An English Courtisan, Pamela Digby

Discussion in 'History & Geography' started by Tom Galty, May 28, 2019.

1. Tom Galty

Tom Galty Veteran Member
    Registered

Last edited: May 28, 2019
  2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I usually agree with you, Tom. But on this, not so much.

3. Tom Galty

Tom Galty Veteran Member
    Registered

fair enough.

But a quote from the Link.

Pamela inherited his entire $115 million fortunate at his death, and used the money to position herself as power-broker in Washington. For the first time in her life, she didn’t need a powerful man on her arm, she was the power. She immersed herself in foreign policy issues, making speeches around the country, reveling in the publicity that named her one of the foremost hostesses in DC. She worked hard for Bill Clinton’s election as President and was reward with

Don Alaska likes this.
  4. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Honestly, I've never heard of her. And being a "hostess in DC" doesn't usually sway national elections.

5. Tom Galty

Tom Galty Veteran Member
    Registered

She was Winston Churchill Daughter in law and became the Mistress of the American Ambassador in London in 1940 to spy on him, then later married him

Pamela Harriman died on 5 February 1997[12] at the American Hospital, Neuilly-sur-Seine, after suffering a cerebral haemorrhage while swimming at the Paris Ritz one day earlier. The morning after her death, President Jacques Chirac of France placed the Grand Cross of the Légion d'honneur on her flag-draped coffin. She was the first female foreign diplomat to receive this honour.[13] President Clinton, in further recognition of her contributions and significance, dispatched Air Force One to return her body to the United States and spoke movingly at her funeral at the Washington National Cathedral in Washington, D.C., mentioning her public service in glowing terms.[4]

Last edited: May 28, 2019
  6. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Interesting for sure, but I'll stick to my opinion that she did not "get Clinton elected."