Amazon Just Delivered My New Kindle Reader

Discussion in 'Reading & Writing' started by Lon Tanner, Mar 3, 2020.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

My old one was destroyed. Looking forward to some good reading. Any one else use Kindle?

Yvonne Smith and Holly Saunders like this.
  2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes, I have a Kindle and a Fire tablet, and I installed the Kindle app on my other devices (phone, iPad, etc.) I love that I can start reading on one of them and pick up the story where I left off on any of the others.

Yvonne Smith and Lon Tanner like this.
  3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I have four of them. A couple of the readers, one being one of the first models with actual buttons rather than virtual buttons, the other being a regular reader, and two Fires a small one and a larger one. I use all four of them from time to time.

4. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I loved my first old Kindle with the buttons. It was going strong until last summer when I dropped it on the concrete in the back yard and it bounced into the pool. I was so bummed. It must have been close to 9 years old and still going strong. That original would hold a charge better than any of the newer ones.

That reminds me, does anyone remember that the first Kindle introduced in 2007 cost $399??? :eek: And people actually bought them. (Not me; I had to wait on the price drop in 2010 or thereabouts. :D)

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  5. Ken Anderson

I had two of them but I sat on one.

6. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Dang.

7. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

yes I have a kindle paper-white... didn't pay nearly $400 dollars for it .. wow!!...I always wait until the prices come down on new things on the market before I buy anything...

My daughter bought me this one I have now as a Christmas gift a few years back think it cost about £50

8. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I us my iPad. My old kindle quit and I couldn't revive it so it dried up and blew a way.
    What I have been doing is renting books from my library, downloading them and
    reading them on the kindle app. The first book I downloaded, opened and read on
    my iPad but it doesn't work as cwell as reading it on kindle. I wasn't aware I could do
    this until recently. Pretty convenient if you can find something that interest you.

9. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

I have a kindle Fire 7 that I use for reading. And the Kindle app on my ipads,and also on the iPhone, and I like that I can interchange depending n which one I want to use to read with.

Bill Boggs likes this.
  10. David Stanley

David Stanley Well-Known Member
    Registered

Hi, I am new here. I want to buy a kindle but still thinking as someone said that they can't access Text Books (e.g. science, health etc). Is that true please. Thanks, David

Craig Wilson likes this.
  11. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

Any book that is in digital form should be accessible with a Kindle. Many books are free, especially older classic books, and the rest can be purchased form Amazon or another book seller.
    Most libraries also have an online section now, as well; so if you have a library card for your library, you can also check out books that are available as a digital copy.
    Many people also like the spoken books, and there are a lot of books that you can get and then listen to on your Kindle , if you like doing that instead of reading them.

I have found that I can read books on my Kindle or iPad that I can’t read in a regular paper book, because you can adjust the print size. Some of the print books, especially paperbacks, are hard for me to read, even with my reading glasses.

Welcome to the forum, @David Stanley , and feel free to just jump into any of the conversations here, or start new topics. There is a section for introductions at the top of the page, if you would like to write one and tell us a little more about yourself.

12. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

Welcome aboard youngster.

13. Ken Anderson

I've no interest in buying any but I have noticed that there are textbooks for Kindle available, often for rent or for purchase.

14. Craig Wilson

Craig Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

I see you have not used the Introduction section @David Stanley. The other members will want to welcome you here as I have already advised you in personal message service.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2020
  15. Katrina Anderson

Katrina Anderson Well-Known Member
    Registered

Hubby and I both have been using Kindles since they came out. Old ones finally quit, so we replaced them; he with an Oasis, me with a Paperwhite. The greatest invention since sliced bread. (I know, that’s corny)