An Update On Life

Discussion in 'Tall Tales & Fabrications' started by Bill Boggs, Jul 1, 2017.

1. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

An Update On Life

July 1, 2017

Since all lives are different and I’m not privy to the ends and outs of all your lives, this is about mine. I’m an old retired guy with a good wife and what has been a good life since retirement. Before that it was hit and miss. I retired with a lung disease, emphysema. COPD is the current term in use, an umbrella name to cover two or more diseases of the lungs. I also have heart disease but then I suppose everyone has something as we age.

I find most everything physical is harder to do and takes help of some kind. I am slowly deteriorating but compensate when I can. I play harmonica to exercise my lungs, and strengthen my diaphragm, and hopefully blow out these lungs a bit, getting rid of some bad air and hopefully allowing a bit more oxygen into my lung from time to time. Some days I play the harmonica well. Other times I don’t sound so good.

I have recently become interested in the wooden flute, a Native American type flute that does not make the sounds of western music but under my control a series of grunts and groans, squeaks, and what have you. However, like the old violin, under the control of a master hand, can be made to sound melodic and soothing, peaceful and enchanting.

I'm merely going to try to get rid of some of my squeaks and bring a peaceful sound as I engage my damaged lungs with a new device. However, for some of us this is more difficult than it might seem. Old souls like mine come slowly to something new. I thought I could go to some flute shop, pick out a good looking stick with holes and a mouthpiece, lean back in my comfy chair out in the shade of my patio and bring forth music so sweet sounding surely the angels might pause to listen.

Not so, it ain’t going to happen, kid. First off you don’t pick out a flute, pay your money, and go on your merry way. You have to listen to all these various pitch-squeaks, find out what tree these sticks come off of, do I want hard wood or a softer piece. A high pitch or a lower key. I thought I was worldly and wise because I play a harmonica. Only thing playing a harmonica does for you is qualify you to be confused.

For example, why is F# the highest pitch on a harmonica and G the lowest when both are low keyed flutes. Next you encounter something like, “Will your fingers reach the holes?” Why, of course they will.

Maybe not. After listening to a half dozen flutes played by a master craftsman in the woodworking trade, and listening to what forest in the world they represented, I found the holes too close together for both me hands. Now your two hands of fingers cover six holes. I picked out a beautiful flute in the key of C Major (nice to accompany a piano) but the holes were too close together. Too, my arthritic finger grows seven-eights of an inch in the wrong direction. Nor does it want to cover any hole but when forced will cover the hole but when raised to allow that hole to contribute, it simply will not go back to the right place and hole It moves in the other direction. A minor problem.

I am becoming a bit frustrated and while this flute manufacturer is gracious and most helpful, I expect if he were not trying to make a living he’d like to give me the boot and tell me to get lost. I have tried out three flutes ad still can’t find a flute I’m happy with. He has invited me back out tomorrow afternoon to try and find solutions to my minor problems. He and his his good wife who is a partner in this business have some ideas that may work for an old man with arthritic hands and send him home, happy with the flute he has selected.

Tomorrow is make it or break it day as far as I am concerned. I’ll either come home with another beautiful flute or not. The decision made tomorrow will be final and I’m sure the angels are waiting in anticipation.

2. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

Good luck and hope for the best

Bill Boggs and Yvonne Smith like this.
  3. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Such a lovely positive Post @Bill Boggs . I hope you master that flute, and it brings you joy and better health too.... good luck.

My daughter plays all wind instruments ...she started very young with a recorder and then a Bass recorder which was as big as she was lol and then onto Sax, and ultimately she became a Bass guitarist .... you'll do it... you'll find the strength somehow, I'm sure of it..

4. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Bill, I get the sense that you are working on a relationship with your flute. Give it as much time as is required, and let it happen. You will not regret it. Good luck!;)
    [​IMG]

5. Bill Boggs

Registered

I think it's curious how some are gifted or have an appitude for music or math or whatever and others are lost in that domain. And not all of us are good at anything. Congrats to you on such a talented daughter.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
  6. Bill Boggs

Registered

7. Bill Boggs

Registered

Thanks, Joe. Going to give it a try. If I Can finger it, I'll make it pleasurable and I think it's important to pamper my lungs.

8. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Hope you find the perfect flute, such a pity we didn't master these things when we were more able to
    :)

Bill Boggs likes this.
  9. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

Hi @Bill Boggs , you'll get there. As you've pointed out to me, most beautiful things take time to develop. But if you don't take the time to set things up correctly, (you trips to find just the right flute), then the end product can't reach it's potential.

I've learned many quiet lessons from you, @Joe Riley, and @Yvonne Smith . From you I've learned persistence, and Joe reminds me take things with a slower stride. From Yvonne I learned to look closely into the middle of everything, and not to just see the beginning and end product of whatever I'm trying to fully comprehend.

So my friend, take courage, I noticed that through hard times your basic reaction is to wail and rail at whatever, then you put it down and trod your way past, around, or through it.

So don't stop now. Trod on Bill, you'll do it. :)

10. Bill Boggs

Registered

Ok, I've got the rascal. Looks like a broom handle with holes drilled in it. So with this acquisition, that's all from me about flutes, except to say, it sure do make this harmonica sound good...That's all folks. Hasta la vista.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
  11. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

I wish you every success in mastering the flute @Bill Boggs , I admire your persistence despite your health problems.......:) I also envy you because sadly I have no musical talent at all, apart from from appreciating it a lot :(