Amazon Can Now Unlock Your Door And Deliver

Discussion in 'Online Retailers' started by Babs Hunt, Oct 25, 2017.

1. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Bill Boggs and Holly Saunders like this.
  2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

If they're checked out I wouldn't care and take responsibility for anything broken or stolen.

My daughter has people coming and going in her house when nobody is home all the time. They're always having something done and the workers are there alone.

She also leaves the side door open for her cleaners that com eonce a week, she's at work.

Nothing has ever been stolen and they have plenty to steal.

She doesn't seemed concerned.

3. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

There is very few places that are private anymore....my home is not a place I want to make a public domain.

4. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

It doesn't bother me as long as it's not messed up, I don't care.

It's not a service I need but if I did, I'd have no problem.

5. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Nope not a chance.....

6. Ann George

Ann George Veteran Member
    Registered

@Holly Saunders,

I agree - wouldn't want them unlocking any of my doors. The delivery can wait until someone is there to receive it or will pick it up at another location (eg. post office)

7. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

In our location, virtually all deliveries coming to our front door are left there outdoors, even if we're home! Today, a loud knock, my wife hurriedly pulled something on, er......less revealing, I looked out the window to see the UPS driver getting back into his truck, and she brought in the package. Fed Ex does it similarly, USPS has on occasion, if no signature is required. Why should they not? Didn't homes long ago all have an ornate little box or cubicle on the outside doorframe, where the mail was stuck in, and left protruding out of the top?

No, unknown deliverers whether common carrier or Amazon, will ever enter our home.

Frank

Kitty Carmel likes this.
  8. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

I saw this on the news last night. In my case, no way. My apartment complex is quiet and there has never been a problem here that I am aware of regarding package theft. I have heard some young people at the post office asking about packages they thought were stolen and this could happen more in the downtown or college areas.

My thought is if people do get a lot of packages there could be some kind of lock box that attaches by the door and that could be automatically opened by delivery drivers. There would be a size limit of coarse.

9. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

If a person lived in an apartment complex where they have a Manager's Office, I don't see why the Office couldn't keep your delivery for you until you could pick it up. A lock box would be a good idea too @Kitty Carmel. Packages are getting stolen more these days and if there are going to be more home deliveries in the future this problem needs to be addressed and solutions found for them.

10. Kitty Carmel

Registered

@Babs Hunt Our office here has limited hours. They only work in the office about half day. I have found that this newer manager we have is at least in the office during posted office hours.

Yesterday when I got home from work my Chewy.com order was waiting for me and the cats by the door.

I have a PO Box where most of my items go. I am hoping to move one of these days and if I get a permanent address, I'll be glad to dump the PO Box. I just paid the yearly 90 dollars.

I agree with more people shopping online the thieves are always looking for more ways they can steal.

Babs Hunt likes this.
  11. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I love to shop online and do not enjoy going shopping at the stores at all. I am home most of the time so it usually isn't a problem for me to be here when something is delivered but I have come home a few times and found a package on my porch....and thought about how easy it would have been for someone to just take that package and I would have never known it came in the first place.

It seems the stealing picks up during the Holiday season too which we are about to head into. Each year I hear more and more stories about deliveries turning up missing and even Delivery drivers never making the delivery. There definitely needs to be some changes here.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  12. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Kitty Carmel
    Your thought of having a "lock-box" appeared long ago for me when I took over the Service Station. It had a little office set off from the main work area, a big plate glass window looking out, beneath which was built into the wall, a steel box about the size of a small suitcase (the entire building was made of steel). A locked, hinged door on the box opened into the office, while a similar door existed on the outside, outdoors. When the "gasoline drop" arrived, the driver very first thing used his key to open the lock box from the outside. If the funds to pay for the drop were not in that box, he left without dropping the fuel load. And, that had best not happen more than once! I received 8800 gallons each drop, which cost me around $3,000. Imagine the cost today! That was in 1972. The driver picked up cash, checks, and credit card sales receipts.
    Frank

13. Kitty Carmel

Registered

I like shopping online too. I just got a scare when I looked and it said that the cat bed I ordered from Amazon (covered bed that I hope my tabby who likes it warm will use when it gets cold) was delivered on the 24th. I thought it would come UPS and was not at my door. Then I realized it stated delivery via the postal service so it was in the lock box at our mail boxes with the key being in my mail box. The box was just small enough to fit.

14. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Veteran Member
    Registered

I wonder what Amazon would charge for them to swing by and unlock my door
    when I couldn't remember that 'code' thing...:rolleyes:

15. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Tim Burr
    Yet another "password" to add to our cluttered, "safe", unintrudable lives!