Amazon Prime... Was There A Price Increase?

Discussion in 'Online Retailers' started by Chrissy Cross, Dec 2, 2015.

1. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I just looked on my online banking and noticed Amazon Prime took their payment out last week...$107!

I don't remember it being that much! Too bad I need it, I just bought 6 things for the grandsons for Christmas yesterday....I'll have to figure out if it's really worth it though. I probably buy and use free shipping for about 20-25 things a year.

I know some places have free shipping if you spend a certain amount but not all.

Too late this year but might reconsider next year.

Krissttina Isobe likes this.
  2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I wasn't aware of an increase but then, I don't always pay much attention to that stuff.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  3. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Thanks! I emailed my daughter and asked her, she probably doesn't pay attention either.

4. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

@Chrissy Page , I just renewed mine in November, and it was $99, same as always.
    I looked it up to see if it had changed, and it doesn't appear that it did. When I checked the price, that is what it still showed.
    Maybe you ordered something that somehow got added on along with the payment and came out at the same time ?
    I am always ordering from Amazon, because there is just so many things that you can get from there and save money .
    Unless you need it right that day, it is always a good thing to check Amazon prices, and they have so many awesome sales besides !
    We got headphones for Bobby that were $100 headphones, and paid around $20 for them, so you can really get some amazing deals when you watch for them.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2015
  5. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

It's 120 dollars in the UK the same as last year, but as they made several mistakes recently, each time I complained, they gave me a months free Prime, so have an extra 6 months to renewal time.

The Amazon delivery service has deteriorated in the UK, mainly due to their recent return to using Royal Mail, which since privatisation offers a very poor service, with delays and packages going missing.

Chrissy Cross and Yvonne Smith like this.
  6. Carlota Clemens

Carlota Clemens Veteran Member
    Registered

Problem I found with Amazon is having them emailing updates every now and then, not just about current or upcoming deals, but also updates about different service areas. The fact is that because of the continuous updates, I tend to give for granted whatever they say without really reading those emails, so when a change of terms or price increase take place, I'm not aware of it at least but until charges are done, finding later that they certainly updated me about such changes, but I missed reading it.

7. Chrissy Cross

Registered

That's how I am also! I have a year now to think about renewing. I can always have my daughter or son but whatever I want on there for me and then send them the money. So I have to take a look if their other services are worth it.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  8. Yvonne Smith

@Chrissy Page , we also share our Amazon account with my son (Michael). that way he can order products and watch movies. Since you can add several credit card accounts and shipping addresses, he just added his information into the account.
    When they want to order, they sign in with my account, and charge it to their own card. It works really well for us, and might work for you as well with your son or daughter, just in reverse.

9. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Thanks Yvonne, I think maybe thats what I'll do next year. This year is already paid.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  10. Yvonne Smith

My daughter, Robin changed over from her Apple TV to a Fire TV, and she said that when she got the Fire TV, it also came with a year of Amazon Prime.
    I have been looking at the possibility of a Fire TV; so now I am watching for a promotion that also includes the free year of Prime along with it. That would actually make the Fire TV basically free; since we have to pay for the renewal each year anyway.
    I have seen that they have some specials on both the Fire TV and the Fire TV Stick; so if I keep watching maybe they will run the one with free Prime again sometime through the holiday while so many people are shopping.

Diane Lane and Chrissy Cross like this.
  11. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

Hi Yvonne,

I am still looking for more info on these plans. Do you have just wifi, or a package? I have wifi being hooked up alone for 44 a month. I don't want to pay for cable, it stinks in my opinion. How much extra does it cost to have Apple TV? I am thinking you have to have wifi AND apple tv, they don't come together right? Then, do you have to pay for programs or do you get some types free like basic etc? Basic channels I mean, or can you only get "pay for" like Netflix? hugs, Denise:)

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  12. Yvonne Smith

@Abby Normal , I have sent you several messages about the Apple TV in the private conversations---------are you getting those ?
    Here is the way Apple TV works.
    You buy it once and then no more costs for it. The older ones sold for about $100, and can be found on eBay MUCH cheaper than that right now. The latest model (generation 4) is around $150+, and has the capability to add more apps to it (such as games) that the earlier versions did not have. it also has a voice-activated remote, and other new features.
    We have a generation 2 that is probably 5 years old, and it still works fine; but no longer gets YouTube due to a program upgrade. So, if you are going to get an older one, get generation 3, which still gets all of the regular channels.

Once you have the Apple TV, it connects to your wifi router, just like a laptop or tablet does. Some of the programs, such as news and weather , are free. Some, like Netflix or HBO+, you need a subscription for. They are adding new programs to it all of the time.
    I sent you a link to a YT video that shows most of the channels; but you can also just look up Apple TV on YT and there are a lot more tutorials there that explain all about how it works.

The Amazon Fire TV is similar, except that they have free movies when you have Amazon Prime. All of the movies and tv shows on Apple TV are pay to watch; but you can get a whole season's worth of the tv shows that you like; so overall, you would still be saving money over having cable television.
    Amazon , Roku, and Google Chromecast all have what are called "sticks"; which is a similar thing; but is a little gadget that you plug right into the tv rather than a small box, like the others are.
    I think that the sticks do not offer as much variety; but they are way cheaper. Amazon Fire Stick is about $39 as opposed to the $100 Fire TV box.
    Unless I find an awesome deal on the Fire TV; we will probably just get one of the sticks instead. We have Amazon Prime anyway; so having the free movies on there would be a bonus for us.
    Feel free to PM me here with any questions you have, and I will do my best to explain what I can.

Diane Lane likes this.
  13. Bonnie Thomas

Bonnie Thomas Veteran Member
    Registered

Not about Amazon Prime, but has anyone else noticed that Free Shipping on Amazon has gone from $35 to $49 now? Must have just happened ... I'm not sure, as I haven't bought anything recently.

I was checking around on their website looking for an electric pencil sharpener today. ... and surprise ..$49 for free shipping! Wasn't it $25 last year at this time?

14. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I'm not understanding "free shipping", Bonnie. If it's free why the price? Is that something Amazon has that you join and for that amount all your shipping is free? If it is, I've not heard of that. I do have Prime but may cancel next year.

15. Bonnie Thomas

Bonnie Thomas Veteran Member
    Registered

You don't have to join, like what Prime is, but you have to buy over a certain dollar amount to not be charged for shipping fees. It was $35 ... now apparently it's $49.

Amazon Prime is separate.