A Suitcase Full Of Photographic Wonder

Discussion in 'Photos & Video' started by Terry Page, May 30, 2018.

1. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

A suitcase full of photographic wonder
    LINK

It's not often you are sent a set of pictures that make you gasp, especially ones taken decades ago. Yet here they are, beautiful black and white pictures that have remained hidden, buried in a loft waiting to be brought out into the light.

These pictures were taken by John Turner, a property manager based in the centre of London, and were recently unearthed by his daughter and her husband, Liz and Martin Carroll.

Following John Turner's death in 1987 a suitcase was passed to them by his widow, Betty. A quick glance revealed family photos and other pictures taken for his camera club, and it was consigned to the loft for 30 odd years.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I love to see all the past History in these photos. :)

Terry Page likes this.
  3. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

How interesting. They look like fascinating history of everyday life. Pictures that often don't exist.

Terry Page likes this.
  4. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I love old photos also! Wonder what the future will think of our photos?

Terry Page likes this.
  5. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I am afraid many of them will disappear. So many pictures are stored on phones and computers. We have already seen some loss with the changes in format over the years. I have often thought that if Paul's letters (and much of antiquity) were written in emails, they would been deleted by now and nobody would have them.

6. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

That's true! Also sad. :(

7. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I have thought the same. Much of our history is derived from letters and photographs that have been preserved on paper, glass, or metal. That's all digital now, and even in my lifetime, I have photos that I can no longer view because they are on the hard drives of dead computers or on media that I no longer have access to.

Terry Page and Chrissy Cross like this.
  8. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

My husband sent me this link this morning because of course of my love of historical street life photography... I was in photographic heaven...I've seen many similar photos of many cities and towns in the UK..and America come to that of decades ago..and I love them all, I simply could never get bored with them . When hubs got home from work we were discussing the merits and history of each photo on this link... and looking at those taken in 1938 around the time both of our parents were being born...and realising all those adults in the pictures looking so alive and young and happy will not only be dead, but many of the children like our parents who were being born at the time are also gone...yet 1938 was hardly any time ago. It just shows how short life can be..

Last edited: May 30, 2018
    Terry Page and Don Alaska like this.
  9. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes I have often thought about this, most of my photos taken since digital photography took over, are on hard drives or stored in the cloud. I have boxes of thousands of my earlier photos and a lot of slides taken from the early 1950s, but very few actual prints from more recent digital.
    Lisa still makes actual physical photo albums from all the trips we go on, and my daughters still print a lot of photos, so I guess we will have some records left, though less variety maybe.
    In the future will our discoveries entail finding boxes of old hard drives CDs or memory sticks [​IMG]

Chrissy Cross and Maryt Hope like this.
  10. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Apparently CDs, DVDs and BlueRays are on their way out in favor of solid state storage such as thumb drives. Data transfer by spinning disk is no longer adequate. In a number of years, the CDs will be like cassettes, eight-tracks, and floppy disks.

11. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Wonderful pictures Terry - love them all !

Terry Page and Chrissy Cross like this.