Any Star People Here

Discussion in 'Movies & Entertainment' started by Pat Baker, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

Star Trek type movies and Transformers are movies that I think I will never outgrow. I love the graphics in the movies for one and the ideas that they show in movies are things that we will see sometime in the future. The tablet that we are all using today was seen in the orginial Star Trek, the crew had their instructions on the tablet, we accepted that it was part of the story now we have them and use them every day.

Transformers, I just love the graphics in the movie. I will look at animated movies more than movies with real people most of the time.

Peter Remington likes this.
  2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I really enjoyed watching Star Trek years ago when the original series was on. I have watched some of the newer ones; but for me they are just not the same as watching Captain Kirk, Mr. Spock, and Scotty.
    I have no idea what transformers even is. I have heard of it; but thought it was some kind of a kid's cartoon, so I have never even checked it out to see what it was really about.
    I also loved Star Wars, and we all went to see that when it first came out. All of the amazing creatures that were in that movie were one of the best part of the movie for me; but it also was a great storyline.
    Avatar is also a unique movie, and the colors of the landscape are just fabulous, and make it almosst like some exotic fairyland.

3. Ruth Belena

Ruth Belena Veteran Member
    Registered

Like Yvonne I watched the original TV version and have fond memories of Spock, Kirk, Scotty and Uhuru. I did watch some of the later ones, but they did not grab me as much as the first version.

There was another space adventure about life on a moon base. It was called Space 1999. I can only remember the female lead in the show and the 'futuristic' costumes.

I remember going to see 2001 a Space Odyssy for the first time. I can even remember the very first Doctor Who which had its 50th anniversary last year.

4. Jorge Ruiz

Jorge Ruiz Veteran Member
    Registered

Star Trek addict here. Pity it can't be seen on the Internet for free.... on the other hand, that must say something about the original series.... just add an image of Kirk in a ring with Spock with strange weapons and you can hear the music....

da da DA DA DA DA DA da da da DA!

Only liked the first few movies, especially Nemoy's tribute to the whales. Really miss the original series.

peace,
    revel.

5. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

One of my very most favorite movies was "Starman" with Jeff Bridges. I am sure that most of us have seen it, but if you missed it somehow, this is a wonderful movie, and I am including the trailer for it.
    Of course, we have Batteries Not Included, which has to have some of the cutest "aliens" ever, and also Cocoon, which is another old movie, but one that never loses its charm.
    A newer one that I really enjoyed was WALL-E, about the little robot in space.
    I am sure that there are more, I just don't remember the names of all of them.

Peter Remington and Bobby Cole like this.
  6. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

It is now time for my friend, Peter Remington to step in. With his utube flick over in "hobbies" and his love for Spock and gang, this thread is a gimme for him.

Star man was indeed a great movie, but I still have to vote for "K-Pax." (I'm not sure if it might be "the man from" or not) It starred Kevin Spacey (suitable name) who claimed to be from the planet K-Pax. He was in a mental institution and had convinced most of the other patients who he said he was, The movie was a huge juggling act in that sometimes I believed he was really an alien and then sometimes not. The end left myself and others wondering what the truth was. It was a kind of, Alfred Hitchcock type of ending as it were.

Yvonne Smith and Peter Remington like this.
  7. Peter Remington

Peter Remington Veteran Member
    Registered

Hi all. Yes, I was 11 years old, sitting cross-legged in front of my parent's black and white Magnavox console TV, in the book lined family room, when the very first Star Trek episode was premiered way back in September of '66. In the nearly fifty years since that time I have never wavered from my fanatic devotion to each of the succeeding series (some are better than others) and most of the movies (some of the more recent ones are truly unwatchable). In fact, my online user name is truespock, which I was, sadly, unable to use here. (I DID try to use True Spock but they nailed me for it right away.) Here is an essay I did years ago for a Star Trek website:

Why I Like Spock

Spock-the legend, the icon, you say. But why? What's the appeal? How has this largely unprepossessing character--originally intended as an undefined background oddity, who very nearly didn't survive the first pilot episode, and who inherited his ultimate personality from another character who was 'axed' because she was a woman in authority (Yech!)--managed to overshadow even the charismatic, larger-than-life, some might even inexplicably say 'sexy' Captain Kirk in the minds and hearts of so many die-hard Star Trek fans? As you might well expect, I have a theory.

