Apostles Creed

Discussion in 'Politics & Government' started by Lulu Moppet, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Lulu Moppet

Lulu Moppet Veteran Member
    Registered

"I believe in God, the Father Almighty, creator of heaven and earth. Do you believe in Jesus Christ? I believe in Jesus Christ, his only Son, our Lord, who was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died, and was buried; he descended to the dead."

Every President Recited This Prayer Except Trump, And People Definitely Noticed
    "People on Twitter are calling out President Donald Trump for failing to recite the Apostles’ Creed at the funeral for former President George H. W. Bush on Wednesday.

Footage from the event shows much of the church, including the former presidents seated with Trump, standing to recite the profession of faith.

Trump and first lady Melania Trump stood, but did not recite the prayer, which was written in the program, nor did they sing the hymns.

Given Trump’s widespread support among evangelical Christians, that led to plenty of criticism on social media"
    https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/donald-trump-apostles-creed_us_5c08d01ce4b0bf813ef4063c

Bobby Cole likes this.
  2. Beatrice Taylor

Beatrice Taylor Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm not Donald Trump's biggest supporter and I noticed that too but I didn't read much into it.

I thought that Trump acted in a very polite and respectful way somewhat out of character for him.

I also wondered how Trump was feeling about some of his comments about the Bushes and specifically the thousand points of light that was referenced multiple times by various speakers.

I think that it was wonderful that he attended and hopefully listened to enough of the comments to do a little personal reflection and soul-searching about his own life, I know I did.

“Those who look for the bad in people will surely find it." - Attributed to Abraham Lincoln

Beth Gallagher and Bobby Cole like this.
  3. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Only D. Trump and Melania can answer that question and I’m sure that at some point he will inform everyone why.

As a mere speculation, there are those who refuse to make the statement (in this version of the creed) that Christ “descended to the dead” or “descended into hell”. 1 Peter 3:19 does make a reference that Jesus preached to the dead but still, in the original “Roman Creed” there is no such reference as Jesus decending anywhere but instead, the creed goes directly to His resurrection.
    If D. Trump’s reasoning is as I wrote, then he would not have said any of it rather than just omitting the single phrase.

Do Note: There are some who will not “swear on the Bible” prior to testifying in court so not saying the creed because of belief in an error would not be much of a stretch.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    Maggie Mae and Beatrice Taylor like this.
  4. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't care what Trump does or doesn't do...the media is always going to find fault with him. Trump was there out of respect for a former President...it is no secret that the Bushes did not care for him and probably vice versa. If Obama had still been President the media would be faulting him for reciting the Creed when they know that Muslims (which most of them consider him) do not even believe Jesus was God's Son....

5. Lulu Moppet

Lulu Moppet Veteran Member
    Registered

I wouldn't have noticed. I wanted to watch the whole thing on TV but had to go out for the day. Trump attended as the Bush family ceded to HW's request that he be invited and welcomed.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  6. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Many Evangelicals don't believe in reciting the Creeds, so I don't know that Trump not doing that would affect them one way or the other. The Nicene Creed is what held the Church together in the days before the final canon of the New Testament had been decided, and is still used by churches today. It formed the theologicla standard against which Christians were judged.

Beatrice Taylor and Bobby Cole like this.
  7. Beatrice Taylor

Beatrice Taylor Veteran Member
    Registered

I've been thinking about this and it could be as simple as not being able to follow the text from the program without his glasses, I know that would be a problem for me.

[​IMG]

Bobby Cole likes this.
  8. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

If he had recited it from memory while standing at attention, the media would have found something to criticize.

My first thought was, "Is that all they got??????"

9. Jack Knight

Jack Knight Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Elected to the office of the president for me means he is there to do a job. I question how does that affect job performance?

So many references to the bible why not the one about " Those without sin cast the 1st. stone" Substituting "personal choice" for sin.

10. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

When I was growing up in my Mom and Dad's Catholic Church the Apostle's Creed was pretty much a part of every mass. When I chose my own places to worship God that weren't Catholic I hardly ever heard that prayer prayed as part of the Worship Services. Trump is not afraid to speak about God, but like all of us his personal faith is probably just that and whatever prayers he prays are between him and God. And just because we didn't see his lips moving doesn't mean he wasn't praying that prayer either. As I said before the News media would have found something negative to say whether Trump did recite that prayer or not.

Don Alaska and Yvonne Smith like this.
  11. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Although I'm not very religious, the Apostles creed is my favorite and I still know it by heart....it gives me goosebumps...don't ask me why. :)

12. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Trump probably wasn't invited to speak at Bush's funeral. It's no secret that they weren't best of friends. I believe George H.W. Bush said he voted for Hillary. The people who speak at a funeral should be those who had a special relationship with the deceased. Trump attended, as he should have, and behaved as he should have. Had he insisted on speaking, without having been invited to do so, he would have been roundly criticized for making it about him.

Beatrice Taylor and Yvonne Smith like this.
  13. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

That is what I read also, he was supposed to attend the funeral, but not participate.

14. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

I was going to add my two cents worth here...but my inner voice said..Shut up Gloria...:)

15. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I have that inner voice too but it doesn't seem to stop me. :)

Beatrice Taylor and Lulu Moppet like this.