Assassination Reviewed

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Bobby Cole, Nov 22, 2016.

1. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Today is Nov. 22, 2016. 53 years ago today in 1963 John Fitzgerald Kennedy was assassinated.
    I remember the call coming from the speaker in my classroom stating that JFK was shot but there was no other news at that time, but shortly thereafter we got the word that he was dead.
    Where were you?

Joe Riley and Yvonne Smith like this.
  2. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

I was in the USAF stationed at Sewart Air Force Base near Nashville Tennessee.

Yvonne Smith and Bobby Cole like this.
  3. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

It was traumatic for the general public but I cannot imagine what the military was going through. I didn't enter the Army until 4 years later so it's hard to fathom what must have been happening for those who lost their commander in chief as unexpected as it was. Mass confusion I think.............

4. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I was in elementary school second grader then. I don't recall much only watching the news (black and white) about it. That was before I had to start wearing glasses. I was laying down on the floor with my head propped up very close to TV. I remember watching the thousands of people standing and cheering as the motorcade was passing through. The President and Mrs. Kennedy were waving as they passed by and then seeing the President slump over. I didn't grasp what happened nor really understood until years later.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  5. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

6. I was in first grade. Teacher came running into the room with a radio, set it on the windowsill behind the radiator (heater), and was very upset. It was an awful time.

7. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

I was working when i first heard and there was little information so everyone had to wait until we got home to turn on the TV or radio. It is sure different today.