Another Rant

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Bill Boggs, Feb 25, 2018.

1. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I have a 2000 Volkswagen Beatle that giving me fits. My battery drains every four days sitting in the driveway. I can start it every two or three days and it is never a problem but on the fifth day I can never start it. The battery is drained. Something is draining my battery or the battery is not holding a charge. Don’t remember but the battery is only a year, maybe two years old. I turned off the interior light. I've checked everything I know to check. Getting to be a hassle getting it jumped. I’m trying to sell it but I really don’t want to sell a problem. The vehicle runs great. Whoever buys this car, I want them to be proud they did. I’m just frustrated I can’t find the problem. This is not to be considered earth shaking, I’m just sounding off. But, if @Fank Sanoica or any machanically gifted person has any ideas, I would, what can I say, be grateful. Otherwise consider this to be what it really is, another rant.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
  2. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

3. Harry Havens

Harry Havens Veteran Member
    Registered

It could be any number of things, but I would look for corrosion around the terminals, cable ends etc. You may not be leaking current, but not getting the charge current needed, for lack of better terminology. I would also take the vehicle to a parts store and ask them to test the battery. It may already have a weak cell or several weak cells.

Bill Boggs likes this.
  4. Steve North

Steve North Supreme Member
    Registered

Years ago I had the same problem..
    To make a long story short, it was the light in my glove box that didn't go out when the glove box door was closed.. The light stayed on...

Bill Boggs likes this.
  5. Bill Boggs

Registered

Thanks, Steve.

6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I can't help you but I know how you feel. I had a Chevrolet S-10 that started doing that to me. I bought a new battery, yet it would die, sometimes overnight sitting in the driveway. Usually, it would last a couple of days. I brought it into auto shops. They replaced some stuff, I don't remember what now, but none of it helped. Finally, I sold it. It was a nice truck before that, though.

Bill Boggs likes this.
  7. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

That's a common problem with Veedubs...we've had several and still have one..

Bill Boggs likes this.
  8. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

Our 2002 Explorer is doing the same thing. It's been in the auto shop for two weeks and they haven't found the problem yet.

Bill Boggs likes this.
  9. Bill Boggs

Registered

I like your comment but not the fact you're having the same problem. It can be most frustrating.