Are You Ready For Black History Month In February?

Discussion in 'Holidays & Traditions' started by Lon Tanner, Jan 30, 2021.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

That's certainly your right Pete but I suspect that you are not a real curious person.

2. Peter Renfro

Peter Renfro Veteran Member
    Registered

You would be very mistaken there Lon. Very mistaken.
    Can you please explain what would cause you to think that?

3. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Wife and I like staying informed, but Black History isn't a big thing to me. Now, if the month was about Indian Nations (Sioux, Cheyenne, Blackfoot and others) Month and/or The Indian Wars, I'd be really, really interested.

4. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I find most history is very interesting, but don’t try to organize it by political designations. If this is the only time that people of any nationality learn about Black history, then I think that this is a terrible shame.
    So, I will not do much of anything different this month than I do in any other month, and will pursue historical information of anything that interests me.
    Truthfully, if we are going to have a Black history month, then I believe that there should be one for Native Americans, so that people can learn about their history as well.
    After all, they were here ahead of any of the rest of us.

Then , we have the early immigrants who came here from places like Germany, and some children who were sent over as white slaves from Ireland.
    Even further back, we have evidence of ancient cultures on North America that built pyramids, and might have had Hebrew or even Egyptian roots. So much we do not know.
    Every month should be History Month.

Shirley Martin likes this.
  5. Lon Tanner

Registered

I am not doing anything different for Black History Month other than to satisfy my curiousity in history about Blacks that have made a significant contribution to mankind and the U.S. in particular.

5,000 African-American Men Fought in the Continental Army. ... How many non blacks know this or even care?

6. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

And how many blacks know this or even care? I don't know how many white men or black men fought in the Continental Army and I couldn't care less.

Cody Fousnaugh and John Brunner like this.
  7. Lon Tanner

Registered

I'm sure Blacks know this and care, because their lives have been impacted by it.My Life and yours have not.

8. Tex Dennis

Tex Dennis Veteran Member
    Registered

After a long time in law enforcement and the existence of black officer's association yet we were not allowed to form a white officer's association as it "would just cause trouble" my concern dropped a lot but on the other hand most my close friends are not white. So am I ready, makes not any difference at all here, all just be safe stay healthy.
    Den

9. Hoot Crawford

Hoot Crawford Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't watch a lot of TV, so it doesn't really impact me at all. Plus I am not a history buff. But if you are interested, then by all means, take it all in. For most of us, when we were taught history, it was from a very eurocentric point of view.

Yvonne Smith and Beth Gallagher like this.
  10. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I recall a focus on Texas history, world history, and American history. No focus on race at all unless germane to the topic, such as the Civil War.

11. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

As far as History goes, I do remember the Buffalo Soldiers which was all-Black Regiments in the Calvary. We actually talked to a biker group that had the name Buffalo Soldiers on the back of their jackets. Very nice guys who were all Black. Very nice.