Ankylosing Spondylitis

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Ina I. Wonder, Apr 4, 2017.

1. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

Did you know there are over a hundred different kinds of arthritis? I was first diagnosed with five kinds when I was twenty-five years old. (forty years ago :eek:) Before last week, I thought having five different kinds was a lot.

For the last few months my arthritis conditions have gotten much worse, and so my doctor sent me to the arthritis foundation here in the Houston medical center. I thought having a Degenerative Disc Disease was going to be the worst of it. But it seems that isn't so.

My tests show that I now have eight kinds of arthritis, with four being severe. The worst one's are:
    1. Osteoporosis Arthritis
    2. Inflammatory Arthritis
    3.Rhuematiod Arthritis
    4. Ankylosing Spondylitis

The first three I knew about, but I had never heard of number four before. Although when my doctor brought it up on his office computer, and he showed me a few pictures of this condition it hit home. My grandmother, mother, and sister ending up looking just like what I was seeing on that screen.

Well the last three weeks I've been stuck in my wheelchair trying not to get too discouraged. My doctor gave me prescriptions for Mobic, Hydrocodone, and Soma, to be taken as needed.

Do any of you have, or know someone with Ankylosing Spondylitis? I'd be grateful for any hints that might help me deal with this condition in a way that doesn't involve taking Hydrocodone or Soma.

Joe Riley likes this.
  2. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

OH @Ina I. Wonder , what sufferings you have, you are so strong to be able to cope with this agonizing pain. Having RA myself and also there's a potential for a diagnosis for OsteoArthritis for me on Thursday when I see the consultant, I can feel some of your pain...but my dear friend...you're suffering so much and so young too. I'm sorry I can't answer any of your questions about the Ankylosing spondylitis but I'm sure there's plenty of info online and on youtube... as well...(((hugs)))...

3. Ina I. Wonder

Registered

Thank you @Holly Saunders , I hadn't thought of looking on YouTube, but I'll be checking that out today. I am thinking that now might be time to look into a form of meditation that I can do easily by myself.

When I was nine I broke my back, and I spent a year in our Shiners Hospital. When the feeling came back in my legs I was put on a more aggressive routine of physical therapy, but this caused a lot of pain. At that time I was put into a group of kids that were being taught a form of meditation that we did all together. We concentrated on seeing things we really wanted to do when we got out.

But now I need a simple form of meditation that I can do by myself. I've tried concentrating on books, music, even my navel. (Ha Ha) When I mentioned meditation to my doctor, he said if it worked for me to go ahead, but he wasn't a great believer in it. But I think it's worth a try. So if you know of something simple I can start with I'm all ears. Literally!!!

Holly Saunders and Joe Riley like this.
  4. Holly Saunders

Registered

Here you are Ina..

5. Ina I. Wonder

Registered

I watched all three videos, and they seem very encouraging. I know it will take some time, but it's got to be better than this last year has been, and ignoring the pain isn't getting me anywhere anymore. The diet isn't too far from what I eat now, so that's won't be too difficult to follow. I guess I'll be seeing if it will help when the condition is advanced. Two of my spinal discs have already started to fuse together.

So I promise not to let my grumpiness get me into the dumps too much, and if any of you know of a desert :rolleyes: I can eat once in a while, I'd be ever so grateful. :D

6. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Ina, I am sorry to read of your pain. I hope you find some relief from a change of diet. You remain an inspiration to me! Bless you.

7. Holly Saunders

Registered

Here's some more info for you @Ina I. Wonder , my daughter has just sent this to me, to help me manage my pain and at first glance it looks like it may be really useful, so I thought of you immediately..

http://www.spine-health.com/blog/sciatica

There's a whole list of stuff to read about a whole load of skeletal conditions

Ina I. Wonder and Yvonne Smith like this.
  8. Ina I. Wonder

Registered

Thank you kind lady. I do appreciate your helping me with this. Sometimes pain makes it hard to think clearly, and I don't think of things I normally would or should. :oops:

Patsy Faye and Holly Saunders like this.
  9. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

10. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I found this information for a study on arthritis today. If you qualify, they give you medicine and doctor's care, and maybe even compensation for being part of the study.
    I filled out the information, but I am not what they are looking for, however, I thought that it might help someone else here on the forum because there are quite a few of us who have some kind of arthritis pain, and since @Ina I. Wonder started this topic specifically about arthritis and the different types , I thought this might be a good place to put the link in case anyone else wants to fill out the information and see if you qualify for what they need for the study.

http://www.studiesforyourarthritis.com/?pn

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  11. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

They seem to be focusing on knee and hip pain...am I right @Yvonne Smith?

12. Yvonne Smith

I am not sure. they asked a bunch of questions about all kinds of arthritis and pain in hands, feet, wrist, and back, as well as in joints. They didn't say why I didn't qualify, so I am not sure what exactly they are looking for; but I was hoping that maybe someone else might qualify. It said some were compensated up to $1,000 , so if a person fits the right study, you could get all of the meds free, doctor exams, plus get paid.
    When I was part of the a-fib study, we just got about $10 per visit, mainly to cover fuel costs; but all of the blood tests were covered plus the heart meds.
    I think that it is worth at least filling out the form if a person is interested in the study.

13. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Thanks...maybe I'll fill out the form just to see if I qualify with my back. If someone does qualify, it doesn't mean you have to do it I hope.

Before I even bother, is the trail done near you?

14. Yvonne Smith

I don't know how this study is being conducted; but when I was part of the a-fib (blood thinner) study, they had people from all over that participated, and we all went to our local hospital and doctors. I had been taking Coumadin and saw an announcement at the clinic for the study, and I signed up.
    Since it was a blind study, no one was told whether we were taking Coumadin or Apixiban (Eloquis) until after the study was over. They did all of the blood tests to make sure it was not causing damage to my liver or kidneys, and any other tests they needed for the trial study.
    I think they also had people from other countries that were in the study, and I imagine that this would be conducted in about the same way. Since you live in a large city, there should be doctors or clinics there that you would go to for any needed tests and medication.
    Good luck with the application, and let us know how it goes for you, @Chrissy Cross . Once you finish the online questionnaire, you will know immediately if you qualify or not.

15. Chrissy Cross

Registered

How long does it take..just so I know when to do it?

Edit: took it and I don't qualify either.

Last edited: May 2, 2017