Anyone Much For Bars?

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Kitty Carmel, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

The book I'm reading made me think of this subject.

I'm not much for them. When I was in my early 20's this dingy friend I had would go to one in particular. They had Pac-Man tables and you could play the game (a rather big thing in the early 80's) and drink your drink. I often didn't drink alcohol as I drove.

The last bar I was in was well over 10 years ago in San Francisco. A nice bar at the hotel I stayed at. I had two lemon drop vodka martinis and they didn't skimp on the alcohol. But I just had to walk to my room.

Bobby Cole and Chrissy Cross like this.
  2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Ive never been into bars. Even when I did drink, it seldom was at a bar.

I do like burgers in Pubs though.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  3. Kitty Carmel

Registered

I think a pub is considered different than a bar @Chrissy Cross It's more of a place to eat and maybe drink where a bar is considered mainly alcohol if I'm thinking that right.

My town has places like that especially downtown but I'm not much for eating in restaurants.

Bobby Cole and Chrissy Cross like this.
  4. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Yeah I know but just thought I'd mention it. Many restaurants have bars also and people sit and have drinks before being seated but not me.

5. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Bars are ook...but have not had need of one in many years. I went to dance halls...that served liquor more than any place. Infact met my hubby there and a year later he proposed there.That was a awesome affair that night:D

6. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

The odor permeating every bar I ever entered "turned me off" to them forever. After work, filled with every kind of worker, from office to scurvy laborer, it may have been a combination of body odor and the stink of beer or alcohol.

But, one bar which struck me as the most wonderful place of it's type, existed years ago in Las Vegas, in the Stardust Hotel. It was named Aku Aku, serving both exotic drinks and food. If these pics carry over, they will give an idea. The drinks were superb, all most unusual, and priced for the times. Not long after my nephew Dan & I took over the service station, we took our wives there one evening. Dan's wife, a good person but not very "worldly", ordered a "Raccoon Ruby"! Dan winced. My own wife, of course knew instantly it was "Rangoon". It's pictured below (red color). Frank

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Veteran Member
    Registered

Living in a somewhat 'Tourist' city, we have friends that fly out for the CMA awards,
    or just to see what all the fuss is about and enjoy the Country Music that our city is famous for.

While they visit, at some point we will meet up and hit some of the 'hang outs' with them.
    Luckily, this doesn't happen too often.

I know a few bar owners, having done work for them at some point, and we will get an invite to come down
    for some grub and maybe check out a new micro brew, or some renovation they have done.
    Again, grateful this is not very often.

Last bar for us was a small, non-country place after a show at the Tennessee
    Preforming Arts Center.
    Stopped in for a quiet drink and a munchie plate.
    Nice younger crowd and was a nice way to finish the evening.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  8. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

My brother's Fiance owns a small country bar over here. A couple of years ago we used to go on a Saturday afternoon play pool and listen to good music on the juke box for a few hours with them. My husband would drink a few beers while I drank the bottle of tea or gatorade I brought since I had to drive us home across town. We both loved to play pool so we enjoyed this outing that also gave us time with my sibling and his then girlfriend. Usually during that time we were the only ones in the bar and that's how I liked it. We usually went around 1pm and left around 5pm to head home.

Of course when I was much, much younger I went to a lot of bars just like all my friends did...and all the places that dance bands were playing too.

Those bar days are long over for both of us but yes there was a time in my life I bar hopped along with all my friends.

Here in Louisiana though almost every place you eat out at has a bar...so once in awhile we still are in that kind of "bar".

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
    Bobby Cole and Tim Burr like this.
  9. Kitty Carmel

Registered

Yes, I think I'd like a pub atmosphere more than a bar. Bars in restaurants, that's something I'm learning from this book I'm reading.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  10. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

The last two or three times I was in a bar I went to hear my brother and his band play country music. It was a private birthday party in a small bar in a small town outside Wichita Falls, TX. My son put himself through six years of college playing at the same club six nights a week. My son played pedal steel and saxophone, depending on the song. We would go out to hear my brother or my son play. Up until I moved to Oklahoma I,often ended my day with a vodka tonic, usually at home but some time at a local bar.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  11. May Benot

May Benot Veteran Member
    Registered

Yes well, I travelled state to state around Australia for 20 yrs working in pubs as a barmaid ( barperson now) never regretted it, met some interesting characters as well as some a! /!es along the way LOL!
    Most pubs today are hopeless imo, they concentrate on pokie machines or sports betting rather than creating a good experience for customers, rarely see any live bands anymore, whereas years ago, the local pub would be a good venue for newly formed bands and kids just wanting to make music etc
    There's a golf course around the corner from where I live which has a tavern with a decent outdoor area for smokers /vapers and the staff are very friendly so I go there most Sat. afternoons with a friend ... few beers, light conversation, watch the golfers tee off ...but we never sit inside, the atmosphere is different somehow, as if we have to sit, be well behaved, stay quiet ( like kids) whereas, sitting outside, we tell sexist jokes, engage in verbal ribaldry with others of our mixed company vintage and have a gay old time ( is that too un PC?):D

12. Tom Tit

Tom Tit Veteran Member
    Registered

I mostly go to a pub for a meal,or just for a beer,its a country pub,we all know one another,so no matter wat we say,it don't offend,,
    modern pubs are crap imo,,no character about them

13. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Just to let you know, Bill........you used "bar" and "club" in your reply here. Basically, they are two different types of places. Generally a bar is too small to accommodate a band, whereas a club, aka "nightclub" is made for a band and dancing and/or DJ.

At least that's the difference I've known.

14. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Only time I went into a bar was in the Navy overseas. They mainly consisted of pool table, dart playing and a Juke Box.
    Now, for nightclubs, I went to those for years, when I was single/divorced. Live band and dance floor. Since meeting my wife, we've been to some Country-Western nightclubs in both So California and a couple in Colorado. Where we live now, there use to be a place called Latitude 360 that had a full bowling area, pool tables, restaurant, game area, band and dance area that we go to on Friday or Saturday nights sometimes. Especially when our favorite bands were playing.

Can't wait to get back to going to (once in a while) the Country-Western nightclubs in Colorado. Wrangler jeans, Lace-Up Roper boots and cowboy hats all over the place. Our kind of nightclub!!

15. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Here we have Country bars, Sports bars, and almost every restaurant has a separate bar too.

Sooner or later even if one is trying to avoid them...one will find themselves in a bar setting over here whether intentional or not. :)

Chrissy Cross likes this.