All Saints Day

Discussion in 'Holidays & Traditions' started by Corie Henson, Nov 2, 2015.

1. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

Right after Halloween on October 31, we have here All Saints Day on November 1 followed by All Souls Day on November 2. Particularly the Catholics, they troop to the cemetery on November 1 in commemoration of their dead relatives. Take note, it should be November 2 since that is All Souls Day but the practice is being observed on All Saints Day.

There is brisk sales not only of candles but also of food stuff in the cemetery. The place is already crowded as early as 7 am and some even stayed overnight so they are in the cemetery on the morning of November 1. That is one tradition that we hold dear although it is being threatened by the paradigm shift of buring the dead because cremation is now getting popular. Ashes go to columbarium and not to the cemetery.

Diane Lane likes this.
  2. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I've never heard of a columbarium. I guess that is a place where the ashes rest in peace? I believe some ashes here are buried, and others are stored in a building at the cemetaries, perhaps those are called columarium. I know my uncle's is at one back home. I'll have to see if I can find out what it's called. I used to go to church on all of the holy days of obligation, but since my car isn't in the best shape, i try to limit my trips. I like that I can record mass on my DVR or watch it live. It's not the same thing, but it is nice to at least participate in some way.

Corie Henson likes this.
  3. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

When I lived in Hungary for 6 years that was done. That is when everyone went to the cemetary and lit candles and placed flowers on the graves of loved ones.

I can't remember if it was done On Nov.1 or 2 but I do remember That while there I always lit a candle for my grandmother and grandfather, even though they are buried in Chicago, Illinois.

4. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

Cremating the dead was unthinkable when I was young. I would hear the adults say that you are already dead and you are still being punished (with the burning). But a few decades back, it appeared that cremation was getting to be in fashion. With that, businessmen will not be left behind. They had created columbariums. The firrst ones are located inside churches particularly in the inner walls of the church. But now there are columbariums built for that purpose alone although they are still adjacent to a church.

We bought a niche that can hold 4 urns. It is equivalent to a cemetery lot that can have 4 tombs. Our columbarium is the St. Therese in Newport City beside the Manila international airport. That one unit costs $2,000 in 2012 and now the value is almost doubled due to the popularity of cremation.

5. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

My husband is cremated and is in an urn that sits on top of my armoire in my bedroom. He's been there for 11 years. I just can't seem to scatter his ashes anywhere for some reason...guess I still cant let go.