A Place For Mom? What About Dad?

Discussion in 'Money & Finances' started by Lon Tanner, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

We see all the time on TV and in magazines these ads directed to family and care givers as a place to put a aging parent. Well, I am a DAD living in Assisted Living and object to the discrimination of these ads. In fact, I am going to pursue initiating a CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT against such biased advertising.

2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't think that's advertising, per se. "A Place For Mom" is the actual name of that business, which is a privately-held company. I have also wondered why they named it that way.

Bess Barber likes this.
  3. Thomas Stearn

Thomas Stearn Veteran Member
    Registered

"A place for Mom" (not for Dad) might also be and, in fact, was the title of a magazine's lead story over here. Insurance companies know the details: it seem to be indisputible that it's women who tend to live longer than most men. (Jordan Peterson has just confirmed it again in @Nancy Hart 's thread.) That's why "What to do with Mom?" is a more likely question for many children when their parents age. Men often die before they may become care-dependent.

Don Alaska and Frank Sanoica like this.
  4. Lon Tanner

Registered

I have at this moment no less than eight single men in their 90's living in their own apartment on the same floor as me.
    In addition, there are 10 husband/wife couples living here with the husband care taking his wife who in all probability will die before him.

Don Alaska and Frank Sanoica like this.
  5. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Well, go ahead and pursue your lawsuit. It will be among the millions of frivolous and silly things clogging up the courts, for no reason other than people looking for yet another reason to be "offended." :rolleyes:

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  6. Lon Tanner

Registered

Well Beth I think it will be a fun way to pass time and broaden my education, and I have lots of time.

Don Alaska and Ken Anderson like this.
  7. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

I see what you are saying, but think about this, it's the other side of the coin for liberal female equality rant. If they want to challenge the word 'manhole', I do believe @Lon Tanner has an excellent point and it should be newsworthy. If white males don't start speaking up, they will be squashed like bugs with no rights whatsoever. What a better person than a senior citizen wondering why society is preferring to advertise towards the care of females, rather than males. I wish I were a lawyer. I would have fun with this. I think it's brilliant.

Don Alaska likes this.
  8. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Again, it is not the advertising that is targeting females. "A Place For Mom" is the name of the business, founded in 2000...

A Place for Mom, founded in 2000, is a privately held, for-profit senior care referral service based in Seattle, Washington. The company provides personal and professional assistance to families in the search of senior care options.

I'm certainly no legal authority, but I believe the best outcome Lon could hope for would be forcing them to change their name.

Bess Barber likes this.
  9. Lon Tanner

Registered

That's my intention and the initiation of a suit should bring that about however the lawyer that would handle this may feel that monetary damages are appropriate, at least for his fee. O Yes Let's not forget the pain and suffering to my male ego.

Don Alaska likes this.
  10. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I have heard those ads repeatedly and I find them insulting, as the idea seems to be the equivalent of looking for a place to put mom so that her son or daughter won't have to think about her anymore. I do see your point though, as far as the gender discrimination implications go. If someone were to open a business called "A Place for White People," the fact that they might serve people of other races too wouldn't be seen as an acceptable arguing point.

Lon Tanner and Don Alaska like this.
  11. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Be sure to keep us updated on your anticipated windfall.

12. Steve North

Steve North Supreme Member
    Registered

Coincidently, I contacted them about 6 months ago for information on North Bay, Ontario where we were looking..
    We know the city very well and have visited several senior apartment buildings on our own and gotten information including prices..
    They (a place for mom) had no idea we had already contacted places.. They suggested some of the places we knew and they were several hundred dollars per month more expensive than the building had quoted us..
    Also the information they had was not only exaggerated, but completely false..
    They were not even accurate on the location of the building.. They had the proper address, but didn't know what was near as far as amenities..
    When we will be ready, it is much better to go and make your own arrangements directly with the building rather than go through a third party that wants $$$$$$.......

Yvonne Smith and Beth Gallagher like this.
  13. Thomas Stearn

Thomas Stearn Veteran Member
    Registered

Fair enough, Lon, but don't you think there's a difference between nationwide statistics that insurance companies and authorities have to rely on and your personal environment?
    No doubt, "A place for Mom" ought not to be a name for a business even if it does reflect mortality trends in society, at least in mine. There still is a difference between the sexes but it is relieving that it seems to become smaller.

Lon Tanner and Beth Gallagher like this.
  14. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

It’s a name and has a psychological sentiment attached to it.

No soldier or seaman ever has a heart tattooed on their arm saying, “DAD”.
    As American as “Dad and Apple Pie” doesn’t quite ring the bell quite like Mom and Apple Pie does.
    Typically, it isn’t Seargeant Mom leaving home for war telling her 5 year old son to take care of Dad.
    Statistically, more money is spent on flowers and restaurants on Mother’s Day than on Father’s Day.
    Men are not known as “the weaker sex”.
    Women generally have more needs that have to be met than men do.
    Ever heard of a “men’s night” at the local cocktail lounge? Nope, it’s ladies night.
    When a ship sinks it’s “women and children first” for the lifeboats.

A Place For Mom. It’s a psychological catch name and because it doesn’t say, “a place for old women” brings a bit of a feeling of trust and one of tenderness, quiet, and care for the lady who was the heart of the home.

Now, as far as I’m concerned, it’s a good advertising stunt for men too. If I were looking for a retirement home, I sure as heck wouldn’t want to go to a “place for dad” if “a place for mom” allows men.
    Don’t know about anyone else, but the advertising tells us guys that there are definitely going to be women there and the probabilities that some of them might still be a little frisky is much more appealing than the alternative. :)

15. Lon Tanner

Registered

OK I will once I find a lawyer interested in pursuing it.