A Jug Of Wine, A Loaf Of Bread, But No Thou

Discussion in 'Reading & Writing' started by Lon Tanner, Jul 13, 2020.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

Sorry Omar I have my meals alone unfortunately. GLASS OF WINE.jpg

2. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

And so it was for a gentleman suffering from Alzheimer’s in a Jacksonville, Fla. senior care home until.....

I cannot remember the names but a senior lady had not seen her husband for nearly 4 months. Prior to the Covid-19 scare, she visited her husband every night after he was moved to the care home but was no longer able to do so since the home allowed no visitors during the crisis.
    After 3 months or so, she came upon a plan and acted upon it. She applied for a job as a dishwasher at the senior care home....and got it.

On her first day on the job and after 119 days being separated from her husband, she walked into his room and quite unexpectedly....he recognized her and called her by her name.

it’s reported that she said that there were a lot of dishes to be washed but it was all worth it to see her husband regularly once again.

3. Lon Tanner

Registered

?????? ???????

4. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

And what dear sir, would be the question?
    Did you reserve this thread to be specifically about your own plight in life or was I not supposed to give you something that might perchance help lift your spirits?
    Can you not relate to someone who is much worse off than you and left alone without his wife for 119 days? Someone that during those 119 days might find himself finally succumbing to the disease and never remember his wife?
    And a wife, who went to such lengths to once again see her husband, what of her? What if she had entered his room to find him without even one memory of her?

It would be, a loaf of bread, a jug of wine ......and never more thou even though she sits right in front of him.
    Is that the story you prefer......one of pity and gloom?

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
  5. Lon Tanner

Registered

Bobby I must be thick but I read nothing in your post that I could in any way relate to my post. I have NO plight and my dining alone is no big deal. I just thought I would put a different spin on Omar Khayyam's piece.
    Sorry friend, Pity & Gloom just ain't me.

6. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

Thank Jehovah there's Salt on the table!

Hal

7. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

A Loaf of Bread, a Jug of Wine, and Thou beside me in the Shadow of the Nuclear Generating Plant.

Hal

Bobby Cole likes this.
  8. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Lord, don't say that.

The epicenter of that big earthquake that rattled the entire eastern half of the country (all the way up into Canada) in 2013 was only a few miles away from a nuclear power plant. When it was under construction in the 1970s, it was discovered that it was being built on a fault line.

Dominion Electric told the county "I won't say anything if you don't say anything."
    The country told the NRC and the Dept of Energy "I won't say anything if you don't say anything."
    Dominion Electric, the country and the Fed told the citizens "Nuthin' to see here, folks. Move along..."

One of the wastewater holding tanks shifted several inches from it's normal position.

So it's "A loaf of bread, a jug of wine, and a high pucker-factor..."

At least I'm close enough that there will be no anticipatory anxiety.

Bobby Cole likes this.