A Different View About Fiber And Our Digestive System

Discussion in 'Diets & Dieting' started by Yvonne Smith, Jun 9, 2019.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I belonged to a low-carb forum which has since closed down, along with @Steve North , @Kate Ellery , and @Arlene West .
    One of the people in that forum was on a zero-carb regimen , and all she ate was protein and fat, and no carbs at all, not even fiber ones.
    She actually did really well on this plan, even though I am sure that most of us thought that she should have had at least SOME fiber in her diet.

One of the names for this diet , is called The Carnivore Diet, and it is basically the same thing as she has been doing, and seems to be safe, even though it goes against conventional thinking.
    Anyway, someone had posted about this in one of my Facebook OMAD groups, and added a link to a website called guthealth.org., so last night, I was reading that, and it is certainly a different outlook about the necessity of fiber in the diet.

I am adding a link to the website (called the Fiber Menace) so that anyone who is interested in reading more about this can do it.
    Basically, what he asserts, is that fiber has been pushed onto us as a necessity in our diets, way beyond the amount we would naturally get eating whole foods (fruits and veggies).
    We have read (in other threads here) about the reason shortening and vegetable oils were sold to the American public as being better than lard, butter, and other natural fats; because it became commercially profitable, and it appears that the importance of fiber in the diet was also due to commercial interests.

According to the article, fiber was advocated by a minister named Sylvester Graham (yes, this is why we have Graham Crackers !), as a way to avoid lust and sexuality, and become more spiritually oriented.
    His graham flour was not the sugary little crackers we have now, but essentially provided the same kind of fiber.
    Following Rev. Graham, came Dr. John Kellogg, of the Kellogg’s cereal company, also promoting fiber in the diet, and we have all been eating Kellogg’s Raisin Bran ever since.

The Carnivore Diet is basically similar to what is called “induction” on the original Atkins Diet, and is the main reason that people lost weight so well in the first few weeks, and then came to a stall as they added in more carbs (and fiber) back into their diet.
    I have been following a ketogenic diet for a while now, and was losing weight, and feeling great, but I think that the thyroid problem and heart issues slowed it down, and I have been struggling with trying to get back on track somehow, and lose that stubborn weight again.

After reading this article, and remembering the lady who was in the low-carb diet forum doing so well and being healthy, I have decided to be my own guinea pig again and test out this no-carb diet.
    I am allowing salad greens, because even though they do add fiber, it is not a lot, and greens are a powerhouse of nutrient vitamins and minerals .

I will write more about how this works in the low carb diet thread, because here, I wanted to focus on the fiber aspect, and not just dieting.
    This link is actually a whole little book, which you read a chapter at a time, following a short introduction, and it covers gut diseases, like IBS and GERD, and all of those kinds of issues, and not actually focused on losing weight.

https://www.gutsense.org/fiber-menace/about-fiber-menace-book.html

2. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I've bookmarked that link to read later Yvonne... :)

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  3. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Although fiber was pushed by Dr. Graham, it was popular lore long before him. The old grandmothers knew people felt better if they "moved" every day. Our gut is an omnivore gut, not a carnivore gut. We have a longer intestine than a carnivore, and it allows for fermentation in the gut as the food passes through. Canines and felines have much shorter gut length, as little fermentation takes place, while pigs and bears have guts similar to ours. Even carnivores require "bulk", usually supplied by skin, hair, and non-digestible connective tissue in the wild, but you may have noticed both dogs and cats, as well as wolves, lions, and such, sometimes eat plant matter (grass and leaves) when they don't feel quite right. I don't have time right now to read your link, but I cannot believe that non-digestible fiber in moderate amounts is a bad thing. Even the Eskimos, whose diet consists primarily of meat and fat, ferment many of their meats and oils, and treasure plant material as gold when they can get it.

4. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I think that is probably correct, @Don Alaska , and as I mentioned, I am keeping plant material (greens) along with the meat. When people only ate what is now popularly known as Paleo or Caveman diet, it was before mankind was growing a lot of grains to harvest and eat, and the few wild seeds and grains they ate made up a lot less amount of the total consumption than our SAD diet of today.
    As I said, this is a totally different viewpoint about fiber, and one that shocked me , too, as I have been a big believer on getting enough fiber in my diet. I have even been adding extra fiber foods, like psyllium, into things that I cook, just for the extra fiber.
    Now, I am not so sure I should be doing that.
    Sometimes, I read things just because it seems so improbable to me, but then end up seeing that there are valuable points in the article.
    I don’t necessarily advocate that we should all stop getting any fiber in our diet, but I do definitely believe that limiting much of the grains we eat, and eating other foods more often, is a healthier outlook.
    Anyway..... I am interested in hearing more of people’s thoughts after they have also read the article and see what you have to say about it.

