Any Of You Boys Shoot Muzzleloaders?

Discussion in 'Guns & Weapons' started by Faye Fox, Oct 17, 2019.

1. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

My favorite was my homemade .54 Hawken style, Green River barrel 1:66 twist, Cherry Corners lock, Bob Roller double set triggers. Here it is early 70's by the log cabin I was building. My workwomanship was not as good as professional gunsmiths, but it was very accurate with a round ball and 90 grs Pyrodex load.
    New Image.jpg

'

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  2. Faye Fox

Registered

I made it myself early 1970's
    I sold it in the 1990's
    It was a fun winter project
    when I was living in the mountains
    Keep your powder dry,
    Faye
    157296437996904298 (1).jpg

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
  3. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Veteran Member
    Registered

@Faye Fox 1:66 rifling?? That's akin to one turn within the barrel, even less. .223-5.56 military runs from 7 to about 11. The "tighter" the rifling (more spin) the more energy is lost overcoming inertia to spin the bullet. Bullets typically may spin at over 100,000 revolutions per minute. Some jacketed bullets, unable to contain the centrifugal force, disintegrate in flight. Not good!

Never used Pyrodex, though some say it's equivalence to Black Powder is exact. Only black powder weapon I ever shot was my 3" bore Civil War cannon, now long gone.
    Frank

Faye Fox likes this.
  4. Faye Fox

Registered

@Frank Sanoica The 1:66 twist is for a patched round soft lead ball. The barrel length was 34." I made it to the original Hawken .54 cal best I could. I had a friend that built muzzleloaders and cannons and like yourself a master machinist and also hobby blacksmith. He gave me the pattern and specs. and guided me through the process. Seating the breach perfectly was quite a process, but necessary for a safe gun. The Bob Rollers double set triggers were all machined, not cast like most. I later bought a lock from Roller and it was also machined from solid stock and a real beauty as were his triggers. I liked Pyrodex because it didn't corrode and foul up the barrel like black powder. Looking in the barrel it was a half turn for the 34" length just right to stabilize a round ball. A bullet would wobble wildly at this twist. It was very accurate. One of our shooting places had a 2 foot 1/2" thick steel round disc hanging with a small cable from a branch. It was adjusted so if you aimed at the branch it would hit the disc hanging below at 250 yards out. I used 120 grains powder and could hit it every time. With that load the ball was moving 1500 FPS so at 750 feet there was a half second delay from muzzle blast to clanger target ringing. It was such fun!

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
  5. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Veteran Member
    Registered

Wow, Faye, it's been a long time since I've heard "boys" referring to men or guys. That's an old spaghetti Western term.

Faye Fox likes this.
  6. Faye Fox

Registered

Well, this rifle was built early 70's and I have always lived in the West (a few years in Texas) so I am an old western girl or gal, and I have been known to wear tops with spaghetti straps and enjoy Italian food, so that works for me. So have you or your wife ever shot a muzzleloader? When you move to Wyoming maybe go to one of their buckskin rendezvous. Imagine yourself dressed in heavy smoked buckskin shirt and pants and your wife in a light buckskin dress! I bet she could out shoot you with a muzzleloader. Probably throw the hawk better also. As a lover of western dress, you two need to go back in time and attend one of these awesome events. I think this one was in Green River, Wy. about 2013.
    th4RLE6HLM.jpg thJBAKPM1D.jpg

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
    Frank Sanoica and Nancy Hart like this.