Alternative To Senior Facilities

Discussion in 'Retirement & Leisure' started by Sherry Von, Oct 7, 2024 at 3:24 PM.

1. Sherry Von

Sherry Von Member
    Registered

Thinking about what I will do if my husband dies. I have severe depression, anxiety and due to a spine problem very limited time to sit and stand! We are living in a single home, my husband brings home take out and I order a little online from food stores. I'm not poor so I don't qualify for assisted living funds from Medicaid but can't afford 4,500 a month to live in independent or assisted living. My husband is the only person in my support system. Is anyone here in the same position? I'm really unable to live alone. My cognition is bad from health anxiety and lack of sleep and I'm not able enough in many ways to live alone and it wouldn't be safe for me. I'd like to connect with others who have similar needs and don't know where or how they will live in the future.

2. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I really have no experience in that area @Sherry Von, but folks here are happy with state-run senior centers. I have no idea if Pennsylvania has such things. Sorry.

Bobby Cole and Vada Bloom like this.
  3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Welcome to the forum, @Sherry Von ! Glad to have you here , and joining in our discussions.
    I can totally relate to what you are saying, about not being able to live alone. I am almost 80, and depend on my husband for just about everything that I used to be able to do on my own.

We are low-income, so if something happened to Bobby, and I had to go into some kind of apartment, it would be a low-income one. As long as I am healthy enough not to need a nursing home (my number one reason to try and stay healthy !), I would go to a senior apartment complex. They often have community areas where people can get together and watch movies, or just to socialize, and make friends.
    While they do not have the doctor facilities that a nursing home care has, they are better than trying to live in a whole house all alone.

I have a walmart+ membership, and I order groceries online and they are delivered, and my husband carries them in. If mobility is limited, this is a fairly good option, and some delivery people will bring the groceries right up to your doorstep. Bobby always like to go down to the street and meet them, but that is by his choice, not necessity.

Bobby Cole, Don Alaska and Vada Bloom like this.
  4. Vada Bloom

Vada Bloom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Hello Sherry and welcome to you.

I think we all get a little anxious about how things will go for us as we age. I lost my husband some years ago and it is a big adjustment.
    Last year I started looking at various living options for the time when I may not be able to take care of myself.

There are places that can help you understand the options and find one that fits you best but you should know before you contact one of them that they can be very helpful and also a bit annoying. Most of the places they recommend will have independent living, assisted living and memory care and they are expensive but it also depends on where you live. Some states have much lower prices than others. A Place for Mom and Caring.com are 2 websites that offer a lot of information at no charge but they do stay in touch more than you might want.

There are senior apartment buildings that offer no care but they are much less expensive than those who do and you may be able to have someone come in to help if you need it. https://holidayseniorliving.com/ is one that caters to seniors and provides meals and some help but not assisted living or nursing care. Their rates are lower accordingly and they seem to have facilities in many states.

Your doctor might have a good idea of which senior housing is good and which is not.

I hope that getting more information will help you to feel more at ease about your options.

Bobby Cole and Don Alaska like this.
  5. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

Hi @Sherry Von, glad you found the forum, and welcome. I think fear is maybe, the number 1 crippler, fear of the unknown, and we worry ourselves sick with the "what ifs". The only thing we really have is today, one day, to get through. If we are regretting the past, and/or worrying about the future, we are wasting "today". I say that in memory of the people that taught me to take one day at a time. Planning, and looking into things is smart, but worrying just makes me so sick, depressed, and cripples the day for me. I don't want to add to my regrets of my past. I don't want to wake up tomorrow and know I wasted yet another day I could have been enjoying what I have today, and thanking God for my blessings I have now.

I also want to add that the lower-income apartments I live in also rent to folks with higher incomes, much higher than mine. They're called LIHTC Housing and stands for Low Income Tax Credit. This might suit you if you end up on your own Sherry. They have it in every State I know of. You can have caregivers come in to help you, and many here just order their foods that come right to their doors. They are very, disabled-friendly as well, but you'd have to check out the different ones to find what might fit you best. In my place, 2 people can live together, be married. I found my place at affordablehousingonline.com but you can also just google LIHTC Tenant info.

6. Sherry Von

Sherry Von Member
    Registered

Hey Don, do you mean local senior centers that local seniors can use like a drop in center with activities or a home where you pay monthly rent?

Bobby Cole and Yvonne Smith like this.