Adult Coloring Books, Real And Online

Discussion in 'Hobbies & Crafts' started by Yvonne Smith, Dec 15, 2015.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Now if you have not heard of an "adult" coloring book before, let me hasten to explain that it is NOT the same as what are called "adult movies". It is simply a coloring book that was designed for an adult to enjoy themselves whiling away the afternoon coloring a picture.
    The coloring books are very intricate pictures, and people use colored pencils, and the colored felt tip pens to color each tiny part of the picture.
    Apparently, this hobby has completely taken off, at least here in the United States, and the book stores like Barnes and Noble and Books-a-Million are now selling coloring books.
    There are all kinds of pictures to color; so you can find one that has the kinds of pictures that you enjoy, and you can also order the coloring books on Amazon.

There are even forums about adult coloring, and this has become one of the most-loved hobbies that people are doing right now.
    No one is quite sure why it took off like it did; but it seems to meet a need for the easier, nostalgic days when we were children, and enjoyed spending a rainy afternoon in the house with our coloring books.
    I am just learning about this hobby, and wondering if anyone here has bought any adult coloring books yet ?

http://nypost.com/2015/12/13/hottest-trend-in-publishing-is-adult-coloring-books/

2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

That might be something I would try if I wanted to wean myself from being on the internet. Otherwise it's just something that would take me away from things I need to do.

If the finished product looked like a work of Art and was hang worthy on my wall then again I would consider it...maybe.

I am at a point where I refuse to bring another thing in to this house. I want to get rid of things.

It does look like fun though. :) But with 5 grandsons, I've been coloring for the last 16 years. Also playing with Play Doh, Legos and cars.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
    Ken Anderson likes this.
  3. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

I never heard of adult coloring books before. Sounds like fun….go for it! You like calligraphy so this sounds like a good fit for you. I've got large blank canvases calling my name to paint them, and to rework some I've already "completed" so I need to do those first or I'd be coloring books with you Yvonne.

4. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

Kinda like the old paint-by-number "paintings" of the 1950's.

5. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

Guess what….I'm visiting me mother tomorrow and this would be a perfect activity for us to do together! I looked online and found that Target carries them…so I'm off soon to see if ours has them. It's only 3 miles away so we'll see. I need to get motor oil for my car and some blueberries from their produce section. And some slipcovers for my 2 old chairs that I refuse to let go because we're in a comfy relationship LOL.

Yvonne Smith and Ike Willis like this.
  6. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

There are actually some adult coloring apps on the iPad also. I guess if you just wanted to enjoy the coloring part and not have to figure out what to do with the picture afterwards, the app pictures would work just as well.
    I have not tried any of the apps or the real thing either; and I am looking forward to your report on how you and your mother liked coloring together, @Lara Moss .

I have been looking at some of the painting apps for the iPad , and I found one tonight that is a lot of fun (at least I had fun with it).
    It is called Adobe Paint Can, and you can use it to turn any digital photo into a painting. I have been playing around with it, and changed my avatar picture into a painting.
    There are some interesting tutorial videos, and I think that I am going to enjoy it more and more as I learn all of the different things that I can do with it.

image.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
    Chrissy Cross likes this.
  7. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

The painting app looks interesting, Yvonne. Something I'll check out when I get back home.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  8. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

Yvonne, Tis the season for the stores to have empty shelves so I found no coloring books at Target. It was going to be a surprise for my mother as I went to spend the afternoon with her but I told her of my failed effort and she seemed uninterested in me persuing it. If I ever see them on the shelves I'll surely take a look though.

9. Will Lawrence

Will Lawrence Veteran Member
    Registered

We have a 19 year old granddaughter who is severely learning disabled. Our oldest daughter, her aunt, got the girl an adult coloring book for Christmas. The granddaughter has been at our home all day, today, coloring with colored pencils in the book. Probably the most content we've seen her in months.

10. Will Lawrence

Will Lawrence Veteran Member
    Registered

The "other side of books"......

My wife likes to get "coffee table books" for the kids and their families. This year she got the son and his family a nice "Ripley's Believe-It-Or-Not" book. The son and his boys were engrossed in that one for hours. The one daughter's family was given an "Animals of the World" book. They are avid outdoors kids and thought the book was awesome. Well, she couldn't find something to fit the other daughter and her family. So, she picked up a very large and professionally done "Bathroom Reader for Grown-Ups". We've had other 'bathroom readers' and they have been sorta like a Reader's Digest. That is what she expected here.
    They were wrapped without her looking through them.
    When the family was here and the son-in-law unwrapped the 'bathroom reader' he was laughing until he opened it and began looking through it. Instead of a bathroom reader for "grown-ups" it should have been well stated it was for "adults"!!! The book, even though you could never tell from the cover, had articles on "Finding the 'G' Spot" and other chapters that would not make for typical "family entertainment". There were a number of red faces, including my wife's!!!!!

Lara Moss likes this.
  11. Hannah Davis

Hannah Davis Veteran Member
    Registered

Yes, my sister and I have now rediscovered coloring this year. She bought me an adult coloring book this year for Christmas and told me that she thought I would enjoy it. She has been working in a school where she rediscovered coloring and how much she loved to do it. She thought it would be a great hobby for me because I work online and there isn't much outside that that I do other than sewing, which I don't do too much of these days. Anyway, since Christmas, I have found that I absolutely love to unwind while coloring. I think this is the main attraction to this new craze, coloring is relaxing and its fun. I also ordered some more adult coloring books for both of us thanks to a friend who gave me a gift certificate for a hobby store this year as a Christmas gift. Another thing I love about it, this is a hobby that you can do while watching TV or listening to music. It's also something you can do while waiting somewhere to occupy your mind.

Will Lawrence likes this.
  12. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

13. Bonnie Thomas

Bonnie Thomas Veteran Member
    Registered

I have two Johanna Basford adult coloring books. One I bought about six months ago, one received as a Christmas gift.
    They can keep you busy for hours .... be sure to get artist quality hard thin pencils.
    I take them outside when I want to sit and get some sun.

Also, adult Dot to Dot books can be fun too. Brain Games makes the best one .. imo.

Ina I. Wonder and Chrissy Cross like this.
  14. Mari North

Mari North Veteran Member
    Registered

I bought an adult coloring book for my daughter last summer... and some really great artist-grade colored pencils to go with it. She liked it, but I discovered that I don't have the patience for all that fine detail work. My style is more (should I really admit this?!) o_O ) the coloring books I got her as a child with the Crayolas.

Adult dot to dot I haven't heard of before... but I used to like them a lot when I was a kid, and even teen. What is it that makes them adult? A very large number of dots to connect?

15. Bonnie Thomas

Bonnie Thomas Veteran Member
    Registered

not only large number of dots .. 250-350 a puzzle, but they start and stop, and make you look in several directions to continue at times. .. very detailed. The particular book I mentioned seems to be the best for a good challenge. I've seen others that I just didn't like .. too scrambled and 'messy' ..lol

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/bra...ernational-staff/1115121782?ean=9781450875752

Mari North likes this.