A Depression Meal, From The Time Travel Kitchen

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Joe Riley, Jul 16, 2018.

1. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Love this thread.

Certificate 011821 001.jpg

2. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

3. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

My great grand mother had ten kids, and she wasted nothing in food dept. Leftover pinto beans were made into pumpkin tasting pie, and cantalope pies were tatsy to. I still have the recipes somewhere, and even had one published in newspaper here back in 80's.

4. Joanna Newton

Joanna Newton Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Never heard of that one, but when I was a child there was something called Mock Turtle Soup. Wasn't sure what it was made of, but as long as it wasn't real turtle I was ok with it. :)

5. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Turtle can be tasty Been long time since i have eaten that .

Richard Whiting and Don Alaska like this.
  6. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Several places I have lived, turtle was considered a delicacy. The difficulty seemed to be cleaning the turtle and prepping it for use.

7. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

@Von Jones Check out this video by an old friend about the Spanish depression and garlic saving the day.

Von Jones likes this.
  8. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Funny I made chili on Wednesday and felt something was missing. Chili powder and garlic salt. Someone would say what's the point? I had a big stock pot of everything and forgot the most important ingredients, shame on me, lol.

Don Alaska and Faye Fox like this.
  9. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

No shame, you were making stew. :)

10. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I didn't realize it until I went to the store for milk and walked through the spices and hung my head down, lol.

11. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Chin up girl, I have done similar things while attempting cooking hahaha! I left out my secret ingredient to my holiday soup, two years in a row. This year I already have the bottle of white pepper set out in plain sight. My fake nieces immediately pointed out something was wrong and it was just turkey soup and not Auntie Fayes Holiday Soup. I always take 4 gallons of it over to a long-time friend that hosts a holiday open house for family and friends. She brings me the leftover turkey and bones after Thanksgiving and I simmer the bones for several days to make a broth that is the liquid base for the soup.

12. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Wow, that's a lot of soup, Faye. Sounds like the missing ingredient wasn't missed though. Must have delicious still.

13. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I forget what I was looking for when I stumbled across a video about catching, cleaning and cooking turtle. It was not a pleasant thing.

I know they can be destructive to the ecology of a pond. I've seen a few destroyed during my fishing days. And I've been around hunting. But the cleaning experience of a turtle is unlike anything I've ever seen.

Don Alaska likes this.
  14. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

My landlord in one small town was the master at cleaning turtles, and people would bring them in to him to have them cleaned and prepped, but I never watched it done.

John Brunner likes this.
  15. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

"They say you can get seven different kinds of meat from butchering a turtle. Depending on what part of the turtle you’re chewing on, the taste may be reminiscent of pork, or chicken, or veal, or fish, or whatever … you get the picture. Perhaps this variability can partly explain why turtle has been such a popular menu item throughout the history of the United States. At least, it used to be. Not so long ago you could find Campbell’s turtle soup sitting alongside minestrone and tomato in grocery stores throughout the country. So what happened? How and why did an American staple virtually vanish"? (READ MORE)

[​IMG]
    Alligator snapping turtles were the main ingredient in soups and stews.

"Turtle soup in the United States did not fade away simply because our palates changed. Our taste for turtle soup exploded to unsustainable levels and caused the turtles to disappear first. They still haven’t come back".