All Pet Persons

Discussion in 'Pets & Critters' started by Micki Pembroke, Aug 5, 2019.

1. Micki Pembroke

Micki Pembroke Veteran Member
    Registered

Would love to hear from you about all kinds of pets, dogs, cats, horses, cows, bunnies, birds, anything you consider a pet.....not spouses...lol...lol.

Patsy Faye and Frank Sanoica like this.
  2. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Micki Pembroke
    We had a pet goat to sustain us food-wise while out of work, living in a cabin up in the woods. Woodburning cookstove, my wife baked a small loaf of bread nearly every day, using goat's milk. She also made delicious cheese. We had rabbits, not pets, we had no money or food, so.....

Years earlier, before being stranded in such a predicament, I had several pet bats!
    Frank

3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Many of us have discussed our pets here. Unlike some other forums, we encourage people to reopen any old threads as well as starting new ones, so if you come across anything that you'd like to join in on here, please do. As for myself, I have never had a dog of my own, although we had family dogs when I was a kid, but I have always had cats, whom I have discussed in this section often. I am down to one cat right now, as we lost our 28-year-old a month or so ago.

4. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

We have had many animals, but only dogs, cats and rabbits as pets. We also had sled dogs (working dogs similar to draft horses and donkeys, etc.) and goats sheep, pigs, chickens, ducks, geese, turkeys, and rabbits as food.

Nancy Hart likes this.
  5. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

No pets. However, there was a sign In a cafe I once worked in that read:
    If your wife can't cook, keep her as a pet and eat here. So, in that sense,
    Maybe I do have one.

Micki Pembroke and Nancy Hart like this.
  6. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

When I was fostered, the family had a wonderful dog 'Bimbo' named after a popular song.
    She was a Godsend to me, the timing of her was perfect. She seemed to know my sadness although I never showed
    it. We had an instant bond and although there were other children of the family and she was theirs, we were inseparable.
    I returned 5 years later for a visit and as I turned the corner, I saw Bimbo playing outside the house which was a long way
    down from me. I yelled her name, she turned and then run so fast to me. We both cried, she really was uncontrollable.
    Its a memory so vivid that will never leave me.

7. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

:);):D

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  8. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

We are dog people. Have never had more than two at a time. Since our Dottie died we have Radar left.... ChiWeenie dog.
    He thinks he is a cat the wsy he climbs over und under things.

Attached Files:

9. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

We have three dogs and the only pedigree that is certain is the poodle which we call “poodle”.
    I did however ask my wife if we could have a pet elephant a couple of years ago and she just looked at me funny. A funny look means no.
    Just kidding guys!
    When I leave the shop door open I risk stepping in uh...yeah, that stuff so I can’t imagine stepping in what an elephant leaves “behind”.

Still, there is probably some poor homeless elephant wandering around the street looking for someone to take the poor soul in and give it pets and cuddles. Poor elephant.....:(

Micki Pembroke and Nancy Hart like this.
  10. Patsy Faye

Registered

I'll take it in !

upload_2019-8-6_15-28-51.jpeg

11. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Great! That relieves me of a lot of pressure and stress. Back when I was thinking about it I thought I might name the elephant Poodle but now that we have a Poodle named Poodle that title is taken.
    And, after all, as I think about it what self respecting elephant would want to be called Poodle? Chihuahua maybe, but not Poodle.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
    Micki Pembroke and Patsy Faye like this.
  12. Patsy Faye

Registered

No, not poodle - I think Efalant is a much better name :p
    @Bobby Cole

Micki Pembroke and Bobby Cole like this.
  13. Micki Pembroke

Registered

During the very hard times, as you experienced, you had to do what was a need, not as a want, pets then wasn't a luxury that many people could have, pet's aren't and shouldn't be defined to dogs or cats, whatever a person chooses to be a pet, for that unconditional connection is your pet. i've never met a bat yet, but they do spark my interest.

14. Micki Pembroke

Registered

An animal lover, regardless, we have to remember what is for pleasure and for survival, did not experience that myself in the olden days, but i do understand. Mother Nature is very giving for our hopefully unwaistful needs.

15. Micki Pembroke

Registered

Totally love this. Had fostered several years ago, always made my heart melt when one of our pets opened up to any of our foster kids. Animals are so amazing, think we could do some learning from them.

Patsy Faye likes this.