A Trip To Mexico

Discussion in 'Travel & Vacation' started by Terry Page, Feb 2, 2018.

1. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

It's sadly nearly over and we are not looking forward to returning home, much as I love my family our time here as been wonderful and far too short.

Our favourite city by far was Merida, full of art and culture and very friendly locals, we stayed in a beautiful old colonial house, whose owner was born in the same street and loved the area.

We were there 4 days and went out to a local performance of historical drama, and dancing each night, there always seems to be a festival going on here evidently.

Here are a few videos of the evenings, were we fortunate in getting front seats, everything is free here, WiFi all over and power sockets in the streets to charge your gadgets. ;)

skt.jpg

2. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

@Terry Page Did you find it cost less for this vacation in Mexico? And did you find the people friendly and the food good?

Terry Page likes this.
  3. Terry Page

Registered

Difficult to say @Babs Hunt the return flight here were cheap at $600, but we were offered a premium upgrade which added a hundred $ which was worth it................ so yes it would have been cheaper than most of our vacations, but I tend to spend more because it is cheap ;) .................The people were the friendliest I have ever met anywhere, despite the villagers we visited and talked to who were living in to us in abject poverty, they would do anything for you without expecting a pay off.

Yes we liked the food but for comfort we tended to dine in tourist/wealthy Mexican style restaurants, but for our personal tastes there was far too much meat on the menu. We have had some really good fish dishes over the past few days though.

Maryt Hope, Bill Boggs and Babs Hunt like this.
  4. Terry Page

Registered

Here is a video I just took of the place where we were staying here in Tulum, and sadly about to leave [​IMG]

Maryt Hope likes this.
  5. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I am glad y'all had a wonderful time and no problems @Terry Page and very happy you are still sharing your travels with all us arm chair travelers. :)

Bill Boggs and Terry Page like this.
  6. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Looked at this thread before I shut down last night
    Wonderful memories for you. Saw some programmes on Mexico - magical :)

Terry Page likes this.
  7. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Thanks for the tour, @Terry Page . I like Mexican music. There was a radio station on my old car that played it all the time. I had it bookmarked, I only understood a word here and there but I loved the rhythm and happy sound of it. Kinda makes your feet want to go to tapping. :D

I suppose you are back home by now. I'm glad you had a great trip and got back home safely.

Terry Page likes this.
  8. Terry Page

Registered

I will get around to posting some photos soon but before I forget them, here are a few thoughts that came to mind about Mexico and it's people.............

It was the most relaxing holiday I have ever had as far as I can remember, the driving was a delight with quiet safe roads and considerate drivers.
    The people were the gentlest and most helpful I have ever encountered apart from Bosnia maybe, I do have a theory from my experiences, that the average citizen of a country that has had some elements of communism in it's history, somehow value people more and appreciate what little they usually have in the way of possessions [​IMG] ..........the poverty in the country is by our standards shameful of course, but despite that they seem happy enough as far as you can tell ..........

I know there is a lot of corruption and no one seems to have a good word to say about their president, who they regard as a fool, though on one museum tour we shared with a large group of Americans, they disagreed with the tour guide, shouting out we have a much worse one than yours [​IMG] ................

I felt completely safe in Mexico even wandering the streets at night, but then I feel safe wherever I go so that doesn't mean a lot.

I love the way you were trusted everywhere, and the seeming lack of fear and undue security checks, we were able to enter any public building we wanted to, with being asked for ID or having our bags checked. (apart from the Mexico City palace) If we showed an interest in a building we were invited in to look around. The university campus in Merida is in an old colonial palace, and the doorman invited us in to look around without hesitation.

Interestingly in Mexico City you were never more than a few feet from an armed policeman, and you felt safe as a result, in Merida there were virtually no police, we only saw a couple directing traffic and one unarmed tourist policeman in a smart car, which looked liked a character out of a children's book............... again we felt completely safe.... odd really [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I came across this in a bar in Cancun on our last day, which made me smile [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Terry Page

Registered

Here are a couple of videos I took just off the main square in Mexico City.....I will post some pics of the flat we stayed in which was lovely, the owner who we chatted to a lot is just lovely, she travels a lot on her own and was born in Mexico City as were her parents and loves the place.

Maryt Hope, Patsy Faye and Bill Boggs like this.
  10. Terry Page

Registered

A few pics of the apartment....

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

11. Terry Page

Registered

Here are some random photos in the National Palace gardens off the main square of Mexico City ...

I liked the atmosphere of this one..

[​IMG]

There were cats everywhere ....

[​IMG][​IMG]

Maryt Hope and Shirley Martin like this.
  12. Terry Page

Registered

The apartment in Mexico City had an original 1920s Otis lift/elevator, complete with bell boy, we were on the 6th floor., here is a video I took

Maryt Hope and Shirley Martin like this.
  13. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

ooooh @Terry Page ...can you pass a message on to Lisa for me...tell her thanks for the call and the offer , and I've thought it over , and yes I'll go with her next year to Mexico...instead of you... ;):p:D

Shirley Martin and Terry Page like this.
  14. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

I want to go, too!

Holly Saunders and Terry Page like this.
  15. Terry Page

Registered

You are both welcome, actually I found a 500 peso note in one of my shirt pockets yesterday, so I believe it's a sign I need to go back [​IMG]

Maryt Hope likes this.