Asparagus Comimg Up

Discussion in 'Crops & Gardens' started by Sheldon Scott, Apr 5, 2016.

1. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

I saw the first asparagus yesterday. Very small and thin, probably from seed, but the good edible stalks can't be far behind. More potatoes are up and the kale and radishes my wife planted are coming up.

2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I love asparagus and it's usually not cheap, but when it is I buy it a lot. It's good as a side dish, or cut up and added with other veggies to dishes or I just like to eat it as a snack, dipping it into a low cal dip instead of celery or carrot sticks.

Ruby Begonia likes this.
  3. Bonnie Thomas

Bonnie Thomas Veteran Member
    Registered

Good for you Sheldon. ..
    Makes me wish I had taken the time to start a garden this spring. Most years I do, but decided to give it a break for this year. Maybe in the fall I'll get going with the plans for a new garden. Fall is a great time to get things rolling down where I live - especially if we have a winter like this last one.
    I need to check out that Old Farmers Almanac.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  4. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

I picked the first asparagus Saturday, haven't cooked it yet. Beans are coming up, peppers and tomatoes don't look too good, I hope they make it.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  5. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I looked at ours, and saw one little stalk coming up. It is not old enough for there to be enough asparagus for us to eat yet, and I have been thinnking that maybe I should dig it all up and replant it in a better area, and it will do better.
    My neighbor, @Joyce Mcgregor has moved to be closer to her family, and she gave me her rosemary bush, which is about 3' tall.
    I am worried about digging it up and transplanting it, since it is so large. But her house will be re-rented by next month, and who knows if the new people will even take care of the rosemary (or even know what it is); so I guess I will soak it good and then try to transplant it into our yard this week.
    She also is giving me some of her irises, so I will be over there and retrieving flowers most of the week.

Sheldon Scott likes this.