Amazon Top 100 Free Books

Discussion in 'Reading & Writing' started by Yvonne Smith, Jan 20, 2017.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I have known that Amazon puts different books online for free at the Kindle Store, and the books listed changes all the time. It might not change all of them every day, but at least some of them change each day.
    But, here is what I didn't know until this morning. Amazon also has a list of the top 100 free books that you can look through.
    You can also narrow the selection down by choosing the catagory that you want to see book about. As an example, mystery fiction, or maybe non-fiction like cook books or healthy living. Whatever catagory you choose, you still get to see the top 100 free books in that catagory.
    This is an awesome way to get free books, not only for casual reading enjoyment; but also to learn about things that interest you.
    These are not just books you are borrowing, they actually become part of your Kindle library, and can be lended to your friends. You do not have to have an actual Kindle to use this feature, so any computer or tablet or phone that you can have the Kindle Reading app on will work for this .

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I have never specifically looked for free books but often I find that the books that I have decided I wanted to read are free.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  3. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

That just happened to me yesterday....a biography I wanted was free.

4. Augusta Heathbourne

Augusta Heathbourne Veteran Member
    Registered

What Amazon also offers is a free sample of any Kindle book they have on offer, so that you can see if you like the author's style or if it suits you otherwise. I have almost become an addict of these 10-30 page samples, of everything from military tactics and crime novels to 19th century women's travel memoirs. Sometimes just the sample is enough of an insight into a new topic and sometimes I end up buying the book. I have made some wonderful discoveries that way.

5. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes, I get a sample occasionally...mainly if I'm paying more than $1.99 for a book.

6. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

I have done that, too, when I am not sure if the book is going to be worth the price it is being sold for. Sometimes, just being able to see the contents list of the chapters will help me to know if it covers What I am interested in reading about.
    When I am just browsing through the free books liking for a novel to read, then I just read the little blurb that tells what the story is about, and do not bother with the sample of the book; but if I am looking for specific information about something, then I do like to learn more about what is in the book.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  7. Augusta Heathbourne

Augusta Heathbourne Veteran Member
    Registered

Thanks to your post I have availed myself of 17 new free kindle history books in the last few hours! Thanks for the idea!

Patsy Faye and Yvonne Smith like this.