Bobby Cole and Holly Saunders like this.
  5. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Yeah, fiber is one thing, and GRAIN is another, especially in these days of GMO grains. Some of the more primitive grains that are closer to natural seeds, such as farro, amaranth, buckwheat and quinoa, may have different effects than the grains grown commercially today. Psyllium produces copious gas in many people, and is why some avoid its use.

6. Holly Saunders

Registered

You seem to be very educated about this subject @Don Alaska :)..I'm very interested to read all the views of everyone on this topic having always had a 'dodgy stomach'' myself !

Bobby Cole likes this.
  7. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

I have done a fair amount of research on the subject, @Holly Saunders, primarily because of the problems that conventional medicine caused my wife. She had digestive issues almost all her life, as did her mother and two aunts. It was just accepted as the way things should be. When I found her in the living room in the middle of the night using a heating pad to attempt to ease the pain and her doctor didn't have a solution, I researched human digestion, and, since she changed her diet, her digestive issues have almost completely disappeared. The change in her life made me realize how wrong we are regarding human diets.

8. Holly Saunders

Registered

Oh yes I've been there with the hot water bottle too, on many occasions... :(

What did your wife change her diet to and from?...

9. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

I’ve been on a low carb diet for over 10 years now ,and I simply can’t eat anymore than one very thin slice of bread
    or other carb a day
    In 2007 I was told I had diabetes I weighed very close to 90 kg I set about loosing weight however as hard as I tried
    I couldn’t budge the weight .
    I was desperate so I joined a weight loss company who set up a low carb diet for me oh it was so hard not having my two slices of toast each morning ,a sandwich for lunch and maybe a slice of bread with my evening meal
    I lost a lot of weight 26 kg I’ve got a photo somewhere I can post
    In the 11+ years since I’ve gained back 6 kg of that 26 and maintained it not going up or down
    I believe MY secret is limiting carbs and staying away from high fat foods like cheeses, creams and fatty foods like bacon and or any processed meats like ham .I don’t believe humans were meant to eat processed foods .
    I never ate junk food to warrant my weight I got up, to just way to many carbs
    I’ve been told several times by my GP I don’t have diabetes now which has been proved by tests
    I’ve mentioned my gut issues and that’s been solved buy consuming fermented drinks I make myself
    I’m off to a class at the end of the month at the same place I went for the veggie class this time it’s a class for
    water kefir and all the natural flavouring you can add I already make and drink milk kefir
    I would have given anything to, get rid of the pain and discomfort of Diverticulosis I used to consume dozens of bottles of this which settled the pain for a day or two now I make my own at a huge saving
    8AF4A12E-4AE0-4182-948B-DF34EA8B0922.jpeg

Thanks @Yvonne Smith

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
    Bobby Cole and Yvonne Smith like this.
  10. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

@Kate Ellery , I drink and enjoy the milk kefir. But I don't understand the water kefir. How can there be any food value to it?

For my after dinner dessert today, I had fresh strawberries sweetened with sweetener and kefir poured over it. It was delicious and nowhere as fattening as the ice cream everybody else had.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
    Kate Ellery and Yvonne Smith like this.
  11. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

@Shirley Martin I have to admit I don’t know a great deal about water kefir
    I’ve booked to go to a class run by the same two sisters where I went to the veggie class
    so hopefully I’ll learn more on the benefits of drinking water kefir I’ve tried it at the veggie class
    I’m aware you only need to drink about 30 mils a day if you have to much to soon it can cause stomach upsets
    just like milk kefir can
    https://www.nourishmeorganics.com.au/pages/what-is-water-kefir

12. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Thanks, Kate.

13. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

She started with an elimination diet prescribed by an integrative physician, and switched to a FODMAP diet supplemented with L-glutamine and oil of oregano. She was supposed to stay on the L-glutamine for 6 weeks, but I don't think she made it quite that long. She found from the elimination diet that she could not tolerate fresh dairy (aged hard cheese in limited amounts seems to be okay), wheat or rice. She has learned to avoid all cereal grains as they make her uncomfortable, but rice is the worst followed by wheat. I will probably be different for each individual. If you start with an elimination diet and take everything, especially grains, dairy, sugar, soy, and rice, then add one thing at a time to your diet every three days or so to see what you react to. The integrative doc thought she had an intestinal yeast overgrowth, but I believe she suffered from SIBO brought on by her doctor leaving her on PPI drugs for too long a period (over a decade). Anyway, her pain and intestinal symptoms have vanished, and she has discontinued all medications. She is healthier now than she has been for years.

Holly Saunders and Emma Smith like this.
  14. Steve North

Steve North Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't have any problems with my fiber intake, however upon occasion when necessary, I take some... Metamucil... in the morning before breakfast... This does the trick every time..
    I only need it about once a month or so...

Don Alaska likes this.
  15. Steve North

Steve North Supreme Member
    Registered

Since I am on induction, I don't take any chances and every second morning before breakfast I take some Metamucil....
    I use the sugar free one.. Unfortunately it is orange flavoured which is not the best tasting, but I got used to it....

Don Alaska likes this.