Aah - Poor Little Squirrel

Discussion in 'Pets & Critters' started by Patsy Faye, Aug 11, 2018.

1. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

A man in Germany called Police because a baby squirrel was chasing him continuously.
    When Police arrived, the chase was still ongoing, but then the squirrel was so tired out
    he gave in and lay on the ground to sleep it off.
    Turns out he had lost his Mother and apparently they latch on to 'someone' as a replacement.
    Here he is …………………..

[​IMG]

2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Poor baby!

I have a few weird squirrels in my yard. One I mentioned awhile ago...it just lay there perfectly motionless for a long time....thought it was dead...maybe Pickles killed it because he hates squirrels and darts out the back sliding door if he sees one like a bat out of h*ll. ( whatever that means. :))

When i went out it ran off thankfully.

If I see one I make a noise before letting him out, same with birds....he's a killer!! :(

Micki Pembroke and Patsy Faye like this.
  3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

From what I have seen from the gray squirrels we have here, the adults are not particularly doting on their children once they become big enough to move about and eat on their own. I don't see them every year, but every couple of years, some very small squirrels will find their way to the squirrel/bird food bowl that I have on my second-floor fire escape. I assume they find it by following the adults, or maybe their mom shows them. But the adults chase them away each time.

Of course, the squirrels chase one another away all the time too, as they seem to have a problem with more than one of them picking nuts or eating at the same time. The young ones don't immediately learn that one-squirrel-at-a-time rule because they often come up as a group, only to be chased away by one of the adults. I assume that one of these adults must be the mother of these little ones, but I have never seen mom make way for her babies to eat. Maybe that's her way of teaching them proper squirrel behavior.

It seems that the young squirrels have to wait until late in the afternoon, at dusk, when the adults have finished gorging themselves, because that's when I see them. Again, they usually come as a group. When they are young, gray squirrels are mostly reddish-brown in color, and hard to tell apart from red squirrels, which we also have here. They grow quickly though, and it's difficult to tell them apart from the adults by the end of the summer, as their fur also changes color.

I am not an expert on Eastern Gray Squirrels, but I think the young ones leave to find new areas by the end of the summer. Otherwise, I'd have way more squirrels at my bowl than I do. They are supposed to have two litters a year, of from one to four babies, sometimes more. They give birth in February and March, and in June and July, according to Wikipedia, but I think the only ones I ever see are the ones who are born in the winter. I assume that mom feeds them through the winter because the small ones don't come around until spring.

This is actually somewhat on topic because I have never seen a baby squirrel following its mom around. Siblings seem to move around in a group, maybe following mom by sight, in order to learn where to find stuff, but it never seems that mom is leading them anywhere intentionally. Then again, different types of squirrels have different behaviors.

I have known several people who have made friends with them, at least to the point of them taking food from their hands. An older lady I met up north had one that would come into her house to beg for food. For that matter, when I was going up north more regularly, I'd bring food for the squirrels around our camp, and they'd follow me around in the trees. When I was putting a ceramic floor in the camp, I hadn't brought anything, and a squirrel came in and scolded me. Here, if I don't have any food in the bowl, one of the squirrels will sometimes bang on the window, although I'm never sure whether it's telling me to put food in the bowl or teasing the cat, as Ella takes it as a personal affront.

Anyhow, I would have a hard time not trying to accommodate that young squirrel if it were following me around like that.

4. Patsy Faye

Registered

Killer Pickles !! :eek: :p

5. Patsy Faye

Registered

@Ken Anderson - you provided a very interesting read, watched a programme on different makes of squirrel (last week)
    they are highly intelligent creatures so I doubt they need much coaching from Mum :)

6. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

This thread reminded me of the black squirrels of Kent State University. I remember seeing them all over campus as early as 1964.

"It started fifty years ago, February 1961. That’s when Larry Woodell, superintendent of grounds at Kent State University, and M. W. Staples, a retired executive of the Davey Tree Expert Co. imported ten black squirrels from Ontario, Canada. A second trip was made in March to obtain more squirrels. Both men worked with the Canadian Wildlife Service and American and Canadian Customs for over six months to gain permission to move the squirrels."

7. Patsy Faye

Registered

'Never' have I seen black squirrels - thanks Nancy :)

8. Patsy Faye

Registered

@Bess Barber - this is a lovely story you will probably like :)

Bess Barber likes this.
  9. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

Between the video and @Ken Anderson post, this is probably the first time I've ever really known anything at all about squirrel behavior. Thanks!!!!

10. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Bess Barber

Interested in becoming a bit "squirrely", are you? Just follow my leads.......:rolleyes:
    Frank

Bess Barber likes this.
  11. Bess Barber

Task Force Registered

I've been known to be a bit squirrely. I'm blond and old......I have all kinds of excuses for myself when I can't find my glasses hanging around my neck. :p

Micki Pembroke and Frank Sanoica like this.
  12. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I wouldn't make fun. I have two, maybe three, books on squirrels.

13. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Bess Barber
    But none of that is truly squirrely, I don't think. THIS is squirrely:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Micki Pembroke and Bess Barber like this.
  14. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Ken Anderson
    You have reminded me of the early days with my new, young wife, slowly learning English, German-born. At some get-together, I used the term "squirrely". For some reason, she began saying it as "squirmy". Everybody had a good laugh, implying her discomfiture. Squirmy became a private little joke between us forever.
    Frank

Micki Pembroke likes this.
  15. Bess Barber

Task Force Registered