Amazon First Reads

Discussion in 'Reading & Writing' started by Yvonne Smith, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

This used to be called “Kindle First”, and Amazon just changed the name, but it still is the same thing. How it works is that once you sign up for this, each month on the first, they send you an email with around 4-5 books of different genres. You can look at the info on each book and choose whichever one you want and download it for free.
    These are usually new books that are not even on the Kinde Store yet, and there is always an interesting selection to choose from.

If you have Amazon Prime, you can also borrow a lot of books from the Prime Reading Library. You can borrow the book (or magazine) for as long as you want to keep it; but you can only have about 10 books at a time checked out, so as you return the ebooks you can check out new ones.
    You do not have to have an actual Kindle to read any of these books, just the Kindle app on your tablet or computer will work. I have a little Kindle Fire, and all that I use it for is reading books because it is the perfect size for that, and very lightweight.

Just in case you didn’t already know about these, there is also Bookbub.com, and Bookgorilla.com and both of these websites have free or discounted ebooks that you can get. Once you go to the website and register, they send you an email each day with the new books that have been listed that are in the categories that you choose when you register (these can be changed or modified anytime).

Here is the link to sign up for Amazon First Reads, and you can also see the selection of ebooks for January.

https://www.amazon.com/kindle-dbs/firstreads

2. Nancy Smith

Nancy Smith New Member
    Registered

Can you read the books from Bookbub.com, and Bookgorilla.com on your Kindle?

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Yes, you can download them to your Kindle, or whatever you read ebooks with, just like any other books that you get through Amazon. the nice thing about places like Bookbub is that they do the “searching” for you instead of having to go to Amazon and look for new books in the categories you want to read. When you register, you fill out a profile of the types of books you are interested in, and the book service goes through the books on sale and sends you an email each day.
    You can be as specific or as broad as you want to be in your specifications for books. At first, I picked too many catagories, and had a huge list to go through each day, so then I narrowed it down to where I get a lot less, and you can always revise your choices anytime you want to do that.

4. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I haven't signed up for either of those programs but I read a lot of books from Amazon. I thought I had or might have a serious medical and I read at night to keep me from lying awake thinking on it. I have been reading mysterys and westerns. I found a new western author who had self published on Amazon. The first three I read were really good stories, but the last four I got were, to my mind, unreadable, simplistic unrealistic plots. However, they only cost .99 cents each, so I'm back looking for a good western writer. I do get emails from Bookbub periodically.