On the one hand, Spock is deeply flawed, constantly 'handicapped' by his cultural need to suppress his emotions. It's no coincidence that these are the self-same emotions with which WE have struggled all of our lives; you know the ones that confuse us, make us miserable, get us into trouble. Being who we are, we anxiously watch for him to fail in his endeavor, so that we can sub-consciously feel a little better about our own shortcomings. When he DOES 'stumble', showing the ghost of a smile, or a twinkle in the eye, or making an enthusiastic outburst upon seeing a crewmate alive who was thought to be lost, our own humanity is somehow vindicated.

On the other hand, he routinely succeeds in his struggle to find himself--not only surviving, but THRIVING--and this also feels like a 'win' for us. Despite his inherent 'strangeness', a ubiquitous starting point for every human psyche, he has earned the respect and admiration of his peers. He has broken out of the mold of 'just another weird guy' to become the go to hero of his associates--something we all secretly aspire to, whether or not we've dared to admit it to ourselves. Best of all, he forces those around him to accept him ON HIS TERMS, sacrificing nothing of himself in the dubious process of 'blending in'. What a guy!

But that's all just surface stuff, serving only to lure us in. As we watch Spock for our ego justification fix, a strange and subtle sub-conscious interaction begins between ourselves and the character. His attributes are (however unconsciously) seemingly designed to provoke certain responses in us, thus--optimally--leading to a little 'incidental' personal growth of our own.

Spock is BRILLIANT. When we are confronted with an intellect of this magnitude in 'real life', the natural human response is to be intimidated and resentful, compelled to 'try and knock this blowhard down a peg or two'. Simple genetically encoded 'fight or flight'. It aint goin' away anytime soon. Learn to live with it. But this misperceived threat is largely nullified by a fictional character, confined to our T.V. monitor screens. We begin to see vast knowledge as a potentially good thing, a problem solving tool as well as a source of personal peace. We begin to want to know what he knows. We start to OPEN UP to the possibility of THINKING through our own daily personal struggles. Before we know it, our lives get better and we may not even realize why.

Spock is MYSTERIOUS. Again, we humans most typically despise and disparage anyone around us who isn't EXACTLY LIKE US, but we're apparently more willing to take it from a guy who isn't real in the first place. We want to draw him out, to plumb his depths, to encourage him to be, and to express himself in the fullest possible measure. We are treating Spock as we each inwardly wish we were treated. Even a dim, beginning awareness of this newfound insight might--ideally-- take us to the next plateau.

Spock is TOLERANT and OPEN-MINDED. Aren't you really and truly just BITTERLY bored with the myriad ludicrous ways in which we artificially separate ourselves from one and other? Black or white, Republican or Democrat, straight or gay, male or female, rich or poor, religious or not...and on and on and on, ad nauseum? Don't you just love a guy who simply can't be bothered with all that fake B.S.; who recognizes the most basic necessity of respecting all life, regardless of--or, perhaps, BECAUSE of--all of our little differences? Don't you find it deliciously ironic that the 'non-human' character on Star Trek can show us more about the best of humanity than any of the other characters?

Spock is EMOTIONAL. Yeah, I said it. At his core, he's just like us...only better at it! Sure, he shows us that a little control can go a long way, but more importantly, he makes it alright for us to go ahead and feel. He HAS emotions, but he's NOT a helpless, hapless prisoner of them! As many of you know, I've spent my lifetime repeatedly asking myself the question, "What would Spock do in a situation like this?", and I have to tell you, I've had a very satisfactory life because of it. And, yes, I believe that I am a significantly better person than I might have been without his kindly influence.

Is Spock 'hot', or 'cute', or 'sexy'? I really have no earthly idea about that, I can assure you. But is he the number one, all-time popular fiction 'poster boy' for intellectual freedom, positively directed emotional expression, fair and equal regard for all life, and personal honesty, decency, loyalty and capability? Is it, in fact, too much to say that a role model like Spock could actually be mass-patterned into the very hope of humanity?

Seems logical enough to me.

Also, check out my toy collection video in the hobbies section if you haven't seen it yet.

Yvonne Smith and Ken Anderson like this.