Anyone Ever Read The Drug Monographs?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Faye Fox, Oct 10, 2019.

1. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Seriously, read those threats, then asked yourself is the reason I am taking this drug worth all these possible side effects. You get one for chronic nerve pain. First thing you read is this drug may cause you to have thoughts of suicide. So that is how it works. You don't have pain after suicide. The one for arthritis may cause bursitis. The one for diarrhea may cause pyorrhea. The one for epilepsy may cause narcolepsy. What are these monograph writers, failed poets? You get one for vertigo and it may make you dizzy. Who was the one that only noticed dizziness during vertigo after taking this drug? You get one for a skin rash and it says if red blisters appear, discontinue and visit your doctor. Really, where the hell do these writers think I just came from?

Well, the best one I have read was my friends drug monograph for chronic diarrhea medication. Warning, this medication may cause anal seep!

Well, that really puts a diaper on the situation, no no, I mean DAMPER!

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
  2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Yeah, I love it when the 9-page computer print out is stapled to the bag when I pick up my MIL's pain Rx.

Also love hearing "possible side effects" of drugs when we're sitting down to dinner. I think drug companies shouldn't be allowed to advertise.

3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I love the ones for drugs whose therapeutic effects are to treat rather insignificant problems or annoyances, yet the possible side effects include cancer or sudden death. Okay, I have a pimple. Do I wait a couple of days for it to go away, do I try some less potentially dangerous treatment, or do I take this drug that might give me cancer or kill me instantly? I think these things are written with the knowledge that most people will never read them. Then, in the event that sudden death occurs, they can say, "Don't complain to us. We told you that this might happen."

4. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

@Ken Anderson Yes, it is all to relieve them of possible legal action. They put it all on your doctor for prescribing it in the first place. Doctors now have to be lawyers also. I started reading monographs years ago as it was great material for a stand-up comedy acts.

Marie Mallery and Bess Barber like this.
  5. Joy Martin

Joy Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

I got wise in the 80's when a drug put me in the ER....I believe we can do our healing and managing issues with just about any alternative for every drug sold by pharma.

Just use Dr. Google and research your issue and alternative for healing.

6. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Three or four years ago there was an ad on TV about (of all things) yeast infections.
    Of course it started out with two ladies talking about their episodes and one said she got rid of it in 7 to 10 days and the other smiled and said it only took two days by using whatever the heck it was. I think the ladies were shopping at the grocery store whilst talking about their infections which, is weird anyway.

Okay, the first question that comes to mind is “why does the 2 day cure come in 100 capsule containers?

The second question goes along with the OP. The 7 to 10 day cure is seemingly harmless and does the job whilst the 2 day cure might have a few repercussions such as: heart attack, insomnia, head aches, diarrhea, liver damage, stroke and I think a couple more things but who’s counting the after effects after the first few anyway?
    The question? Why on earth would anyone but a person with a death wish and a heavy need to have sex use the 2 day cure if the 7 day thing is nearly risk free?

Frank Sanoica and Bess Barber like this.
  7. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

I agree. I'm not anti doctor or medication if a person needs it, but I think we are sometimes too quick to think a prescription is the only answer. The doctor was adamant that I needed insulin. I immediately changed my diet radically and my blood sugar has been completely stable. I'm not saying insulin isn't a good option, but BEFORE going there, maybe we should also give some old fashioned will power a try. Prescriptions should be a last resort, not the only option we consider.

Faye Fox likes this.
  8. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Yes! I try to tell seniors before taking blood pressure meds, start exercising and eating better. Add some fish oil or flaxseed. Walk 3 miles a day. Do something before popping all those pills. If you smoke, stop. Smoking restricts blood vessels all over the body...... OK I am going to shut up now and stop my nagging.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  9. Joy Martin

Registered

It's not nagging and I've been taking a BP med for close to 20 yrs and I was stilll exercising at the gym and walking a lot in my early 60's, and then knee and OA got worse and now at 81 I'm happy to be stretching, went thru a lot of stuff in the last 20 yrs with OA.

Just got an email from my daughter that said BP meds are known said to contain a carcinogenic. Ummmm.

Maybe someone wants to read this on the BP meds and cancers.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/us-pir...lood-pressure-medication/?ftag=CNM-00-10aac3a

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
    Faye Fox likes this.
  10. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

They may and how ones body reacts is an unknown. Sometimes we can do everything right and still need meds. I advocate once you reach a healthy state, try going without meds and add them in one at a time. Sometimes things like genetics play a role and nothing we can do but meds will help. So many doctors just add one med on another and soon new issues develop.

11. Joy Martin

Registered

Oh I probably worked for close to 10 yrs to NOT get on BP meds, but had to succumb and both parents took the "little pill" as long as I can remember. Now that I'm using the HGH gel, my thoughts are thinking the BP could be fine with no meds but won't venture there now.

12. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

13. Joy Martin

Registered

Good, guess I didn't read the link closely, I don't take that one.

14. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Bobby Cole

Because the daily dosage was 50 capsules.
    Frank

Bobby Cole and Faye Fox like this.
  15. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I just rea they have found a tentative link between acetaminophen during pregnancy and ADHD and autism. This could be the key that opens a door to a barrage of lawsuits against the drug companies. If this link can be proven, what would it mean? Acetaminophen (paracetamol outside the U.S.) has been the drug of choice for pain relief in pregnant women, as NSAIDs have been linked to bleeding issues. What do you think?

Krystal Shay and Yvonne Smith like this.