Apple Cider Vinegar Imponderable

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Frank Sanoica, Oct 21, 2019.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

I keep reading volumes about Apple Cider Vinegar, seeing ingratiating commercial ads aimed at leaving the reader spellbound, ready to buy the product.

What truth is there in the claims?

I just dug this up:

"Although oral use of small quantities of apple cider vinegar is considered safe, ingestion of apple cider vinegar in tablet form poses a risk of injury to soft tissues of the mouth, throat, stomach, and kidneys. Irritation and redness are common when the eyes come into contact with vinegar, and corneal injury can occur.[6] Using vinegar as a topical medication, ear cleaning solution, or eye wash, is hazardous. Due to its acidity, exposure of teeth from consuming undiluted apple cider vinegar may damage tooth enamel. Although small amounts of apple cider vinegar may be used as a food flavoring, it may be unsafe for use by pregnant and breastfeeding women and by children. Different commercial brands of apple cider vinegar were found to have inconsistent acid levels, with some contaminated by molds and yeast."

My gut reactions have been: why apples? Why not a myriad of other fruits having known antioxidant properties such as blueberries? Looks to me like any fruit capable of being made into wine, can also b e made into vinegar.

Perhaps @Joy Martin has some input?
    Frank

2. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

@Frank Sanoica, don't get me started on apple cider vinegar (ACV)

I used to belong to a goat health forum. Most members thought ACV would fix ANYTHING, including... get this... add ACV to the water of your goats to help produce more females than males during kidding season. :rolleyes:

Weird thing was, no other kind of vinegar would work, or so they said, and it supposedly only took a few teaspoons in a bucket of water. :confused:

The only thing it didn't cure was worms, mites, and lice. For that some swore by garlic. Maybe it runs the mites off due to the smell. lol

3. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

At least it's cheap.

4. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

I don't like to taste anything weird, regardless of it's supposed medical properties.

5. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Actually, I was thinking about taking 2 teaspoons a day. But I forgot what for. Maybe it was for memory problems?

6. Teresa Levitt

Teresa Levitt Veteran Member
    Registered

I had an elderly patient that drank it mixed with OJ every morning. ..said it was good for his constitution. ..I use it in bowls out on my porch. ..mixed with dish liquid. ..traps and kills the flies and gnats

7. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

Exactly.

8. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

As people grow older the ability to produce stomach acid decreases this can cause a cascade of deficiencies in the body due to poor digestion. A bit of ACV is probably safer than taking hydrochloric acid which is the acid found there. I have personally seen people get off their Acid reflux drugs by using ACV before eating. And you know it is cheap like me.

9. Jim Nash

Jim Nash Veteran Member
    Registered

Skin tags can be a bind. A pad soaked in apple vinegar and covered. Change daily, it will shrink and disappear in weeks. A bind but surgical removal from the genitals costs a lot of money.

10. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

It is supposed to be good for the heart, weight loss, and heaven knows whatever else. Yuck, wouldn't touch it.