Alcohol

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Peter Renfro, Jan 14, 2020.

1. Peter Renfro

Peter Renfro Veteran Member
    Registered

Just curious, what role does alcohol play in your life??
    My family were teetotalers, even light use of alcohol was frowned on. The Methodist Church I attended as a child even used grape juice as the blood.
    There was never a bit of booze at the gatherings, even behind the barn.
    My wife on the other hand is a child of a full blown high functioning alcoholic. The first thing that happened entering that home was to be offered a drink,and you didn't turn it down.
    The fact that they were Eastern European contributed greatly to that tradition.
    We have wine and liquor in our home,but it some bottles are probably a decade old. During the summer I do keep beer in the fridge,but it is not a staple.

2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I grew up in just about the same kind of home as you did, @Peter Renfro . My folks had a bottle of vodka in the bottom cupboard, which they used when someone was sick, and that was a spoonful with a few drops of wintergreen and sugar added to it. they had the same bottle the whole time I was growing up, and it was probably still half full when I got married and left home.
    My dad had the obligatory drink at the Christmas party each year, and carried the glass around all evening, and no one even noticed that it was only one glass of whatever it was. I don’t even know if he actually drank that, or just found a time when he could pour it down the sink at some point.

We didn’t even associate with anyone who drank, and when I met my first husband (who did drink), I had no idea that was the smell on his breath. Unknown to me at that time, he was an alcoholic, and later added drugs to the mix, and pretty much ruined his mind over the years.
    He dies not have dementia, but he can barely function anymore, due to all of the years of drinking and drugs, and I feel sorry for him.

Now, neither Bobby nor I drink, and so alcohol does not play a part in our lives. I was never much of a drinker over the years, anyway, even when married to my ex-husband , who drank constantly.

Bobby Cole and Peter Renfro like this.
  3. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I am also the child of a high-functioning alcoholic. We have liquor, beer and wine in the house most of the time, but we rarely drink anything other than an occasional beer or glass of wine. I have no idea how old some of the liquor is or when it was purchased. I have no problem with alcohol unless it is used to excess.

4. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

I miss my evening tipple :(

5. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Beth Gallagher

What is the meaning of "high-functioning alcoholic"?
    Frank

Bess Barber likes this.
  6. Peter Renfro

Registered

A high functioning addict is one who is mostly able to manage a normal life,ie: holding a job,avoiding criminal penalties,maintaing a family and a home.
    There is a NY state assemblyman who was busted for DWI New Years Eve. Google Brian Kolb. Look at the ruddy complexion,the bloated face, the rheumy eyes.
    Dictionary picture of a high functioning addict if I ever saw one.

7. Milla Jonas

Milla Jonas Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I tasted alcohol for the first time in my life when I was 40 years old ( it was beer ) I didn’t like it ...I’ve since tasted various wines ( I live in a area that grows allot of Australia’s wine grapes ) along with the production of the grapes to make wine .
    I’ve tasted a sip of reds / whites / sparkling NO don’t like the taste of any of them ,I’d rather drink water with fresh lemon juice
    The strongest thing I like that can be slightly alcoholic is brewed tea called Kombucha

Frank Sanoica and Bess Barber like this.
  8. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

It plays no role in my life. I grew up in a church where drinking alcohol was considered a sin. While I no longer consciously believe that anyone is going to hell because they have a beer or a glass of wine once in a while, it still feels wrong to me. When something feels wrong to me, I like to listen to that even if I don't understand why it would be wrong, and this is made even easier by the fact that I don't much like the taste of most alcoholic beverages and the few times I have been drunk, I didn't find it to be a pleasant experience. I have tasted some red wines that I kind of liked the taste of but I can never remember what I liked so if I were to buy a bottle, I'd probably hate it. In high school, I attended a lot of parties and was even arrested for being a minor in possession of beer, but I would carry the same bottle around all night, pouring it out when no one was looking. So, I don't drink alcohol, but neither do I look down on those who do unless, of course, I'm looking down on them because they're passed out on the sidewalk.

9. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

I go to a synagogue. As long as we tithe and our meat and milk isn't on the same shelf, we are good to go.
    I no longer drink because I'm too old to weather a 3 day hangover gracefully, plus now the blood sugar thing.
    If it wasn't for those couple of things, I would be posting with a totally carefree attitude.
    More misspelled words, more run on sentences....but totally carefree. :D

Lois Winters and Frank Sanoica like this.
  10. Peter Renfro

Registered

I never bought into the sin and religious aspect of drinking,and in my idiot years I made a fool of myself more than once. just never found it necessary to enjoy a social occasion,and as I got older just lost any interest in it.

11. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Skipping my younger excursions :)
    But now as we are older drinking is not a big deal for us. I do have mixed drink once in awhile- he drinks beer on occasion. Will probably cook with the wine in fridge..or dump it.

12. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

Had mudslides on our 50th anniversary. Only an occasional beer since then.

Beth Gallagher and Frank Sanoica like this.
  13. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

I came from a very social family and we had alcohol in the house all the time. I've certainly done my share of partying in the past, but only have a drink on occasion today. My son has several liquor cabinets, but he likes a beer.

Frank Sanoica and Beth Gallagher like this.