Access To Eyecare

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Ken Anderson, Sep 21, 2024 at 2:03 PM.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Are other parts of the country experiencing difficulties with access to eyecare?

When I first moved to Maine in 2000, I was able to walk into an eyecare office and sometimes get an appointment that same day, although that certainly couldn't be depended upon. Nevertheless, I was pretty much always able to get an appointment for that same month.

Now, when I try to set up an appointment with an optometrist to get a new prescription for my eyeglasses, I can't get an appointment for less than five months away, and this isn't with a government eyecare facility. Although the optometrist who was once in Millinocket retired several years ago, and no one took over his practice, most of the same eyecare facilities are in place, and there are some new ones. But now, although I don't think Maine's population has grown a lot, it's damned difficult to get an eyecare appointment. Some of the optometrists I have called aren't even taking new clients. I have been looking for a new facility when the one that I have been going to for more than fifteen years couldn't get me an appointment for less than seven months away.

Today, they all have fancy new equipment, are charging far more than they were before, and they aren't even taking new patients.

2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I have my annual exam on Monday. I had an issue with a stye a while back and I think an emergency appointment was 6 weeks out.

I wonder if optometrists/ophthalmologists are having the same issues other practices are having...government regs (the "Affordable Care Act") are making it impractical to go into practice. That being said, after maybe 8 years, my ophthalmologist has finally taken on a partner in her previously solo practice.

3. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I haven't had trouble here yet, but I go through the VA and schedule months out anyway for annual checks. There is only one ophthalmologist near me, but there are tons in Anchorage. I don't know about the scheduling. The few times I have seen an ophthalmologist I have had no trouble, but the optometrist satisfies most of my needs except perhaps a future cataract surgery.

4. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

No problem here, at least for optometry. Seeing an ophthalmologist takes a little longer but typically just a couple of weeks or so.

Don Alaska likes this.
  5. John Nopales

John Nopales Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I'm still using glasses that I got 30 years ago which were 80% of the full prescription. They got had UV film
    that eventually got scratched up in just a few years, so I had a copy made during a dental appointment in Tijuana.
    Last year I ordered Armour Etch from Ebay that took the film off in 10 minutes, so now I have two pair of them.
    Options if I might need a stronger prescription are to order online with what I want, or get an appointment in town.
    I much favor online as the cost and hassle is much less.