Anyone Have Weekend Plans?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Diane Lane, May 8, 2015.

1. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm still recuperating from last week/weekend's garage sale, so I'm planning to hang out mostly at home, but I might go for a walk on the trails or the beach, if the weather cooperates.

2. Michelle Stevens

Michelle Stevens Veteran Member
    Registered

It's my bonsai club's monthly meeting tomorrow, followed by a workshop on Sunday morning. My favourite weekend of the month!

Richard Paradon and Diane Lane like this.
  3. Diane Lane

Registered

I saw some cute bonsais the other day! Hopefully one of these days, I can get one. Favorite weekends are always good, sounds like a nice social and fun one.

4. Michelle Stevens

Michelle Stevens Veteran Member
    Registered

It's educational and fun all at the same time.

I hope that you get a bonsai of your own soon. Just make sure to find out what species of tree you're buying and what its special requirements are. Some are suited to living indoors while others need to be kept outside with only short visits inside. That confuses a lot of people because bonsai shows are usually held indoors.

Diane Lane likes this.
  5. Diane Lane

Registered

Thanks, I research things forever before I pull the trigger, so it could be a while. I'd prefer indoors, but have to make sure it's also kitty safe. The ones I saw were for indoors. I could keep one outside if I had to, but I tend to forget to water things out there, so it might live longer indoors :).

6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

The downside of being self employed, particularly working from home, is that one day is the same as another. If I don't work every day, I have to make it up on another day, or take a reduction in pay. Thus, I put in at least a few hours even on days like Christmas Day.

Richard Paradon likes this.
  7. Diane Lane

Registered

I understand that, Ken. I still like to think of weekends as 'free time', even though they're not. I've worked all sorts of schedules over the years, but I still try to set aside some time for me. I didn't end up going for my walk yet, but I'm spending some me time on the balcony for now, relaxing with the cats and enjoying the breeze coming off the Gulf. The sun is shining, surprisingly, and it's turning out to be a beautiful day here.

8. Jenn Windey

Jenn Windey Supreme Member
    Registered

Looks like we are going to have a scorcher of a weekend, on Friday we hit 90 degrees, now that would not be a big deal had we not just come out of a prolonged deep freeze. All I know is I had to get to the lawn because it grew at a rate that was just insane.

My boys finally got me the pallets I have been whining about, I want to build our rabbit an outdoor hutch. So no doubt a trip to Home Depot had to happen, I need to get some of the chicken wire tacks. Other then that I plan to stay close to home and enjoy the first nice weekend this year. Early this morning I was up before the sun rose, I had to take a walk into the yard and spent sometime sitting on the porch listening to the birds wake up. I love listening to them sing in the morning. I got to watch a bunny hop right down the middle of the street It is funny here, the traffic on the week days is just so heavy and crazy, yet in the early mornings it is desolate.

@Ken Anderson I can identify with your feelings, but for what it is worth I wish that I had stayed with doing work from home. While it is true you have to keep at it that much more I have always been a bit of a house mouse and would be quite happy not to have to make the commute everyday. To me the tradeoff would be worth it.

Diane Lane likes this.
  9. Diane Lane

Registered

I made my trip to the park/trails, and ran into a local news crew and searchers. There are 2 people missing out on the water, 1 of whom went in locally. I was just advised that alcohol may have been a factor, which explains why someone would jump off a sailboat into Galveston Bay for a swim, in the middle of high and rough water. The searchers were coming back in off the water as i was leaving to come home, due to the conditions being so rough. I have a feeling both of their moms will be getting bad news on this Mother's Day, very sad.

Other than that, it was a beautiful morning by the water. It was too rough for most of the birds, although I did get a good pic of a vulture. The wind had whipped lots of branches and greenery all over the place, as well as trash cans, and he was interested in the latter.

10. Diane Lane

Registered

There's a neighborhood barbecue at the beach this weekend. I'm just trying to knock out as many big chores as I can, so I can rest. We've got another garage sale coming up in a few weeks, so I need to go through my things again, and sort through what's left over from the last sale.

How about y'all? Any big weekend plans?

11. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

All of you sound like you will be having good relaxing weekends. That is generally my preferred weekend occupation as well.

But this weekend, I'm going to take a young man, (15 y/o), to one of his wrestling matches on Saturday. His dad is a lineman, and he has been called out concerning the tornadoes. His mom is a great mom, but she can't stand to watch his sporting endeavors. The possibility of him receiving an injury makes her nauseous.

I've known Kaleb since his birth, and I started tutoring Him in Feburary for Math, so we've become friends, and we found that even with the difference of 48 years in our ages, we still share have a few thing in common. Like wrestling. I have gone to two of his matches already, so of course I said I would take him. I'll be up at 4:30 am, leave at 5:15, and gather him by 6:30, for his 8:00 am match.

So a busy part of the weekend for me.

image.jpg

Diane Lane likes this.
  12. Richard Paradon

Richard Paradon Supreme Member
    Registered

I find the same problem with retirement...NOT! Actually, Ken, I miss working but over here it is too much of a hassle and if I was caught, I'd wind up in jail and most likely deported. Sounds like a hard rule, but any job a Thai can do, I foreigner may not.

Diane Lane likes this.
  13. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm retired so I have a 7 day weekend. No, change that! :eek: Considering the list of things that my wife wants done it's a 7 day work week.:(

14. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

I also work at home so one day does seem like another. I must do a llitle every day or either I will not get paid. This week is birthday week for 3 members of my family along with the holiday. Very busy times and still must work a few hours every day.

Diane Lane likes this.
  15. Diane Lane

Registered

I'll still do some work, but will also work on things I enjoy, once I get the chores knocked out. I try not to drive too much on holiday weekends. Unfortunately, there are just too many impaired drivers these days, so I'll stay in the local area, and try to avoid the tourists.