Are Today's People Becoming Extremely Arrogant?

Discussion in 'Education & Learning' started by Silvia Benoit, Jun 16, 2024.

1. Silvia Benoit

Silvia Benoit Veteran Member
    Registered

While driving back home in a two (narrow) lanes local avenue...a woman parked on doble line about ten feet in front of me, open her car' s front door and exit the vehicle. I had to stop on a dime to avoid an accident. Needless to say, I told her she was a reckless one. Believe it or not she became offended and insulted me.

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes... arrogant, entitled and RUDE. I hate driving anywhere because of all the road-rage around Houston. People are so angry all the time.

Hedi Mitchell and Bobby Cole like this.
  3. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

Same here in Australia , we went for a 4 km walk yesterday and the people are so rude , some expected us to stand aside so their kids could use “our” side of the very wide clearly marked with arrows of direction footpath / bike path, other walk right into you ….yep ..entitled/ rude generation

The younger generation walk in a line 4 wide and expect others to stand aside for them ……and not to sound rude / discrimination but females are huge up here …..well for that matter everywhere .
    and being a beach / surfing area they dress very skimpy, ……many are not afraid to show off they’ve had a bikini wax

Many children around 12 y/o ride electric bikes ( 2 up ) here on same path .,they have fat tyres like a motor bike, so it’s getting a very dangerous area for us older generation to consider walking in this area ….anymore

Last edited: Jun 16, 2024
  4. Kate Ellery

Registered

This is the bikes I mentioned , can you imagine us oldies being hit by one of these, while walking on a path ……and they are only kids riding them.

They are capable of speeds up to 45 km PH …or 29 miles PH

IMG_6703.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 16, 2024
    John Nopales likes this.
  5. Silvia Benoit

Silvia Benoit Veteran Member
    Registered

Kate Ellery,

I am surprised of your words; my memories of Australia are very different but, then, I spent a month in your country 40+ years ago.

The woman today was about 60s.

Yesterday, at a local dept. store, a 3/4 years old run in front of a person shopping cart and the toddler's mother cried hell and called security...adducing the shopper almost hit her child. Fortunately the cameras proved the child' s mother was not watching her daughter

Bobby Cole and Kate Ellery like this.
  6. Kate Ellery

Registered

This is where I’m
    On holidays not my home area , I live fairly close to a beach but it’s only a small area
    Unlike Queensland

@Silvia Benoit

7. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

Here in the parks, we have what is called the "Mommy Mafia".

They're the moms with the strollers the size of Mack trucks who walk two or three abreast and WILL NOT break rank for anyone. Say anything and they'll screech, "EXCUUUUSE ME? I HAVE A BABY HERE!!!"

They walk in groups and then go into coffee shops, of course with the huge strollers because they won't leave them outside 'cause they cost up to a thousand smackeroos (think I'm exaggerating about the cost?) and also because "EXCUUUSE ME? I HAVE A BABY HERE!!!!"

Kate Ellery and John Nopales like this.
  8. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I think there are lots of reasons that there are more narcissists around. I guess for some people, not having self-awareness is probably a good thing.

9. Andrea Klasa

Andrea Klasa Member
    Registered

Yup, seriously, walking along and three people are coming towards me and will not move over! So now I walk right into them and they have to move over. However, I don't do this with males only females. I fear retribution, however, there are some real tough female secondary school students and I don't get into anything with them either.

10. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Yes, I think so. I don't know if it's a generational thing or the result of spending too much time on a cellphone and not enough time dealing with actual people.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  11. Kate Ellery

Registered

I’ve recently said to DH I think we have to grab a shopping trolly when entering big shopping complexes because of the fear of being rammed by a trolly ( which actually happed to me recently in Adelaide ) I was hit twice by the same shopper while I was standing hard against a huge box where they put the veggies on the top in an open area in a SM ,

I was reaching for a kg bag of onions and he hit my back bounced off my back and right into my leg / ankle I fractured 3 years ago …..the came back and hit me again while I was chatting the the fruit and veg manager who seen it all happen
    Of course the supermarket didn’t even want to know my name let alone find ask if I was OK

Last edited: Jun 17, 2024
    John Nopales likes this.
  12. Kate Ellery

Registered

Think common sense and respect died out long ago …… now a “it’s someone else’s fault little Johnny is out of control “
    And has to take medication to control outbursts.
    @John Brunner

and all these young mums MUST ..have to have a car park right by the shops door , ( Entitled generation)while us oldies can risk being hit by a car while walking miles through a car park cause there’s no special car parks for us …..

Our neighbours son is a school teacher for junior school kids who are so out of control they now have a special school for such kids in the city.

The kids know how to use foul language and know the teacher can’t even “ chat them “ for the fear of parents threatening to sue the school or threaten the life of the teacher. …Sigh …

That same neighbours ( son );has 2 young children and his wife can’t possibly change the younger ones nappy alone
    she calls him to come with her , and has done so since the first child was born .

They are in the process of getting a home built next to our neighbours so the grandparents can help them manage the kids ….the 3 year old swears F and C words …at his parents when told to go to bed ….( the same man who teaches kids with behaviour issues )

John Brunner likes this.
  13. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I wonder if being "latchkey kids" with no real parenting and a ton of materialism hasn't made narcissists out of some number of people.

No Self = No Self Awareness = No Empathy

I wonder what happens when these people collide with each other.

14. Kate Ellery

Registered

That’s prob where Facebook comes in @John Brunner I’ve never had FB but I’ve heard some terrible stuff that gos on there
    To me FB sounds like a step up / of continuing saga as they grow up from being entitled kids to entitled teens / adults

John Brunner likes this.
  15. Kate Ellery

Registered

I don’t know about other countries , but has anyone noticed , if females act like they are singing a song when they speak .

John Brunner likes this.