All That Jazz

Discussion in 'Music' started by Tony Page, Mar 21, 2024.

1. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

2. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

3. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

4. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm not much of a jazz fan, but I do like this old Dave Brubeck.

Tony Page likes this.
  5. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

The main reasons I subscribed to XM Radio in the first place was for the jazz channels. Now they are down to one.

My older brother was one of the founding members of the Army's jazz band, and had an extensive collection of music.

Bobby Cole and Tony Page like this.
  6. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

Before I got married I worked with a fellow his name was champ you'll see I dedicated a song to him in one of the other posts. He became my best friend and was a very knowledgeable and a great jazz lover. About two times a month he'd come over we'd go into my parents basement where I had a pretty decent stereo system, I'd buy a new Jazz album per his recommendation, it was vodka on the rocks and listen to jazz.
    He got drafted went to Vietnam was killed trying to recover a claymore mine. I miss him we were like two peas in a pod.

For Champ

7. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

8. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Many moons ago I was the F&B director of a high end motel complete with a very large Jazz oriented cocktail lounge in Flagstaff, Arizona.
    The normal bill of fare at the Jazz club was a guy on piano, another on drums and bass which drew a pretty good crowd 5 nights a week.

One fairly busy night when I had to step behind the bar to help out, a fellow who had just walked in told me he was the band director at NAU and further told me that his Jazz band students were outside in a bus and asked if they could come inside and jam.
    *Of course, all of them were underage but I not only consented but I set up a keg in the adjoining kitchen so they could have a couple of free beers on the sly.*

Nope, that’s not the end of the story because about an hour later, the complete, still in uniform, Air Force jazz band walked in. The OIC told me that he heard we had the only Jazz club in Flagstaff so they decided to stop, have some drinks and maybe jam a little.

So now, we had about 70-80 men all sitting wherever and jamming out and blowing the doors off the place.
    Well, they didn’t exactly blow the doors off but I definitely did open all the exterior doors (four sets) so everyone within earshot could hear the biggest collection of Jazz musicians in the state.

And yeah, we did get a couple of complaints from those in the motel who wanted to sleep but from the number of charges we got at the bar from motel guests, most of them heard the music, came out of their rooms and had a blast with the rest of the crowd.

Note: Unfortunately I didn’t think to ask why both bands were out and about. A nearby jazz festival or some sort? Dunno.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2024
    Jenna Parnellson and Tony Page like this.
  9. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

"The Jazz Ambassadors present Joy Spring, composed by Clifford Brown and arranged by Sgt. Maj. (ret.) Scott Arcangel. Featuring Staff Sgt. Alexis Cole on vocals, and Sgt. Maj. Kevin Watt on trumpet."

Joy Spring - The Jazz Ambassadors

Tony Page likes this.
  10. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

Great Story! I frequented a place That on Sundays Had jam sessions. It's amazing how much Talent is out there but not recognized.

11. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

Terrific! first time I heard this.

12. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

I remember the tune but not the lyrics, I'm not sure I know the difference between Jaz and blues, although I know there is one.
    What a sad story, I hated that war, but loved our troops.

13. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

14. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

There are differences between Jazz and blues I know tempo is one of them, However for our purposes They can all be considered jazz.
    Just a note both jazz & blues Originated in the south.

15. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

I've watched "Chicago" movie a few times, and listen to the soundtrack often.

Marie Mallery likes this.