Asteroid the Size of a Mountain -- Now Playing

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Jenn Windey, Jan 26, 2015.

1. Jenn Windey

Jenn Windey Supreme Member
    Registered

AA8B2tJ.jpg

If you are lucky enough to have a pair of binoculars tonight is the night to look to the skies. If you look towards the western sky, near Jupiter you should be able to see the asteroid, best viewing is from 8pm tonight till 1am Tuesday morning. You will need a small telescope or binoculars. But never fear if you have neither you can always find pictures and live footage online. Above is a star chart of what your looking for, sadly being on the East Coast and directly impacted by the storm Juno I will not get the chance to see this in the sky tonight.

Allie Seay likes this.
  2. Mal Campbell

Mal Campbell Supreme Member
    Registered

Boo, on needing a pair of binoculars. You had me interested until I read that. My husband and I have a hot tub (probably one of the best purchases we've ever made) and we love to sit out at night and watch the sky. Since moving to Tennessee, we see probably a dozen or so shooting stars each month. Don't know why we see so many more in TN than we did in Virginia?? Anyway, it's a great way to spend the evening, soaking in the nice hot water, enjoying each others company and watching the magnificence of Mother Nature.

Allie Seay likes this.
  3. Allie Seay

Allie Seay Veteran Member
    Registered

Thanks, Jenn. I'm not certain I'll be able to see it, either, as it looks like it's going to be too cloudy tonight. Maybe not, though. It appears to be clearing somewhat and might be better by eight o'clock.

Mal, your outdoor hot tub sounds wonderful right about now. I've been outside dragging limbs and helping my husband cut wood from a tree we had downed over the weekend. It's cold here! And windy!
    I'll bet it's colder where you're at, though.
    What part of Tennessee are you in?
    Before I came to Georgia I was in East Tennessee--Johnson City--but I've spent a lot of time on the other end of the state as well, having been born in Memphis.

4. Allie Seay

Allie Seay Veteran Member
    Registered

Well, I gave it a shot, and ended up walking to the middle of the furthest pasture in the back of our property where the viewing is best. The sky was mostly clear and I saw plenty of stars and planets. I believe I found Jupiter but I did not see the asteroid, so I could have been mistaken. Viewing the night sky for pleasure is not a new thing to me, but viewing it with the intention of also trying to identify what I see is something I've only recently taken up.
    Tonight's experience was exhilarating, but I didn't accomplish much more than scaring my horses, who are as yet unaccustomed to my walking about in their territory after I've gone in from my run.
    The poor guys.

Thanks again, Jenn.:)

Jenn Windey likes this.