Apple Pencil?

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Yvonne Smith, Nov 29, 2015.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Most of the first youtube video reviews of the new iPad Pro and the Apple Pencil were pretty "sketchy", so to speak. The new product was not actually on the market so that people could purchase one until earlier this month. Now that it has been out for at least a few weeks, we are starting to see some reviews from artists who have the new iPad.
    This video was actually done by a lady who is an artist and is interested in having the iPad Pro and Pencil for painting and sketching with . She explains how the pencil works, and why it is more sensitive than just using one of the regular styluses to draw with .
    I think that it is pretty impressive how well she can use that Apple Pencil like it was an actual pencil (on paper) for shading when she is sketching and wants it to look like a charcoal sketch.

She also compares it with the Surface Pro 4, which costs about the same as the iPad Pro; but you have to deal with that awful new Windows starting page. I have a Dell XPS-18, and it has Windows on it, and I seriously HATE using that computer !
    The Apple iOS is just SO much more user-friendly, at least it is to me. @Bobby Cole can figure it out, so I leave it up to him to do most anything that has to be done with the Dell.

But, back to the Apple Pencil, it looks like this would be awesome for any kind of drawing or even painting with . One of the apps she mentions is the Procreate app, and it is also available for the older iPads, so a person could actually get a feel for the app using their current iPad and stylus.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  2. Yvonne Smith

Today I spent most of the day visiting with Robin (my daughter) and she gave me an Apple Pencil to use with the iPad Pro . It looks like a white plastic pencil, and enables you to draw and write notes on the iPad easier, and is responsive to the lightness/hardness of how hard you touch it on the screen.
    I have been charging it up and reading a little bit more about how to use it and which apps it will work with; but so far I do not have any actual "hands-on experience" with the pencil.
    I know that many of us have ipads; but I have not seen any threads about the Apple Pencil , and thought I would start one.
    Here is a video that shows what it does and also some of the apps that it works with. I have the Procreate app to draw with ; but I have to practice using it more than I have done.

3. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Looks good to me, but I have no idea about these things
    When you do a drawing would you be able to show it on the forum ?

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  4. Yvonne Smith

I am still getting used to using this; so I won't be producing any drawings to share right away, but yes, I can do that, @Patsy Faye . I can save the picture into my picture files just like a photo, and then load it up on here the same way as photos.
    Right now I can sign my name and make a Smiley Face; but I will definitely be watching more of the drawing/painting youtube videos to learn how to use both the Apple Pencil and the drawing apps.
    I think that I can also use it with some of the photo-editing apps and make changes to pictures when I am editing those. All in all, it is going to be fun, and something that I think I will enjoy doing once I earn the basics.

Patsy Faye likes this.
  5. Patsy Faye

Registered

I am so tempted with this although I just can't draw !!
    But - it would be fun trying !
    I will look into this new fangled gizmo :p

6. Yvonne Smith

It only works with an iPad Pro , @Patsy Faye . Although they are probably going to have the patents so that it will work with the iphone by the next edition of that, it does not work with even any of the older ipads. I was telling @Ina I. Wonder about the Apple Pencil; but it won't work with her ipad either, only with the iPad Pro.
    However, there are other styluses that work with some of the other tablets, so it is still possible to use those with the drawing apps and draw or paint a picture.

7. Patsy Faye

Registered

Oh dear, I've never seen an ipad :oops:
    I thought I could buy a drawing tablet, I've looked up ipads and what they provide and mostly I don't need one, I'm happy with me laptop and Kindle
    The drawing aspect is great though maybe there will be something in the future that provides
    that aspect
    Thanks for the info :)

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
  8. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm trying to figure out what on earth I "need" an Apple pencil for. I've gone through my iPad apps and don't see anything except one called Penultimate that might use a pencil, but I can "write" on it with my finger. Does anyone have one of these "must haves" and what on earth do you use it for? I sometimes use a regular stylus on a tablet just to avoid fingerprints, but I can't figure out the hype of the Apple pencil.

9. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

I was under the impression people use them to do art. 2nd Generation is quite expensive, but Amazon has it for almost 1/3 of the price.

10. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, that's definitely not for me; I have trouble drawing stick figures. :D

I noticed a guy using one recently and he was wearing a special glove. I asked why and he said something about the "gestures" on an iPad, so I guess dragging the palm across the screen would be annoying. (I make gestures, but no need for that discussion...haha.)

11. Yvonne Smith

I don’t use mine a whole lot except for when I am using it for editing a photo, and hope to learn to draw on the iPad and be able to use the pencil.
    It is great if you need to send someone something and mark it for some reason.
    I can take a screenshot or a photo, and then write on it with the Apple Pencil , or circle something that I want to show someone when I send them the screenshot.
    If you look at some of the Apple Pencil videos on YouTube, they are used for note taking, and other technical things that I don’t ever do. I just did a medical survey and they sent me a consent form to sign, and I was able to sign it with the Apple Pencil and send it back to them; but I would definitely investigate and see if you would use one before spending the money to get one.
    Most of the newer iPads will take an Apple Pencil, so if you have one that does, you can always get the pencil whenever you think that you would use it.

Beth Gallagher and Bess Barber like this.