Appearance Affecting Popular Impressions

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Frank Sanoica, Dec 22, 2016.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

Two guys come to mind: Steve Buscemi, and Danny Trejo. Both great fellas, mellow, easy to understand. Except for their appearance.

" 'You know, I won't work again if you fix my teeth" Buscemi, regarding his appearance.
    Steve's most impressive performance IMO was in "Con Air", where he played a maniacal killer, whose face was kept hidden by a strapped on mask, by police. The crowning touch came when he sat down with a little girl playing with her dollies, the prevailing impression being he was about to do horrible harm to her. (he didn't).

Danny Trejo, I first saw in some obscure movie in a motel room, while travelling for Sears. He looked horrible. Today he does commercials, still looking horrible.

I leave it to others to offer images. I looked, and looked, but my searches were not what I wanted to show, depicting these two at their best. Am certain most know what I mean by "appearances" often generating unexpected consequences!

Frank

2. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I can remember a time when they wanted Barbra Streisand to fix her nose because those who were promoting her, etc. believed it would "turn people off" and keep her from being becoming a star in the music profession. Her nose would outshine her beautiful voice. Boy were they wrong about that and she also ended up being a star in the movies too with that big nose not standing in her way at all. In fact, it actually helped set her apart...in a way you could say that big nose "nosed" her up the ladder of success. ;)
    th (12).jpg

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
    Martin Alonzo and Ike Willis like this.
  3. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Makes me laugh when people go on about looks, as long as people make an effort they're fine by me
    I like personality in a person every time :)

4. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Personality and a sense of humor is my criteria for being attracted to a man. If youve noticed in all the posts about good looking stars and who you think is great looking ...I never reply.

Clooney or any other of the popular choices do nothing for me.

Patsy Faye and Frank Sanoica like this.
  5. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Chrissy Cross
    When I was a teen, one of the current actresses who starred in several of those Biblical saga movies drove me half nuts. Just enough was tantalizingly revealed to seriously whet a young guy's appetite. Today, I'm not sure what her name was........
    Frank

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  6. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Well, guys think differently. ;)

7. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

His beliefs, personality, and sense of humor is what is important to me...but it doesn't hurt if the looks come along with that! And I was happy to find all those things in my husband. :)

8. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I don't have to have the same beliefs....i was very different than my husband, but it worked. He was a gun nut, I wasn't. We were both kind of the same in our religious beliefs or lack of them. He was also very conservative...I wasn't.

He was easy going though and he had no problem having the kids baptized Catholic because at the time that's what I wanted.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  9. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, years ago, personality and looks seemed to be the big thing with tv/movie stars. Just look at the ladies in Charlie's Angeles, Angie Dickinson in Policewoman and Burt Reynolds back then. Now, today, personality and looks can play a major part in job hunting. Add a college degree to that "looks and personality" and nice/high paying jobs are there. Some of you will disagree with this, but a lot of Outside Sales people are good-looking with personalities that match their selling abilities. A number of ladies that work in the cosmetic and beauty departments of stores are definitely good-looking w/good personalities. There are certain jobs where a certain weight is a requirement. Of course an employer won't discuss "looks" with a prospective employee, but the interviewer is sure looking the person over. It sure isn't like the olden days!

When my wife and I met, she was thinner than she is today and I was as well. Our "looks", along with personality, was big attractions for both of us. She loved Western clothes, Western dancing, rodeo, boating and target shooting and so did I. I bought her her first pair of Lace-Up Ariat Roper boots and we got rid of all her old pointed boots. I took her to a lot of rodeo's and our first firearm was her Ruger 10/22 rifle. I was pulled back into the church and being more Christian by her and that was fine with me.

Oh yea, we were/are very compatible!

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  10. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

As a Christian, anyone I marry would have to share that faith too (and my husband does). But our personality and likes, etc. can be as different as day is from night. It is good to have some things in common though to me.

11. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, we have never had "Boys" or "Girls" "Night Out". Years ago, a boss she had told her that the Department was going out after work for a drink. She asked him if I come along and he said "this is just for our Department". She didn't go and he never ask her again, which was fine with her. Our boat doesn't go on the water unless both of us are on it. Target Range and even shopping........done together. Yep, in many ways, we are "connected at the hips" and love our marriage that way.

12. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Chrissy Cross "having the kids baptized Catholic because at the time that's what I wanted."

This circumstance was a "bone of contention" when my wife-to-be, raised Catholic, and I was not, the Church back then requiring that the non-Catholic sign an agreement stating any children from the marriage would be raised as Catholics. I just could not sign such a statement, because I would be using my name to enforce a lie: I fully expected to NOT raise my kids by any enforced religious rules.

So, we consulted with several Priests. 3 of them. One, suggested I sign it, then forget about it. Second suggested waiting, the Church was expected to drop that requirement (when, he didn't know). Third, suggested we marry in a Lutheran Church, only difference obvious there would be no cross embellishing the pulpit. We did that, her folks not thrilled, but they felt she was an adult, able to make adult decisions; besides, they felt we had been "living in sin" anyway! Oooh, what nice sin!

The hypocrisy shown by the Priests further distanced me from the religion itself. As years went by, the much-publicized revelations which shook the church to it's very foundations, supported my early doubts.

At any rate, we did not have any children, by choice, which proved a God-send if viewed after the fact given the loss of her parents and brother, tragically.
    Frank

13. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

@Cody Fousnaugh My husband and I would not participate in "Boys" or "Girls" "Night Out" either. But we don't feel the need to do everything together either. There is nothing wrong with doing everything together if you are both happy with that. But there is also nothing wrong with doing some things with out your spouse. For instance I would not like to go to a Football game but I often watch football games on TV with my husband and I would not mind if he went to a game with his friends. My husband would not like to go grocery shopping or any other kind of shopping with me, he hates shopping more than I do.:) In all honesty I don't want to be "connected at the hips" 24/7 with my husband...I like and need my own space at times and so does he. :)

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  14. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I was married in a Lutheran church because my husband was divorced.

We jumped through some hoops to get the kids baptized catholic but I don't remember what they were.

Then I didn't raise them catholic anyway.

My daughter went through the sacraments as an adult before marrying in a Catholic Church.

Her husband did the same, he was raised the same.

My son chose Methodist because he knew the pastor and they've settled in to the Methodist religion but neither family is religious....meaning they don't go to church too often.

15. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Sounds like y'all are a match made in heaven for sure Cody!:)