Advice: Being Forgetful

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Janet Elice, Jun 19, 2017.

1. Janet Elice

Janet Elice Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Hi All,

I just turned 60, and I'm getting a bit forgetful. Sometimes I miss when to take my medication.

Have you guys been experiencing the same problem, especially with forgetting medication and where objects are? How do you solve them?

Thank you so much!

- Janet :)

Ken Anderson likes this.
  2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

First, welcome to the forum.

I'm not too bad about forgetting things like that but I do make lists..every day.

3. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Welcome @Janet Elice. These are definitely problems that we oldsters start experiencing so don't feel alone in this.

My advice is to always put your daily medicine together, they have those every day of the week dividers that you can buy and fill each week with your daily meds. And then you can tell by whether the day of the week is empty of pills or not whether you have taken your meds. If you have problems with filling them, please ask a family member or friend you trust to do this for you for each week.

Try to place the things you use in the same place at all times. If you have one place for them always, it should be less confusing for you to remember where things are.

4. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Yes, my keys always go back in my purse so I'm never looking for them like my daughter who is only 46 is...she walks in the house and lays them down wherever she is and she's usually doing a million other things at the same time.

That's when I run into trouble...if I'm multitasking, I make mistakes somewhere.

5. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

If you have would have a problem with the weekly filling @Janet Elice there are also daily containers for just one day of your meds. If they are still there by the time you are ready for bed...then you know you haven't taken them.

I haven't experienced this problem to a point where I need help with this, but I encourage you that if you feel you are at that point...to ask someone for help. Maybe someone could just make sure you only have the medicine you need for that day in a place where you can always see it...like by your morning cup of coffee or next to your toothbrush, etc.

6. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Also...HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  7. Janet Elice

Janet Elice Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Thank you so much @chrissy and @babs for the advice.

8. Chrissy Cross

Registered

You're very welcome. Come and enjoy the forum, it will keep your mind sharp! :)

Also, you might want to fix your profile...you put your sex as "male".

Patsy Faye and Yvonne Smith like this.
  9. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

Welcome to the forum @Janet Elice, and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

Daily medications use to be one of my husband chores, and I admit, it was very much a chore since I need to take meds three times a day. Now that it is just me, I found that a watch with an alarm works. Of course if I don't take the meds right then, I'm likely to forget them, and of course I must reset the alarm for the next set.

I found that belonging to a forum such as this does sharpen my memory. If I forget something, the friends I've made here will gently remind me.

At first I thought that being a part of a senior forum would make me feel decrepit, but in reality it has made me feel the opposite. I hope we can make you feel more like the youngster you are. :)

Janet Elice and Yvonne Smith like this.
  10. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

@Janet Elice, welcome to the forum. I have always been forgetful so it's hard for me to tell how much of it might be from aging. What bothers me is when I forget words because I have always prided myself on being able to use words. Often now, I forget simple words. "Where are the... you know, the round things that I put soup in?"

11. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Ha ha Ken - so familiar :p

Janet Elice and Chrissy Cross like this.
  12. Patsy Faye

Registered

Hello Janice and welcome - wish I could help, but I'm about the same as yourself ! :p

Janet Elice likes this.
  13. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I also forget words but what bothers me the most is spelling. I used to be a top notch speller. Made it as the alternate in the 7th grade spelling bee but now I can't remember how to spell some words so I'll revise my sentence using a word I do remember how to spell.

I never use spell check...just have auto correct and that sometimes is way off.

Janet Elice and Yvonne Smith like this.
  14. Patsy Faye

Registered

Same here Chrissy - I was top of the class for spelling - sad I've lost it, well not totally, just not as good

Janet Elice and Chrissy Cross like this.
  15. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

My memory plays those tricks on me sometimes, too. Just like Ken, it is usually some very common word that I can't remember, and then I have to try and pantomime it out to Bobby so he can figure out what I am trying to think of.
    Same with spelling, it is often some word that I have known how to spell forever; but suddenly I am not sure exactly how to spell it anymore, and I do the same thing that Chrissy does, I think of another word that I can spell.
    Even worse, sometimes I find myself using the wrong form of a word when I am typing, like "Here" instead of "Hear" or something similar to that.
    I think that the coconut oil has been helping my memory though because I seem to be doing better at remembering most of the time.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017