Around The House

Discussion in 'Crops & Gardens' started by Martin Alonzo, Apr 21, 2016.

1. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

A walk around the house, every time I look out the window there is another plant/bush/tree growing up some good and some bad but most are not planted by us just by accident like spitting out the seeds when eating a fruit.
    Granada or pomegranate.jpg Passion fruit .jpg soursop and avocado .jpg Guava or guayaba.jpg Papaya or lechosa .jpg Platino also bread fruit .jpg Sour orange .jpg Pomegranate ans soursopr.jpg
    These are just a few now growing around the house pomegranates, passion fruit, soursop, papaya, avocados, oranges, lemons, guava and some we did plant platano, and bread fruit.

2. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

Seems soon you'll have lots of fruits to eat how wonderful. We had a breadfruit connection long ago and we love to over ripen it and bake it with butter to eat. Your wife can make some lovely breads and cakes too with fresh fruits! It's lovely to look at too while the fruits are growing. Thanks for sharing them!

3. Texas Beth

Texas Beth Veteran Member
    Registered

I want to come to your house to eat! I am slowly making my entire backyard into a place to help me with the household food bill. I would love to grow green pears. I need to see if they can grow well in zone 8.

4. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

We saw tons of that stuff which "snuck in" from the Orient, "Kudzu" is it (?) while driving through Mississippi. It was climbing up trees, telephone poles, literally choking plants upon which it dwealt. Nasty plant.
    Frank

5. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

Gee, @Martin Alonzo, it looks like you have a farm in your home. With that many plants and trees, you have an enviable yard. Is that the passion fruit that is crawling in the iron grills? And how to do you eat the bread fruit? It used to be a delicacy here but now I don't see any bread fruit candy anymore.

We also do that sometimes - planting seeds of what we eat. The most recent experiment by yours truly is the cantaloupe that was so sweet. I got some seeds and planted them in our backyard. In a week or 2, there were the sprouts and I didn't notice that it has become a sort of cantaloupe patch. However, the fruit is not that big but the quality is just fine like the mother fruit. Here is the pic of the largest fruit that crawled at the bottom of the dragon fruit plant - IMG_1153  melon.JPG

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  6. Martin Alonzo

Registered

My poor Mango tree is starting to have its braches break under the weight of the fruit. These mangos weigh in at 1 lb or more. Mango.jpg

Yvonne Smith and Frank Sanoica like this.
  7. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Martin Alonzo Wow! An experience unknown to most Canadians! Do you ever miss the "cold country"?
    Frank

8. Martin Alonzo

Registered

When I get a little home sick for Canada I take out a few photos of ice/snow storm and t go away. If anyone else wants to escape we always have an open door here.

Frank Sanoica likes this.