Areas By Race

Discussion in 'History & Geography' started by Cody Fousnaugh, May 28, 2017.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Ok........there is China Town, Little Saigon, South Central, Watts, Compton, East L.A., parts of Santa Ana (California) and other areas across the U.S. that primarily have only one race living in them. I've been on a relocation forum where people have asked what the demographics are for a certain area they are thinking of moving to. Could these people be considered "racist" for wondering about demographics and by asking the question "Would I fit in?".

2. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

No, I don't think so
    It wouldn't have occurred to me years back, now, I would ask
    Although it will be pointless to do so in a few years time :p

3. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

In the US you're only considered racist if you're a white conservative. :)

I'm just joking here Cody.

I'm not concerned about what race lives by me but if it's a crime and gang ridden area or not. That's my criteria.

Last edited: May 28, 2017
    Yvonne Smith likes this.
  4. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

I read online that some families in different races want to live in an area where it is mostly-to-all their race. When people from India move to an area in the U.S., they'd like to have an Indian restaurant and grocery store to go to. Asians are the same way.

What gets me is a lot of White folks are called "racist" yet there are those, from other races, that prefer to live in an area that is mostly their race. There are cities and states in the U.S. that the demographics is almost all White and some folks call those areas "racist". If certain races don't want to live in a certain state, city or town, that should be up to them.

5. Chrissy Cross

Registered

That's true but you can't stop a person from moving into your secluded section of a city.

Meaning if I wanted to, I could live in Chinatown. Also, if a Chinese person wanted to move to an all white neighborhood..he can.

But mostly people just want to be where they feel comfortable.

6. Harry Havens

Harry Havens Veteran Member
    Registered

Your question is "could these people be considered racist". Yes.

7. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

We had a mixture of races join us after the war, Jewish, Indian, Jamaicans and was no problem whatsoever from my perspective
    Idiots did object as usual :rolleyes:
    But when 'your' country becomes so like another and one you wouldn't dream of going to - that's when it really hits you
    Its like you've woken in a foreign land

8. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

I really wouldn't consider them "racist" for wanting to know. My thinking is: we use that word "racist" way to much. It's a person's choice if they don't want to live in a diverse area.
    Wife and I aren't into "diversity" that much at all. I sure wouldn't think of us as "racist" because of that.

9. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

True, people can't be stopped, but "common sense" should tell a person certain things. East L.A. Is mostly, if not all, Hispanic. Any other race probably wouldn't feel comfortable or possibly safe living there.

10. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Agree that racist is used too much lately...I'm not a racist, maybe more of a snob,lol. I have to live in the better neighborhoods.

And believe it or not those neighborhoods aren't always white. My daughter lives in a nice area and some of their best friends are 2 Hispanic couples. Well the wives are white but the husbands aren't.

In fact the one owns a huge janitorial service and has given my grandson a summer job. He starts after they come back from the Mediterranean cruise they're going on soon.

He's going to be washing windows at the Pebble Beach Country Club for $14 an hour. :)

The Hispanic husbands are Mexican but I'm not sure I can use Mexican...some say yes, some say no.

The other couple are chiropractors with their own business.

There is also a black couple in the neighborhood, a few Asians.

11. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I'm not familiar with East LA but it sounds like it's a bad area and not because it's Hispanic but probably crime ridden with gangs and such.

12. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

In my opinion, the term "racism" is badly misused. Broadly defined, I suppose the ability to recognize skin tone or facial features could be considered racism, as it makes us aware of our differences, but that doesn't mean that we hate one another.

Feeling more comfortable living in a place where the grocery stores sell food that we use, where the restaurants serve cuisine to our liking, and people speak a language that we understand might also be defined as racism, but it's not the same as feeling superior to people of another race or hating people of another ethnicity.

I won't speak for everyone here, but I think it's fair to say that most of us are not card-carrying members of the Ku Klux Klan, or members of the American Nazi Party, or the equivalent in other parts of the world. I don't think I would be too far off if I were to assume that most of us don't sympathize with white supremacists.

Yet, too many people will use a very broad definition of racism to define someone, then place them in the same category as the KKK, and that's unfair and a misuse of both language and reasonable thinking.

Conversely, in the United States at least, but probably in other countries as well, it is socially acceptable for someone to join the ethnic equivalent of the KKK or the Nazi Party, as it has become okay to hate white people.

Someone would be unlikely ever to accede to public office if it were learned that they were a member of an organization called the National Association for the Advancement of White People, and most people would probably lose their jobs if such a membership were revealed, yet membership in the NAACP is viewed as a qualification for public office, and even white people will join if they want to win public office in some areas.

It took longer than we had hoped for but we pretty much are in the world envisioned by George Orwell in 1984. A large part of the agenda is to confuse the meaning of language, to appropriate all of the good words for evil causes, and to make people ashamed to be defined by what had traditionally been a good word.

I'm not sure where they're going with it, but the meaning of racism is being lost. Right now, being accused of being a racist still has a debilitating effect but we are rapidly approaching the time when everyone will have been defined as a racist and, at that point, the word has lost its impact. Perhaps they have a new word in mind.

13. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Hispanic gangs. Look up East L.A. And see what it says about the area.

14. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Yes, I believe you. What I'm saying is I have no problem living in a neighborhood with hispanics or anybody unless its gang infested.

So basically I have no problem with Hispanics...it's gangs I have a problem with no matter what they are.

We have a lot of Asian gangs in Fresno in the bad part of town.

15. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

If someone doesn't like the demographics of an area, they don't have to and/or shouldn't move there. Some folks absolutely love diversity and wouldn't live somewhere where there wasn't a lot of that. If fact, some of those people think that people who don't like diversity, or that much of it, are racists. Those same people think states like Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, N/S Dakota are racist states because the demographics is so high in Whites. But, if some of other races don't feel comfortable moving/living in those states, that don't make the state racist.