Amazon Just Delivered My New Kindle Reader

Discussion in 'Reading & Writing' started by Lon Tanner, Mar 3, 2020.

1. Marci Miller

Marci Miller Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I have a Kindle Fire. I hate mine. When I get new one this piece of junk will get heaved into the street.

2. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

Hello David, just saw this comment as I was checking out threads and I'd like to welcome you to our Forum. I do hope you enjoy it and look forward to chatting with you.

3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Sometimes, people get the kindles and older model iPads for their kids to play games and watch learning videos with. If you know of someone with little children who could use something like this and can’t afford to buy a new one, maybe you can rehome your old Kindle when you get your new one, @Marci Pankratz .
    The first Kindles that I had were ones that I bought used on eBay. When I upgraded, I gave my first one to a friend and showed her how to use a kindle.
    She had trouble moving her arm after a fall had injured her shoulder; so reading and holding the lightweight Kindle was a lot easier for her than trying to hold a heavy book, and she loved her Kindle.
    When I got my next newer Kindle, I upgraded Evelyn’s Kindle, and she gave the old one to her grandsons.
    I have done the same thing when I upgraded to a newer iPad, and given them to family members who needed one for themself or for children.

4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Amazon also takes trade-ins.

5. Marci Miller

Marci Miller Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

~*~
    I doubt I could. It's pretty messed up. I tried to get it synced with my laptop and had zero luck and then my email was all messed up and then it made my laptop think I had a security breach and I got locked out of my Microsoft acct. Plus, I had to do a factory reset and get rid of some stuff because I'm running out storage and the SD cards don't seem to help with that. I just use it to get on the browser version of Facebook at work with no email or messenger there. My folks bought me a new tablet for the time I came and took care of mom when she was sick and dad was hospitalized but, I've yet to pick it up. And now who knows? With this virus I don't know if I will or not. It's a great idea though. Thanks anyway.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  6. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

My old Kindle (2017) has been annoying lately; it randomly reboots while I'm reading... sometimes several times in a row. I have tried everything I could think of, resetting it, but nothing has helped. :mad: This has been going on for months and yesterday I noticed Amazon has Kindles on sale so I decided it was time to replace it.

They are on sale for $79. Amazon gave me $15 trade in plus an additional 20% off the new one for the trade, and I had a few bucks left on a gift card so it was "practically free." Works for me! I set the old one back to factory settings, then packed it up to drop at UPS. New one should be here today.

7. Lois Winters

Registered

I find it impossible to read a book on kindle. I have to hold the real McCoy. Yet, it doesn't bother me as a rule to read articles, or research something on my computer. Just as long as it isn't pages and pages in length.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  8. Lois Winters

Registered

For some weird reason, I cannot read a book on Kindle. I simply must have the real McCoy in my hands.

I have no problem reading articles or items researched on screen, however. Go figure.

Good luck with the new Kindle, Beth and enjoy.

9. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

What size of Kindle do you have @Lois Winters ? Amazon makes the kindle Fire in several sizes, the 7”, 8”, and 10 “; plus they have the little paper whites which are maybe a little smaller than the 7” Kindle Fire.
    I found that the 7” one worked the best for me to use to read. The Kindle Fire is heavier than the iPad of the approximate same size, so I am comfortable reading with my iPad Mini, but the 8” Kindle seems heavy enough to be awkward.

When i first started reading on a small tablet, it did take me while to get used to it, but then I really like that it is always lightweight, even if i am reading what would be a large book in paper form, and if I am traveling, then I can take along several books stored on the Kindle app. I also like that I can set the size of the font to work for my eyes, because most of the paper books are just small enough that it makes it hard for me to read comfortably.

10. Ken Anderson

I have all sizes. I use a 7 or an 8-inch Kindle most of the time, to read while a passenger in a car or train, or while in bed, but I use the 10-inch, with a stand, if I am going to read in a restaurant or use as a separate monitor at my desk. I have no problem reading a Kindle but have never gotten used to the navigation on my Paperwhite.

11. Beth Gallagher

Registered

The Kindle I bought is the e-reader, not the Fire tablet. I much prefer the e-reader to any tablet for reading; a tablet screen is always too bright and harsh no matter how I change the settings. I also find a tablet too heavy to hold for long periods, so I prefer the basic 5 oz Kindle.

I wish Amazon would have dropped "Kindle" from the Fire tablet name. It causes too much confusion when discussing the devices.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  12. Ken Anderson

I have a couple of old Kindles, with actual versus virtual buttons, and they still work fine. The others are Kindle Fires, except for the Paperwhite.

13. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Conspiracist here. I think it was rebooting or whatever because they wanted you to upgrade.
    I was having problems with my smart phone and they told me they would send me and exchange for it.
    No exchange came but all of a sudden all of the new stuff I did not want, nor allow, was on my phone.

14. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Maybe, but it was 7 years old so probably past its expiration date. :D It's just an inexpensive e-reader so not a big opportunity for fraud.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  15. Lois Winters

Registered

Yvonne, I simply do not own a Kindle as it is the book I want to hold in my hands. I want to hold one page, while I explore another for one reason or another. Just a quirky thing of mine. I concentrate much better holding a book in my hands.

Sometimes, I'll jump ahead to look for something special and vice versa. I often hold tomes of almost 1,000 pages and it bothers me not.