Amazon Rakes It In With Christmas In July

Discussion in 'Online Retailers' started by Hannah Davis, Jul 16, 2015.

1. Hannah Davis

Hannah Davis Veteran Member
    Registered

It would seem that Amazon now has a new annual tradition. Yesterday they had their first ever Amazon Prime day where there offered even more discounts on the items. The end result after all was said and done Amazon sold almost four hundred items every second. That's right every second, not minute. Is it any wonder after the huge success that Amazon plans to make this an annual tradition for every July 15th. Yes, maybe the company hit it big with this, but to be honest I don't envy their processing and shipping departments who now have to fill these orders.

http://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-news/cha-ching-amazon-says-prime-day-will-be-annual-event-n393371

Krissttina Isobe and Diane Lane like this.
  2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I checked it a few times during the day and didn't find a thing that I needed or wanted that was on sale. It seemed like a huge dud to me. It would have been a good time to buy a Kindle, though. I almost bought a Kindle Fire but finally decided that I didn't need a Kindle Fire.

Diane Lane likes this.
  3. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I didn't have much money to play around with anyway, but checked the site to see what kind of deals they were offering. The things I would have been interested in, if I'd had the money to spend, were almost all gone anyway. They made a certain amount of each item available, and by the time I logged on to check, all of the items I looked at were either 100% claimed, or 99% claimed. Apparently that means they did make a lot of sales, but from what I read afterward, many people weren't happy with the selection of qualifying goods.

4. Carlota Clemens

Carlota Clemens Veteran Member
    Registered

I would say that those "prime days" are plain consumerism, nothing that is really worth at all to buy, and nothing of tradition, just rampant take-the-money-and-run strategy to squeeze consumers' pockets several times a year for the same single-celebration.

Did you buy in the Christmas prime day? Well, then be ready to buy in the Christmas-times-is-coming day, Christmas-is-here day, Day-before-Christmas-rebate-price, Only-Christmas-day offer and then, After-Christmas liquidation sale.

I used to hate when Christmas decoration began to pop just a few weeks before Halloween to announce the upcoming Christmas sales, now go figure having Christmas going along with 4th of July parade.... almost, almost.

5. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

I still have to try shopping in Amazon. What we have here is the Lazada that is quick in delivery since it is based locally. From what I know, Amazon is based in the US although I know of some people who purchase items from there. Since I prefer local sites for online shopping, I have several more sites that I regularly visit but they are not big ones like Lazada which has always sale items on their menu. And when I want a good deal, it's always in Lazada.

6. John Donovan

John Donovan Veteran Member
    Registered

Well, that Prime Day sale was really, really disappointing. It was basically a bunch of stuff nobody wanted to buy which were discounted, and people bought them anyways. :p

Sales on decent items were really low. Major disappointment.

7. Helene Lawson

Helene Lawson Veteran Member
    Registered

I have never bought anything off Amazon or Ebay, but I'm sure that they have some good deals out there, I'm not sure about the shipping though.

8. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I am just SO happy with Amazon today ! I always love how well Amazon treats their customers, and today , they really outdid themselves.
    Here is my happy story:
    I have been wanting a lighted makeup mirror for some time now; but they are all just way too expensive for me to get one.
    However, I still browse through the ones on Amazon with much wishful thinking from time to time. This time, I found one of the blemished ones on sale for about $20, which is still a lot of money for me; but at least affordable, and I ordered it.

Today, it arrived, but the box had been crushed on one end. I opened it, hoping that the mirror was not broken. The mirror was well-packed, and looked fine; but when I plugged it in to test it and make sure that everything worked, the lights did not work properly.
    I immediately emailed Amazon customer service and let them know what had happened.
    I explained that I did not know if the mirror was defective from the factory, or had been damaged in shipping. It was only about an hour later that I heard back from them (and this is on a Sunday evening, remember), and she apologized for the damages.
    She said that since it was a blemished one, and they had no more in stock like that one, Amazon could not replace it; but she would refund my money, and to just keep the mirror , or whatever I wanted to do with it.

It may just need a new bulb put in the one that does not work, or even just needs to be tightened up or something simple.
    Bobby (Mr. Fixit) is going to look at it for me.

So.......I guess that we could say that I can now "have my cake and eat it, too", since I have the makeup mirror, and still get my money back.

9. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

:oops:Although I'm not amazon prime I do enjoy their sales any time. Free shipping when you order $35 and up like walmart.com it's great! Living in Hawaii we get slapped with extra shipping charges all the time. I like amazon cyber Monday's too! Love sales & discounts from everywhere!!!!!