Ahhhh... I Finally Found Them in VHS

Discussion in 'Movies & Entertainment' started by Sarah Price, Apr 18, 2015.

1. Sarah Price

Sarah Price Veteran Member
    Registered

I like to pick up what I consider to be "classics" whenever I go to thrift stores. So yesterday, I found all the Alien movies, for 50 cents apiece to use in my VCR. I already have watched Alien and Aliens and probably tomorrow, the 3rd one.

I've been wanting to watch these again for quite a while, but they aren't on my Netflix account or my Amazon prime, but now I have them to watch whenever I want. :)

2. John Donovan

John Donovan Veteran Member
    Registered

Nice! I still browse thrift shops from time to time hoping to find some classic movies or hardware, but sadly, the thrift shops in my area only have german copies of movies, and given that I am absolutely terrible with german, I don't get them.

3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

There are not very many shows that I like watching over and over, but there are some, and I'll buy these when I come across them on sale somewhere. Sam's Club often has some good prices on old television series. Little House on the Prairie is one that I can watch repeatedly and still enjoy it, so I have that set, as well as a couple of movies that were done on the same books.

4. Mal Campbell

Mal Campbell Supreme Member
    Registered

Ah, the ancient and mostly overlook VHS! I know today, nobody considers them to have value, but like you've said, there were a lot of things sold on VHS that haven't made their way to DVD or netflix. I'm an avid exerciser and love exercise videos. I probably have 100 old ones on VHS. I've looked for them on DVD, but no go - they were not reproduced on DVD. But they're still great workouts. Hopefully, the tapes won't break or the VHS player stop working. I'm not sure you can even buy VHS players anymore.

5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I don't trust that I'll always have a VHS player that works so most of what I have is on DVD, actually.

6. Brittany Houser

Brittany Houser Veteran Member
    Registered

We have both DVD's and VHS for the reason that Ken stated. Recently my daughter and I re-discovered a bunch of our old VHS tapes. So here we were, ready to be dripping with nostalgia, only to discover that most of our tapes had become corrupt over the years. It was a sad day. Now when I find them at thrift stores, etc, I'll only buy them if they're really inexpensive, because there is no guarantee that they'll work.

7. Sarah Price

Sarah Price Veteran Member
    Registered

I have had my VCR for about 15 years now and it is still going strong. However, I recently went to a thrift store and bought an old VCR for backup. I had to buy a cord for it and a universal remote but it does work. The VCR was only 4 bucks. So the two that I have are probably my last ones in my lifetime, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed they last until DVD's are super cheap at thrift stores! Then I'll buy those.

8. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Veteran Member
    Registered

I had a box of VHS tapes and decided to transfer them to DVD. I bought a suitable gadget for about £50 (say 75 dollars?) and spent a couple of weeks going through them. I was pleasantly surprised at the result; I managed to copy everything and get rid of that pile of tapes.

It's surprising what you come across in that sort of exercise. I had videos of sporting events from the early 1990s and discovered some films that I'd forgotten about, including a nice little collection of Marx Brothers films.

9. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I love Sigourney Weaver in Alien! I have all three VHS classics as well although I did find them on DVD online. I'm like Mal some movies just didn't make it to DVD so I keep hanging on to them. I search the thrift stores, yard sales and such for cheap VHS and have been disappointed with the picture quality. Of course I don't expect someone to check out each one and get paid for it o_O.

My VHS are back-ups. DVDs tend to abruptly stop working or get stuck in a loop :confused:.