I might have posted this pic before. But I have my own bathroom and TV, another thing I wouldn't have to pay for and they have the top pkg, so all of the movies channels. Plus it's a smart TV in my room....hmmmm, it's all sounding better and better the more I think about it.

image.jpg

Ruby Begonia and Von Jones like this.
  11. Holly Saunders

Registered

This is part of the kitchen at the house...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...and this is part of the old cooking range....

[​IMG]

The copper pans are enormous

Everything has been restored or is exactly the originals that was in the house way back in the 1800's...

also, the kitchen may not look very big in the photo, but is huge...as are all the pots and pans, plates, chargers, and dishes.. because they had to cater for so many people....

12. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Tnats a lot if copper!! I love touring old homes/mansions/castles....it's so cool to imagine the way people lived...wether it's an old estate or a poor persons home, it's all fascinating.

13. Holly Saunders

Registered

I'm exactly the same @Chrissy Page, historic castles, prisons , houses , gardens I love them all...

More of the kitchen...

[​IMG]

...and bear in mind these photos don't actually give you the right perspective on size...these kitchens are HUGE....:D

[​IMG]

14. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Are those all ovens under the stove?

15. Holly Saunders

Registered

yes they are....it's huge about 15feet wide :)

This is just a little part of the enormous Laundry room next door to the kitchen...

[​IMG]

This looks in this picture like a little clothes (drying) horse, but it's actually really big and wide...., and the bloomers on there would fit someone really large...:eek::D:D

[​IMG]

this is where they washed the clothes the wooden sinks are very deep and lined with lead....

[​IMG]

Ruby Begonia and Chrissy Cross like this.