Any Thoughts On Afterlife?

Discussion in 'Conspiracies & Paranormal' started by Susan Paynter, Jan 31, 2021.

1. Susan Paynter

Susan Paynter Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

The afterlife is an existence in which, the essential part of an individual's identity or their stream of consciousness continues to live after the death of their physical body.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2021
  2. James Hintze

James Hintze Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Beethoven and Shakespeare both live on every time we listen to his music or read/watch his plays. You and I are not a Shakespeare or a Beethoven, but we will be there. I was absolutely thrilled when some of my university students found and contacted me after 50 years. I like to think that some of what I passed on to them will be passed on to their followers.

3. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

Continues to live or have? One would hope so, maybe. For some it might be better for
    it all to end when the brain and heart stop working. Wish we had some assurance one
    way or another but guess that was too much to asked of those long ago scribes just
    trying to make a living, but it is food for thought, and mankind has given it plenty of that.

Beth Gallagher and Susan Paynter like this.
  4. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I think that this is an interesting thread topic, and it is maybe related to the belief in reincarnation, which is where the person lives more than one life over different ages.
    There are some really interesting stories from some people who claim to have remembered having a previous life and can tell about things that a person would never had known , had they not lived as that person.

Bill Boggs and Susan Paynter like this.
  5. Susan Paynter

Registered

Corrected
    Should be live!!

6. Bill Boggs

Registered

Susan Paynter likes this.
  7. Hugh Manely

Hugh Manely Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I always think of heaven when the afterlife is mentioned.
    No one can explain it, but it must be so beautiful and glorious that no words can describe it.

It reminds me of a joke I once heard, and I think it goes something like this:
    Two guys were talking about afterlife, and one says he is saving up his gold for heaven. The other fellow, a Christian, says "Why would you want to take a piece of pavement with you?" (referring to Rev 21:21) which says '......the street of the city was pure gold, transparent as glass'

8. Susan Paynter

Registered

@James Hintze
    I tend to differ with the connotation of your post. Imo it is the philosophy of the characters of Beethoven and Shakespeare that lives on in us. Same with your students. The afterlife effect could be felt in more personal experiences

9. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I find it interesting that so many cultures throughout time have held an afterlife belief in one form of another. It seems that the inability to conceive of our own non-existence is pretty universal.

The Bible is full of those who have had direct contact with God in his various forms yet still doubted, then were certain again, then doubted again. Those examples are in there for a reason. So who am I to have angst over my own uncertainty?

I do like James' example of his legacy continuing on in the guise of the lives he has touch, and the lives they have touched, ad infinitum. I think we all endeavor to be that. He is fortunate enough to have experienced confirmation, but I won't worry if no one circles back to me with "Remember that time you..." Usually our impact is more subtle (but not less substantial) than that.

Lulu Moppet likes this.
  10. Susan Paynter

Registered

I.....the street of the city was pure gold, transparent as glass'[/QUOTE]

Whatever it is paved with though I am sure Heaven could be a blissful experience.

11. Susan Paynter

Registered

@John Brunner

Remember that time you...
    " Usually our impact is more subtle (but not less substantial) than that.

Sometimes it's good to know when alive if we have left behind a legacy. Creates a sense of fulfillment. If not, just be happy with our reminiscences.

John Brunner likes this.
  12. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Of course, none of us can be certain. I'm an agnostic and have spent a lot of time searching for my own personal answers. I suppose deep down I believe in a higher power of some kind, and have the usual "what is the meaning of life" questions. I am unable to embrace Christian (or any other organized religion) beliefs. So I don't believe in heaven or hell, but I wonder if there is anything beyond being snuffed out like a candle.

13. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

I do not believe it.

14. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I agree.

Before it went out of business, I was with a non-profit that did home repairs for folks who could not afford to pay for them. For 7 years I was their treasurer & general marketing/business guy, and worked in over 36 homes in our territory. I met so many nice people who I would not otherwise have crossed paths with (clients and those supporting the organization), and I hope that we made their lives just a little bit easier. I think the larger impact on them was knowing that there are others out there who care.

I had planned on doing that until I was physically incapable, but circumstances caused it to dissolve. It was a tangible manifestation of what I've known most of my life: sometimes it is easier for us to help remove hurdles in each other's lives than it is to remove our own.

Regarding directly answering your question about belief in The Afterlife: I have a spiritual/hopeful side and a pragmatic side that shall be in perpetual conflict until my last breath.

15. Bill Boggs

Registered

I have touched a number of lives and that connection was not always good. The stuff of regrets.
    In fact, nothing about my relationships would I want to repeat. If only one could amend. A bad
    child, a bad parent, not a good provider. I woudn't want want streets of gold. A little cabin maybe,
    way off from the city, near a stream of running water. But where have all those souls gone, coming
    down from Adam and Eve? Think of the billions all crowded into one city. No, that doesn't make
    sense. Only incaranation can handle a multitude so vast. Make overs, hand me down souls, all part
    of one, one apart of all. Today we chop it all down to this: "We're all cousins."

But what about it, Cuz? Is total existence snuffed out like that candle? Does it all end at the grave?
    And no one has come back and yelled, "Guess what I just found out?" Either way my legacy will not
    be one to be proud of nor will it long last. We, whatever we have been to whomever will soon pass
    and we will be forgotten here on this planet, having left this plain and marched into history and soon
    forgotten. Posably the best that can be said of living is, "For now we see through a glass, darkly,
    but then face to face, now I know in part; but then shall I know even also as I am known." And hope
    it is so.

I don't know beans about anything but I remain hopeful about the by and by.